Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Completely new to Usenet and trying to walk my self through setting it up. What are API hits? NZB.su is limiting me to 80 API hits a day. Is that something similar to 80 searches a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure that means you can only download 80 NZBs per day. I can't imagine you'd be hitting that cap very often, and when you do, there are alternative sites you can use.

Well, it states that I'm limited to 10 NZB downloads per day and 80 API hits.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm free and my account is gone on Nzb.su

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

eames posted:

I’m seeing this too and it seems to have started around the middle of June.
Ever since that date, my SABnzbd stopped pulling articles Supernews and Blocknews. Every successful download is from my tiny tweaknews block account now, and that’s quite slow (~25 Mbit/s).

That and trackers are shutting down left and right… ugh, just give me Netflix in here Europe and I’ll gladly pay the subscription fee.

Is it affecting just released Linux iso's or just ones that are months/years old?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kaiho posted:

Is the recommended provider list in the OP still accurate? I'm conscious that the post was last edited in 2012...

I'm in the same boat, would love to know if the OP info still stands as accurate.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

inpheaux posted:

It's due for an update, but the short version in differences are:

- There's now a good set of alternative software options. If you don't like SABnzbd, try nzbget. If you don't like Sickbeard, try Sonarr. I wouldn't consider anything a "clear" winner, mostly because each option is pretty good. (Sickbeard gets some hate, but personally it's still chugging along fine for me.)

- There's an assload of new indexers, but indexers have gotten to a point where they're pretty much all interchangeable. Just find a Newznab-based indexer you can actually get into that doesn't cost a jillion bitcoins to keep a decent number of API calls, but don't be surprised if it suddenly folds one day with zero notice.

- Providers are still pretty much all equal. No prices have changed, no new providers have popped up, no major quality shifts have made one provider better or worse than another. The only thing that's really changed is that they all suffer from the same problems of aggressive DMCA takedowns. Pretty much if you're not automatically downloading something within days or hours of it being posted, you're probably going to be disappointed in Usenet.

- SABnzbd 0.8 is happening Real Soon Now. We're basically on release candidates now. A ton of stuff has been updated, but the big one is the all-new default UI, which is fully responsive and actually usable on mobile.

Thanks for the refresher.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Gunslinger posted:

... I've also embarked on using tdarr to convert my ridiculous library to h265 and it's going to net around 6TB of space back. Unfortunately the lack of any GPU to transcode means it will take a few months but so be it!

Do tell us more about this.

I use private trackers over usenet for my linux ISOs but it would be great to have an automated way to go thru my library and convert things to h265 to save space.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
At a high level, how reliable is the "VPN Kill Switch" when used? E.g. I'm downloading the latest linux distro and my VPN temporarily disconnects and reconnects. If I have the VPN software "kill network traffic when VPN is disconnected" on, is that pretty reliable? Or is there a good chance that my true IP will be leaked?

*Ignore, likely better suited for the Linux thread.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 17, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with a large amount of linux ISOs, how do you handle backups?

I keep my ISOs on an external USB drive plugged into the desktop, no backup solution. I know it's only a matter of time before that bites me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Volguus posted:

I personally do not backup linux ISOs. They can be downloaded again. Backing up that junk is just a waste of bits (in my opinion). You could get a NAS and have 2 drives mirroring and survive if one kicks the bucket, though I personally do not do that as I do not believe it's worth it. I backup important stuff to B2. It's extremely cheap to upload and store it there, it's expensive to download (or ship a drive). But, if I need that backup then yeah, that'll be worth it. I hope I never do.

Thanks. I was thinking along the same track of "just download the ISO again" in the event of a crash.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In addition to Linux ISOs, can Usenet also be a resource for Linux Manuals/Books? Or is it mainly just ISOs?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughlander posted:

Yes, and even geeks reading linux manuals to you! check out all the 'arr's. Sonarr, Radarr, Readarr, Lidarr(Had really really bad performance last I looked at it.)

Thanks! It's probably been 8 years since I've done anything with Usenet but I might have to see if I can figure some of those out for my linux manuals.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Elphiem posted:

Has anyone noticed Windows Defender flagging the rars in your download folder?

Yes. For the first time in years of downloading Linux ISOs, I had Windows Defender flag a rar file. In this instance, it was "Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml".

This was on Windows 10 and using Torrents. I'm not smart enough to be confident in classifying something as a false positive so I trashed it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Since the audience for Usenet may intersect with the audience for torrents:

For Ubuntu, is there a recommended simple torrent client that you recommend? I've been using qBitTorrent for years but am about to set up a new VM for my ISOs and wanted to check if I'm missing out on anything.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A rookie question about usenet and infosec:

I have a linux VM running a SABnzbd container. No VPN at the moment.
  • Is it "safe" to pay well-known providers and indexers, from a personal Paypal account?
  • Are there any reasonable precautions to take to harden my SABnzbd config? I'm currently running default settings. I have no need to access it from outside my home.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Everyone posted:

Infosec advice...

Ok I'll continue down this path, thank you. Also, it's a great feeling to max out my speeds with usenet compared to what I was getting through p2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there an appreciable difference between what's available on DrunkenSlug versus NZBGeek? With DS I can get 5 free linux ISOs per day which is plenty for me but not sure if NZBGeek has something worth paying for.