Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
If I understand DMCA take downs right, when the Usenet provider gets a DMCA take down notice, they just take down enough blocks so that they can't be repaired/extracted, correct? If so, one would assume that if the Usenet providers' wallets started to be heavily affected by take down notices, the major resellers could start collaborating with each other in secret. If Usenet provider A corrupts blocks 1-100 and provider B corrupts blocks 101-200, then they would both be complying with the DMCA but any users that have both providers could still get the complete set. Am I missing something here or would this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Was Nzb.su taken down? I can't seem to get there but the API feeds still seem to be working. I flushed dns and still have nothing.

Try https://nzb.su/index.php Works here.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
So if anybody comes across a better template/filter than the default for spotweb, could you post a link here?

EgillSkallagrimsson fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 14, 2012

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

They removed every account that didn't use a real email address so that might have included some of you.

This is probably it. I can still access the site just fine.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Galg posted:

I just assume it was because I never paid for VIP.

I'm VIP so I guess they must have pruned more free accounts.:iiam:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Laserface posted:

here are some more index sites I have found via other forums in the last few days. most seem to be newsnab based though they have been open for new users on and off the last few days.

nzb7.com
nzbzombie.com
nzbclub.com
usenet-crawler.com

Ive managed to get into all of those and configure them in sickbeard OK.

Nzbzombie.com was mentioned earlier and I rather like it. I figure if horrible newsnab based interfaces are the future, I may as well go with one that has a fun logo/name.

longview posted:

So are people setting up SpotWeb servers too? I decided to abandon NewzNab since it requires far too much bandwidth and work for me to run it at home, filling the backlog of spotweb has only taken little over an hour.

I'm running one for my family members and so far I haven't noticed any real impact on bandwidth/disk usage after the initial backfill. I currently have mine setup to retrieve spots every thirty minutes so my bandwidth drops by 100kbs for about a minute when it does it's thing. Totally acceptable to me.:shrug:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

ClassH posted:

So what is the advantage of a spotweb server over a newznab one? I have a newznab setup and it seems pretty good but I am willing to try multiple things.

With spotweb the disk space and bandwidth needed to run are much less than with newsnab. Downside is that it's community driven so you may not get everything.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

No refunds on digital goods on PayPal.

Is this a new thing? I got a refund for a game that I bought from a deadbeat dev that never sent an activation code a few months ago.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Heads up, if you were an NZBSRUS user from back in the day, you may not be a VIP anymore. I've mysteriously lost the lifetime VIP status I bought back during the $9,99 sale a few years ago.

Read the comments. An admin admitted they just canceled all the VIP to get them to pay again. As far as I can tell, given their bitcoin only policy and the current exchange rates for them, a lifetime membership would cost $100+ now. Not that I'd trust them with a nickel after this. Seriously, gently caress that site.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

GateheaD posted:

Sickbeard vs NZBDrone
Why does NZBDrone exist?

NZBDrone lets you delete a series along with the folder/files from the gui. A godsend if you like genre shows that rarely make it to a season 2. It also works with shows like American Dad that Sickbeard choked on due to scene naming conventions. Basically, it fixed all the little annoying things that I found with Sickbeard. The gui is faster/better by a pretty wide margin, too.:colbert:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

No chance of drawing the ire of your ISP?

Assuming you stay under their bandwidth caps if they have any, not really.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
Who do I ask about getting in on this GoonNZB thing or has my endless procrastinating finally caught up with me?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

NZBsRus used to be great. After their site got screwed by some bug that granted people VIP access too easily, they purged everyone's VIP access as "a security measure," including all those with very obvious history with the site, and not something more intelligent, or with integrity, like recent-registers.
Then they made most older VIP folks re-purchase their VIP membership at triple the cost. Which wasn't anywhere as long as their previous. So gently caress them all, really.

NZB.su is probably your next best bet.

Fixed that for accuracy. Let's also not forget the "lifetime VIP" debacle, either. Apparently, their idea of lifetime VIP access is three years. It's a loving joke that they'd expect anyone to shell out a couple hundred dollars worth of bitcoins for their lifetime VIP access after that bullshit.

I probably wouldn't be so bitter about losing my lifetime VIP if I was a heavy user. At the time that all this poo poo went down, I had only downloaded 66 nzbs from them over the course of three years and I never even used their stupid api. They were, literally, my backup in case Newzbin and NZBMatrix were to go down. That worked out just loving splendidly, too.:argh:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Demented Guy posted:

Astraweb was slow too last night (~400 kBps)

Same here. Never noticed the Sunday slowdown before but it was terrible last night.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
I use Atraweb with a couple of free servers as backups. They don't have the best speeds but they work fine random missing articles.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
Is this a Sickbeard only problem? I use NZBDrone and it automatically downloads the real release after a bit of time since the encrypted NZBs never finish. Hell, I didn't realize there was an encrypted nzb problem until I noticed a shitload of them sitting paused in my sab queue marked as encrypted.:shrug:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
It would seem NZBsRus is down for good according to their twitter. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.:laugh:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Lusername posted:

Yeah, that notice does look fake. Suspicious indeed. Assuming the notice is fake, why are they shutting down? Seeing as they were making serious cash (100BTC per month which is about $10,000), you'd think they'd just leave the thing running to rake in the megabucks.

That's almost assuredly a lie to sucker some poor chump into buying the site now. If the bitcoin project is true, I'm going to laugh a mighty laugh when bitcoins crash yet again.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Smeep posted:

Is NZB Provider new or have I just not noticed it before?

Hmm, I like the layout but I can't imagine it lasting very long without being private.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Smeep posted:

I'm guessing anyone starting a public NZB site at this point is just thinking make as much money as possible in as short a period as possible, because they know they'll be shut down soon.

I don't know how they could be making money. There appears to be no ads (disabled adblock to check) and nzb access is public with no VIP offers for money so :shrug:.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

So here's a question: Do any of you guys run into trouble with your ISP's download caps? Comcast, for instance, only allowed 250 gigs a month. Do any of you hit that? Anyway around it?

I just said gently caress it and got Comcast Business. I pull 450-650gb a month with no problems. I did have to find my own supported modem because the supplied one was terrible and didn't have a true bridged mode.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
nZEDb works a hell of a lot better for me than NN+ ever did. I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
You guys know that Headphones has it's own indexer (requires a donation, I believe) that cleans up release names into a usable format for Headphones, right?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Can someone explain something to me? What does the indexer do and what does the host do? I mean wouldn't an indexer need to be tied to a specific host? Or is it that all hosts basically contain a mirror of usenet, and some just delete stuff that is older than a certain amount of time? Why can't the server also be an indexer?

Correct. Having an indexer would probably run them afoul of the common carrier laws that shield them from being sued. At least, that would be my guess.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Nask26 posted:

I did for a while but it turned into a part time job over time. When all the sites were going down or private it had it's need but honestly now it's easy enough to get into 10+ indexers that I don't think it's worth it. If you ever do need it you can set it up in a few hours.

This. Also, I found nZEDb to be much better anyway.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

On a side note, is everyone still using Sickbeard? It's always just worked for me but one thing that has always bugged me is its inability to blacklist a particular nzb and search for others. Someone mentioned nzbdrone had that feature so I was thinking of checking it out.

I switched over to nzbdrone last fall and never looked back. There were just getting to be too many little things that annoyed me with sickbeard and drone fixed just about all of them.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

It appears that Astraweb and NewsgroupDirect are not enough to ensure that you'll complete downloads. I'm getting a lot of failures.

On various listings of this Linux distro

Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (900 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (652 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (652 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (802 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (800 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (800 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (756 short)

It is hitting the backup server. I'm up to 8gigs of use this month alone out of my block plan.
I use a free xsusenet.com account for my backfill. It's only 1mbit download but for the amount that it gets used, it's not too bad. Plus, you can't beat free.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Smeep posted:

This is exactly what I do and hardly ever run into trouble, apart from the occasional "Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair" which 95% of the time is fine when I just run it through QuickPar.
I don't know what Sab's problem was with files like those but I noticed I haven't that issue since switching to NZBGet.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Toss my hat in for the Astraweb is down crew. Also running Comcast. Has anyone tried their EU servers?

I'm on Comcast and had to switch over to their EU servers to get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Bank posted:

So, first world problem but I have a 1TB limit with Xfinity and all the titles I want are only offered in some crazy high quality that I don't care for. I specify 720p or better in radarr but most of the stuff I find is 4K. Looking for these things elsewhere I can find collections at the quality I want (<2gb for a 60m file).

Is my setup missing something, or is this just due to the provider having things being taken down? FWIW I have Usenetserver with a lifetime NZBgeek sub.

Xfinity does have an unlimited tier for an extra $50 that they seem to not advertise much, last time I checked. It's what I use since my monthly data usage is in the 4-8tb range.....