Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
hrm. the low balance CC I use for not-so-safe stuff got compromised two weeks after I used it on nzb.su, anyone else heard of this happening? Might be coincidence but it's a hell of a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kes posted:

The reason you need a proper CPU (inasmuch as an APU is a "proper" CPU) is not for extracting, it's for PAR repairing and SSL if you roll with that, which something like an AMD e-350 can definitely handle. Plus it can double as your HTPC if you want.

I run my file server on an e-350 using btrfs and it works wonderfully with load rarely going over 2.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Le0 posted:

If you don't mind configuring stuff forever I guess building your own NAS is a good idea

:what: That's disingenous, there's no configuration after the initial setup.

On Ubuntu:
sabnzbd+ from the PPA
sickbeard from git (it updates itself online)
couchpotato ditto

webmin and you don't even have to SSH, and you can even control mdadm.

That setup has lived through 2 motherboard failures (one because I dropped it one because the PSU gave up the magic smoke) with minimal re-configuration (mostly wiping ubuntu's udev automatic rules for the NIC), I am not sure you could do that with any other cheapo NAS.

e: Mind you the configuration can get complicated if you go with a fancy filesystem like btrfs and zfs, but again, it's a one time thing.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 11, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Usenetserver supposedly has a $60 a year plan today only but I can't find it (it's mentioned on nzbsu).

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 29, 2013