Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Ugh, Sickbeard keeps grabbing the proper for a file and corrupting it (the original file is ~360mb, after it pulls the proper it's 11mb). Do I have to have the post-processing for sabnzbd set to Download for Sickbeard to handle it properly? It's on +unpack at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Ugh, windows permissions issues ahoy.

Basically, SB/CP download stuff into their temporary folder and then rename/move it to individual folders across a couple of different drives (not a problem here) - those folders are then shared across the network and imported by xbmc as sources. My problem is that I need to have the security on new files set to allow read for Everyone (otherwise the networked xbmc pc can't play it). Anyone else come across this? I have the security options on both the shared folders and temporary download folders set to allow read for Everyone, but the individual files being downloaded don't get that set, so while the folder is shared, the file itself can't be accessed.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

I used to run with a Windows host like that, but I actually created additional users that I wanted people to log in as, to access shares (didn't use Everyone). This allowed some users to write in shared directories and some others to not. I'd suggest trying that with your "XBMC user" (do this for the share and the NTFS file system directories, and re-add your shares) and it should work fine.

I your case, Everyone is not being added to newly written files. Have you applied it at the upper-most folder for the shares (e.g. "X:\Media\") and to replace all child permissions? I think further files written there should inherit the permissions from this folder/object. If not, then it could be a system policy to not do this specifically with Everyone. I hope a more familiar Windows guy can address your question if I'm wrong, but I'd say go with making more users. The drawback is you'd have more junk in your login screen.

Edit:
You could also place Everyone in the Users group (they have Read access by default to your new files for sure), but that's a serious security faux pas I am sure.

Security's not particularly an issue for this box, so I might be lazy and try the latter. Cheers.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Running my own indexer and boy howdy does it take a long time to index everything :geno:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I wrote a python-based Newznab replacement, since it was giving me a massive loving headache:

https://github.com/Murodese/pynab

It's purely API-oriented - there's no front-end and I'm not going to write one, since the front-end on my current indexer never gets used. No post-processing yet either, so Sickbeardcan only use its RSS search currently (which it mostly does, anyway). CouchPotato should mostly use it fine. Postproc will take me the weekend or so to complete.

Of note, bulk importing NZBs is hilariously faster with this than Newznab - a few hours to import the 60ish gb NZB dump from mid-2012 compared to a few weeks/months with NN+. Takes much less time to process parts, binaries and releases, too. Pretty much requires a NN+ ID to get regexes, though.

I only wrote the install scripts tonight, so if you try it out let me know how it goes - it could be horribly broken, but the limited testing I did seemed ok.

(I even tried to write it with a really nice OO-design and it completely loving failed because it increased processing time some 50,000x over doing it the quick-but-ugly way)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Ha, I've been working on one in Python in my free time as well, because newznab is a trainwreck.

I'll give this a look later today.

NN's code is truly horrifying. If you want to see something even worse, check out nZEDb's lib/category.php :stare:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I don't remember if I ever talked about this on here, so here you go (also sorry Thermopyle, I only just saw your post from April 2013 today, I do not read the thread regularly :():

quote:

It's been a long-rear end time since this project was first on here and it's changed fairly significantly since then, so I figured I'd re-mention it for anyone that's after a simple indexer.

Most of the information on the project is on the github readme, so I'll only put a bit here:

History

NZBMatrix died and I figured that it wouldn't be that long before other indexers started dropping off the perch, so I started using my own Newznab+ install. After realising I didn't need something that complex and prone to over-management to serve myself and my friends, I started writing an indexer in Python / MongoDB.

The aim was to write an indexer that pretty much only presented an API and used significantly less resources than existing solutions - I didn't need the webui or anything, since the vast majority of traffic was API hits. Hence, pynab-mongo was written. Mongo worked well for a while, but ran into some problems involving orphaned NZBs / releases that would require several-week-long-queries to resolve. It was quicker for me to rewrite the indexer using postgres than to run those queries, which is what I did.

Pynab-postgres is the result. NZB creation is of equal performance to the mongo version (thanks to some postgres-specific optimisations) and searching is much more reliable. It's also significantly more easy to develop, and something I've had a lot of fun with over the last year or two.

Should I use this?

Is the majority of access to your indexer via the API? Are you looking for an indexer that's relatively easy to set-up and run and requires minimal ongoing maintenance, and also with low hardware requirements? Do you not care about user limits or non-API-related metadata?

Has:

- Newznab-compatible API (anything that works with NN works with this)
- Group indexing, release creation / categorisation, some renaming of obfuscated releases
- Binary blacklisting, compressed-header support, SSL
- Post-processing (imdb/tvrage, password checking, nfos, sfvs) to assist API serving
- The world's most basic query webui to look up books and poo poo
- Fast processing, it's quite optimised and can run on pretty simple hardware

Uses NN+'s regex collection (requires NN+ ID, go donate to them because they absolutely deserve it) or supply your own

Does not have:

- Graphical administration
-Really, any kind of detailed webui (you can give it queries and that's about it)
- API limits or any kind of advanced user administration (API keys are used for access and generated via CLI)
- Detailed metadata for releases (no need for amazon/rottentomatoes/whatever integration, because there's no webui to display that)
- ???

TL;DR

Small fast indexer for API use.

Use it if it suits you, feel free to request/code features. Happy to take ideas of stuff to implement, too. Feedback welcome!

https://github.com/Murodese/pynab

Double tl;dr: a really fast usenet indexer. It's pretty stable now, being in use by quite a few people for a couple of years, and most of the bugs are hammered out. If you're looking for something to index weird groups not covered by other indexers or want to just run your own indexer from home, this works. In the future I'll package it into a tiny portable thing that can just provide people with their own poo poo, without having to pay for indexer access or send traffic externally (for people that live in Australia, for instance).

Totally looking for people to build more pre-db integration into it, as well. We do a couple of groups, but there are some big ones missing that I don't have any kind of pre access to.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

Request: add a database abstraction layer so I can point it at oracle instead of postgresql

There is one, but parts are heavily optimized and I have to deal with certain bits in a DBMS specific way. Mysql support exists but isn't fast, for instance.

e; actually, you can try it just by changing the db engine in your config to 'cx_oracle' and pip3 install cx_oracle. It'll be slow as poo poo saving segments to the db, but that's about the same speed as newznab works :v:

Murodese fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 13, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, chuck it to me when it's done, I'd love to see it. I was originally going to write this to use distributed collection/processing, but you can already do that to some extent by using the DB as a centralised event handler and just split the various responsibilities over different machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

So what are the storage and bandwidth implications if someone wanted to run their own indexer for their own personal use?

I index something like 25 popular groups (barring some really spammy ones), and have backfilled to around ~700-900 days on stuff. End result is that I have around 520,000 releases. My DB looks like this (I've noted the tables that fluctuate really wildly as you're indexing, because the data is collected and then aggregated, compressed and deleted):

pre:
 nspname  |              relname               |    size    |       refrelname        |    relidxrefrelname     | relfilenode | relkind | reltuples | relpages 
----------+------------------------------------+------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------+---------+-----------+----------
 pg_toast | pg_toast_4704468                   | 12 GB      | nzbs                    |                         |     4704472 | t       |   4866792 |  1579537
 public   | segments                           | 5790 MB    | pg_toast_4704738        |                         |     5192408 | r       |   4761148 |   741172 <-- fluctuates wildly
 public   | ix_segments_segment                | 2012 MB    |                         |                         |     5192415 | i       |   4761148 |   257486 <-- same with this one
 public   | ix_segments_part_id                | 1599 MB    |                         |                         |     5192416 | i       |   4761148 |   204694 <-- and this one
 public   | segments_pkey                      | 1288 MB    |                         |                         |     5192414 | i       |   4761148 |   164855 <-- ..and this one
 public   | nzbs                               | 287 MB     | pg_toast_4704468        |                         |     4704468 | r       |    494241 |    36707
 public   | pres                               | 234 MB     | pg_toast_4704419        |                         |     4704419 | r       |   1026911 |    29956
 public   | releases                           | 168 MB     | pg_toast_4704633        |                         |     5581407 | r       |    519001 |    21510
 pg_toast | pg_toast_4704468_index             | 158 MB     | pg_toast_4704468        | nzbs                    |     4704474 | i       |   5191460 |    20280
 public   | ix_pres_name                       | 116 MB     |                         |                         |     4704430 | i       |   1026911 |    14824
 public   | nfos                               | 105 MB     | pg_toast_4704457        |                         |     5581477 | r       |    138937 |    13496
 pg_toast | pg_toast_4704457                   | 85 MB      | nfos                    |                         |     5581480 | t       |     57122 |    10881
 public   | ix_pres_requestgroup               | 59 MB      |                         |                         |     4854331 | i       |   1026911 |     7580
 public   | pres_uniq                          | 58 MB      |                         |                         |     5223660 | i       |   1026911 |     7396
 public   | releases_uniq                      | 56 MB      |                         |                         |     5581431 | i       |    519001 |     7158
 public   | ix_parts_group_name                | 53 MB      |                         |                         |     5192401 | i       |     13987 |     6777
 public   | ix_releases_search_name            | 52 MB      |                         |                         |     5581428 | i       |    519001 |     6597
 public   | ix_parts_binary_id                 | 36 MB      |                         |                         |     5192403 | i       |     13987 |     4599
 public   | ix_parts_posted                    | 36 MB      |                         |                         |     5192404 | i       |     13987 |     4587
 public   | ix_pres_requestid                  | 34 MB      |                         |                         |     4854332 | i       |   1026911 |     4321
 public   | ix_parts_total_segments            | 34 MB      |                         |                         |     5192402 | i       |     13987 |     4294
 public   | parts_pkey                         | 33 MB      |                         |                         |     5192400 | i       |     13987 |     4287

Newznab uses a lot more space than pynab, though (something like 8-10x more?), and NZBs are stored on the disk rather than in the DB, so take that into account.

My network usage while backfilling, updating and post-processing looks like this:

pre:
Device em1 [10.1.1.200] (1/2):
===========================================================================================================================================================================
Incoming:
|                                ##|###          #                  |##|    #       ###   .##|   #           #|
#                                ######         ##                 |####|  .#.      ###   ####  .#. ##       ##|
#                               #######         ##                 ######. ###     .###  .####  ###.##.     .###.
#                               #######.       |###                #######.###     ####. ###### #######     #####
##         .                   .########       ####               ############.   .##### ##############     #####
##       ||#                   #########      #####               ##############|#######|##############    ######   Curr: 3.22 MBit/s
##    |.|###.                 .#########     ######  ..          .###################################### .#######   Avg: 2.35 MBit/s
## #.|#######                 ##########    |#############       #################################################  Min: 552.00 Bit/s
#############                .########### .|##############|    .##################################################  Max: 11.08 MBit/s
#############.              .##############################...####################################################  Ttl: 196.72 MByte

The top of those peaks is 10mbit/s. However, that's while backfilling a lot of groups at high concurrency (8 threads for updating groups, 8 threads for backfilling groups, 4 for postprocessing), so if you're only doing a few groups you can expect something more like 2mbit/s while backfilling, and if you're not doing any backfilling at all it's going to be more like 5-10mb/hour depending on the groups.