Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

FSMC posted:

I've had enough of sickbeard, does couchpotato do the same thing? Can I just replace sickbeard with couchpotato? Are there any major disadvantages to switching?

There's also NZBDrone. It does everything sickbeard does (and more) I converted and have never gone back.

SB has its merits, but NZBDrone is just much quicker and isn't as married to the TVDB. The dev is actually trying to get a TVRage api key to use their service.

The only problem is it's 100% Windows. The dev has mentioned supporting mono, but I don't know the status of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Like I said, I switched from SB a while back, so I don't know what SB has now, but here goes:

1. Speed--this was the main reason for me switching. The entire process to scan about 1700 files, add them to the interface, and then check the RSS feeds takes less than 2 minutes. Individual RSS checks take less than 10 seconds with around 105 series. With SB, it took significantly longer. Things that may be available daily usually took 2-4 minutes to add with SB and take about 20 seconds to add in NZBDrone.
2.Built-in post processing. No need for a script in SAB, it just does it much the way CPv2 does. Edit: Apparently not a shortcoming of SB. Never knew. Thanks Thermopyle!
3. Ability to delete files via the interface. You can get rid of stuff you don't want without having to navigate the folder structure. This is also going to be expanded into a keep last X/most recent/etc feature.
4. Ability to integrate with TVRage. SB just simply can't do it.
5. Dev maintains a TVDB -> Scene mapping (may also use TheXem) so things that SB can't get, NZBDrone can.
6. Search History. You can see the all the reports for a specific check and manually snatch the ones that may have been skipped for whatever reason.
7. Support for multiple "root folders". If you have folders spanning multiple drives, it isn't a problem.

There are also some things that SB does better in terms of quality selection and renaming of files (and not being Win only), but overall my opinion is that NZBDrone is a much better choice. It also works "out of the box" in that you don't need an indexer (it uses the public ones) and it has the ability to automatically grab your SAB settings. The dev is also very responsive and usually has things sorted within 24 hours of posting an issue.

It's totally a preference thing, but give it a try if you have a windows box. I'm sure you'll like it.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 2, 2012

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The website says it only supports: Nzbs.org, NzbMatrix, NzbsRus, Newzbin and Newznab

Don't you have to pay to get API keys for all of them or is he missing some out?

Old information, I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

And they'll still have your IP address.

I think this was touched on earlier in the thread, but does any provider have the ability to keep your IP address matched with what articles you've downloaded for more than just a few hours at most?

I feel like the thought was they would generate and store ridiculously unsustainable amounts of data if they tried to log and retain every transaction.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Am I blind or does NZBDrone not have a way to set a username and password so not just anybody can remotely access it?

Yes. It's under System. Change your authentication to Windows. Then use the uname/password of an account on your machine. I believe customizable authentication is coming, but isn't there yet.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Not sure how specific I can get about this due to the rules, but here goes...

I'm having a problem with Sickbeard fetching certain shows. I'm all up to date and everything; the issue is, when I go and actually look by hand on the NZB site, the shows I told Sickbeard to fetch are there. For some reason, Sickbeard isn't finding them.

This one time, though, something bizarre happened. I had a backlog going on something and I searched for it manually in a separate tab in Chrome. I didn't actually download an NZB, though. Suddenly, Sickbeard came to life and found it even though it had not been able to before.

This has been the case with several different shows and I can't really find a specific pattern. Any suggestions?

Edit: Should probably mention that my NZB provider is NZBMatrix.

Most of the time, in my experiences, this occurs for one of two reasons.

1. The TVDB can be real pricks about ordering. Sometimes TVDB says a show is S08E01 when it's really S07E22 or vice versa. In these cases, since SB uses TVDB to know what show to look for, it cannot find it if TVDB tells it to look for S08E22 and the scene labelled it S08E01.
2. Less common, but still happens, is weirdness in naming of the release. I don't know how common it is now, but for a while SB didn't know that SHOW 2x22 meant S02E22. I think they've got a regex for that now, but there could be other non-standard cases that cause that issue.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Untagged posted:

The account I had no longer works, which is weird because I've been a member since like forever. Although I didn't really use it.

They purged inactive accounts that hadn't upgraded to VIP due to the influx of new registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

inpheaux posted:

Edit: Now I feel bad for inadvertently convincing people to throw money at NZBMatrix.

I always kind of wondered why you guys "liked" NZBMatrix. I thought it was a referral/rewards thing like the giganews thing you guys have going on.

Good to know you're not jerks. :)

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Hogburto posted:

More like stabilized overnight.

Seriously. I don't see how this is anything but good. It's a reboot to get rid of the stupid.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

So is the takeaway here that "Usenet is here to stay, just don't count on public indexes and HEY INSANE TOTORO BUY THAT TERABYTE USENET DEAL"

Yes. Though I didn't check the deal so caveat emptor?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

What settings do you use for nzb.su in SickBeard? I have VIP and every combination of url gives errors when it tries to connect. I do have the correct API key in the info.

I believe SB needs a trailing slash -- https://nzb.su/ -- but don't quote me on it.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
I feel like this is a very stupid question, but has anyone figure out how to stop SpotWeb from showing anything until after someone has logged in? I want to make it accessible to a few friends, but I don't like the idea of it being visible to the world.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

longview posted:

Change the group membership of the anonymous user to Anonymous user - closed system.

THANK YOU! Not exactly the most intuitive of systems, but working pretty well so far.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone have a problem with CouchPotato just hanging and being unresponsive? I've had to manually kill it a few times. Tried it with a fresh config and database, same thing. It's getting to be loving annoying and even with debugging turned on the logfiles don't turn up anything useful to help troubleshoot it. I've tried running it from source, using the Windows binary, etc.

I've only had this issue when I was using the manage function. As best as I can tell, it's completely pointless anyway, so just turn it off. Solved my problems at least.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Feenix posted:

Wait so is NZBDRONE a full-featured replacement for SB?

Yes. It's a full featured replacement to SickBeard and it has features that SB doesn't such as built-in XEM Mapping, delete from disk when managing a show, Anime, and a much faster interface. Some of the requirements are a bit bloated (iisexpress, .net4, etc), but I converted and never looked back. There are some weird differences (it automatically updates older episodes to the desired quality, for instance), but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Markus, the main dev, is really responsive and usually has bugs fixed or new features implemented within a couple of hours. I'm on the beta test branch and there's usually a new version every day. For its age, it's a pretty mature piece of software and I wholly recommend it over SB.

There's also interest in adding CouchPotatoesque functionality to make it an all in one solution since NZBDrone was born out of frustration with SB and everyone seems to be frustrated with CPv2.

* I am in no way associated with it, I just think it's a really well done piece of software.

kri kri posted:

I just switched to this this weekend. Even chatting to the dev now about a couple issues he seems pretty cool. I like the speed and that it doesn't rely solely on thetvdb. Windows only doesn't bother me since I use whs 2011.

I've been using it since, literally, the day it was released. Let me know if you have any random questions about it.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 27, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Yeah I'm not sure either.. I looked up some linux iso's earlier and downloaded the NZB's, I'd say around 3am CST. I go to look for something I missed and it's down. The "is this site down for everyone or just me?" confirms that it's actually down.

Works fine for me. http://nzb.su/login

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

GateheaD posted:

Sickbeard vs NZBDrone
Why does NZBDrone exist?

NZBDrone was born out of the frustrations with SB. Things that are different in NZBDrone, include, but are not limited to:

- Scanning library into the program is a lot faster then SB
- Use of TheXEM to do scene to TVDB Mapping
- Search for new episode is very quick also
- Snappier WebGui
- Clearer Log file (colored messages and human readable output)
- History section shows clear information into why files are not downloaded or not found during manual search (this is separate from actual log area)
- small box at bottom of window for notifications
- Ability to delete seasons or files from the GUI and remove them from disk
- custom start dates for backlog searches (IE, only want to get episodes newer than X)
- Very responsive and productive devs. Issues are fixed within hours.
- Anime support
- Ability to see search history and manually add nzb that wasn't grabbed (IE, Only 1080 is available, but you have your cutoff at 720. Single click to add 1080 to queue)
- Ability to have multiple root folders for TV Shows without the kludgy remapping SB requires.
There are lots more, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

That said, there are some drawbacks too, but the benefits well outweigh them.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 29, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

unpurposed posted:

Could you elaborate on some of them?

I have in previous posts, but basically.

- Windows Only. Requires .net 4.0 (but is an awesome example of a well-done MVC app) Mono is on the to-do list
- Coupled with IIS Express. No ability to use IIS, Apache, etc. (Coming soon, but not yet)
- Automatically upgrades all old episodes if new quality is set (unless manually specified)
- XBMC metadata can be iffy, but I don't know for sure. I use XBMC scrapers.
- Small learning curve over SB

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

kri kri posted:

For me, I would like to see file names in the series page. Markus (Dev) is usually on their irc channel and has answered my questions within a half an hour and is super nice about suggestions and bugs.

What do you mean? If you look at the specific episode and click on it, the synopsis and path\filename show up in there. Or do you want the nzb name?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

What's the install process like on a WHS2011 box? Sickbeard was stupid easy to setup.

Make sure you have .net4 (Win 8 this isn't a problem. Win 7 you'll have to add it.)

Unzip files to desired location. (I would NOT recommend %Program Files% as there are permissions issues to contend with)
Run installservice.bat to autostart with Windows.
Configure settings.

Before you add shows, make sure to configure all of the paths and whatnot in your settings. You'll also want to pay special attention to make sure you have NZBDrone naming your shows the same way SB did for consistency sake.

If you're adding existing shows, it's pretty simple. The only thing you'll have to keep an eye on is whether or not the series is a remake so you make sure you get the right one.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Where the hell do I find the connection details for usenetserver...their "controlpanel" is so basic.

Remarkably, I never found it in there. Instead, it's in their FAQ...kinda...

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Feenix posted:

This is kinda how I'd feel if I wasn't on a Mac. I like to tinker even though I usually dig myself into holes. :p

Everything I've ever needed to know has been the direct result of "oh poo poo, what did I do? How do I fix this now?"

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
Out of curiosity, what issues have you had with NZBDrone backfilling? I've never had an issue other than retention or DMCA.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

UndyingShadow posted:

Only that I already have SB doing MOSTLY everything correctly, but there's a few shows I'd like NZBdrone to take over for. And maybe if it works better, I'll slowly switch it over to full time use.

The memory footprint is tiny. I'm at less than 10MB.

If you do run them side by side, you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure to only add the shows you want it to manage or you'll end up with duplicates.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

elwood posted:

Another nzbdrone question. Does it offer an indexer like sickbeard does? Almost everything I get through sickbeard I get through the build in indexer.

It doesn't offer a built in indexer like Sickbeard (which is just a NewzNab that the sickbeard dev is running). However, it does automatically support Wombles, NZBIndex, NZBClub, and nzbx. There was some talk about setting up an indexer after the NZBMatrix drama, but I don't think it's happening.

YouTuber posted:

How does NZBDrone run under Wine for us that run Linux for our HTPC/NAS?

It doesn't.

Le0 posted:

well everyone keeps saying it is windows only at the moment so no it wasn't made with mono which is very weird honestly when a large portion of the person that might use such a program are running linux...

Yeah, the lack of Mono support is weird. It's promised on the roadmap and the dev does realize it would be a major jump in userbase. http://track.nzbdrone.com/youtrack/issue/ND-60. Add your two cents or even just a +1 to the youtrack. He's really good about prioritizing based on feedback.

I think this started as a project among a couple of friends all running WHS boxes which they then turned public. So it kind of makes sense that there's no mono support if they didn't intend to make it public.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

fivre posted:

Where the hell would I go to actually find Linux isos to download from usenet? All the Arch mirrors are slow and my router is stupid about bittorrent.

I don't think this question has ever been asked before...

Seriously, though. I've always found them in a.b.cd.image.linux. I'm not sure if that actually gets indexed or not by most of the indexers, so I'm not really sure where you would find an NZB.

Spotweb does a pretty good job of listing them though.

PM me and I'll send you a couple of spots to make life easier.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Grab Meatcastle posted:

How portable are SABNZBD, Nzbdrone, Headphones etc.?

I ask because I managed to kill my laptop before backing anything at all up, and while that's out of action I want to temporarily set up all my usenet poo poo on my desktop. Would it be possible to just grab the folders from my desktop and drop them back onto the laptop when that's up and running again, since nothing is actually installed so much as it's just running out of extracted folders? Or do they store various things in the bowels of the appdata and programdata folders that I'd need to be wary of?

I basically just wanna know if I should just set up the essential stuff and make do until I'm going to get everything back online, or if I could do the whole hog now and then just shift the folders because I'm super lazy and I don't wanna do it all twice.

Yup. Just make sure you have your dependencies (python, cheetah, etc) and you'll be good to go. Just be aware, if running windows, that some things will be in %appdata%\Roaming\ so you'll want to get those too, not just where you installed it to.

If it's any help, I've set mine up on a SD Card
code:
F:\applications\<application>
F:\applications\configurations
I have everything installed into F:\applications and all of my config files/temp files/XBMC userdata/etc in F:\applications\configurations. If I ever have to move it (and I have several times before), then I just eject the card and pop it into whatever else. All of the applications are remarkably self-contained and have cmdline switches to specifiy the configuration directory.

Just make sure you don't have SAB using the SD card for the temporary download directory. :)

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 31, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

So I've started messing around with Usenet due to this thread. Paid for Usenet access (blocknews) and using sabnzdb. My question is, is there a difference between these paid indexing sites and the free ones (usenet crawler, for instance)? Is it really worth to it pay for an indexing site?

Seriously? Read the last 10 pages where this is discussed in length.

The free ones are okay. The VIP ones are better.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

yotoc posted:

Looks like more nzb.su invites are going out. GONE!

Gone. Christ you guys are fast.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

Did something happen to nzb.su? I had an account that I was using this past summer when I started screwing around with this usenet business but kinda neglected it for the past few months. So I decided I wanted to get things up and running again, but I can't get access to the site. I tried logging in with all of my usual passwords, and when that got me no where, i hit the "forgot password" link only for it to tell me that it didn't have an account with that email address :wtf: I know i'm using the correct address as I've still got the old emails from setting up the account in the first place.

Did they purge inactive accounts or something?

Can we get this added to the thread title or OP?

Yes. They purged inactive accounts. Someone else just asked about it on the previous page...and the one before that...and before that...and before that...

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

This is a great idea, thank you!

While I'm here, does anyone have any anecdotal info about SSL vs VPN? I'm thinking about going to a vpn, and I have heard there is minimal loss in bandwith. With SSL, I lose a bit of my speed. If I go VPN, would it make sense to disable ssl and go through just the regular ports, or would I just use both for "double security"? BTW, I just started researching VPN so if I am wrong please tell me.

There's going to be overhead on both aspects. SSL encrypts the data between your machine and whichever server you connect to. VPN tunnels your connection to another machine which then makes the connection to the server for you.

code:
Your machine -----SSL Connection----> Usenet
Your machine ------> VPN Server ----> Usenet
The only advantage that the VPN gives you over SSL is that it's not your IP that's making the connections to the usenet server. Even if using a VPN, I would still recommend SSL since the SSL encryption prevents your data from being snooped*. If you're doing SSL, I don't really see a point in VPN unless you're beyond super paranoid or live in China or something. Plenty of people will probably disagree with me on this part.

There's also the issue that the VPN provider keeps your session information. If they do, you lose the anonymity that the VPN service is supposed to provide.

* Yes, you can still inspect SSL traffic...but it's not likely at an ISP level.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 31, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

Ummmmm bullshit? I read the last 3 or 4 pages prior to posting and didn't see anything about purging accounts, only people asking for invites. Thanks for the answer though :thumbsup:

Fair enough. The previous page was about API limits. My mistake. It's still be talked about countless times in this thread.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Telex posted:

It finds like 10 things for me once every other month. It's not that great.

Didn't the author just clone the original CouchPotato and then modify it for Headphones? It's basically a broken piece of software cloned from a broken piece of software.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, CP has been pretty solid for me for months. The UI is kinda stupid, but it works.

I was referring to the original version. Had all sorts of issues with usability, finding things, and just keeping track of what it was doing. It would snatch and rename, but not realize it did it and snatch again. There used to be tons of posts in their forums with people making the same complaints.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

Sure you can, it's just limited. All a vanilla account gives you is the ability to download nzbs. If you're VIP, you can set nzb.su up a source for other programs (Sickbeard, CouchPotato) to search nzbs and automatically add them to SAB. You're also limited to how many nzbs you're allowed to download daily.

Right. So he can not use SickBeard with a non-VIP nzb.su. :)

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

copperblue posted:

Was actually researching a replacement for Mediadog today, and heard of nzb360. MD isn't free, but it'll handle everything mentioned above. Looks pretty on a tablet.

I use NZB Unity and it works quite nicely. Not exactly the prettiest girl on the block, but she'll get it done.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

1000GB block for $38

Highwinds reseller. I'm happy with them.

e: It's not advertised but it should be 1100GB since they give you 10% extra for downloading headers.

They're also doing a $7 unlimited monthly.

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Raffles posted:

This might not be the proper place to ask, but is there a program for Windows that is comparable to iVi converter for OSX. I'm particularly interested to find something that will watch a folder, convert the video file to MP4, add metadata and then send the file to iTunes to be sorted. If not one program then a couple that will do this with the minimum of input from me?

Handbrake should do what you're asking. I don't know what metadata you want, but Handbrake will do the conversion with watch folders/etc.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Karthe posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Spotweb downloads not downloading? I sent a couple of files to SABNZBD to download, but even after giving it an hour to verify that all the pieces of the download were available and then start, the download just sits there idle in SABNZBD. I don't think it's a Spotweb problem because I've been able to grab stuff through it before, so I guess the problem is with SABNZBD or Blocknews.

Could it be a broken SABNZBD installation? It started prompting me recently for my username and password every time I clicked a link on the web interface, even after updating to the newest version.

I've been getting a lot of empty spots (Sab rejects them because they have nothing in them), but I don't know if it's related, but something has been weird with Spotweb lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

Does anyone have Headphones working with nzb.su? Judging from the fact it works fine with the other clients/agents, they're probably banning the user agent for headphones again.
Also see: https://github.com/rembo10/headphones/issues/955

It's blocked and will be blocked until they change the way it makes API calls. If you really want to use it, just install spotweb easy on your local machine and point against that. You'll get surprisingly good results. Or use a different indexer.