Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

AlphaDog posted:

If I downloaded something and sabnzbd is saying "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", I'm pretty much hosed, right? I tried manually unraring everything, but that failed too.
Like everyone else has said, get yourself QuickPAR or similar to do a manual PAR check of your data. It will tell you how many blocks are missing.
Then you need to either grab more PAR files if you didn't get them all, or else re-download the broken sections hoping to get more data this time.

In Australia myself, and I've had it happen once or twice where I just used a different indexing service to get an NZB for the files that show the most missing blocks and downloaded those. Replaced the broken ones with those and re-ran QuickPAR and it fixed it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Shroomie posted:

I'm downloading from Supernews just fine right now.

Edit: In other news, everybody is flipping out about XS Usenet giving out free lifetime accounts good for 1Mbps and 2 connections. As a result, their site is getting loving hammered. I was kind of hoping to grab one for a backup.

From their site:
"November 26 2011, 11:43 PM CET
Signups have been temporarily suspended due to high demand, we apologize for the inconvenience. "

I assume that the Netherlands are using an aggressive form of daylight savings that puts them forward in time by a whole month.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You must be too because that's two months from where I'm at.

I'll re-quote you in a month's time and who'll look the idiot then? Not me, that's for sure!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rums posted:

Anyone else having problems with the pause button on SABnzbd+? When I hit pause, the download just keeps going. If I pause the actual download itself, the download keeps going. If I pause the whole thing and the download, it might stop (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). If I go from paused (both individual and main) to a timer pause on the main pause button, it starts downloading again. It is incredibly frustrating. Any solutions?

I've not done any testing, so take this with a grain of salt:

Given that SABnzb+ has a display refresh timer, are you hitting pause and then not waiting until the page refreshes to say it has happened? If not, you may be hitting the pause button several times and whatever the last one as the refresh hits is the setting it would display. This may or may not be the actual final setting if you hammered that button.
Did that make sense?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

drwprtcht posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already...but xsusenet is offering free 1mbit accounts right now.

I got it and the account seems fine. However, the SABnzbd "test server" only works if I use port 119, and not either of the SSL ports. Does SSL work for anyone else okay?

\/ Works for me now, too. Weird.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 26, 2011

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Can I copy out the NZBs from somewhere if I have downloads paused in my SAB queue? I've got some big files sitting in there and a friend with loads of spare bandwidth, and I'd like to send him the NZBs rather than go download them again.
I mean, it's not like I can't grab them again, but it would save me some time if they are sitting in a folder somewhere.

If it matters, I have SAB set up to watch my download folder for incoming NZBs and it grabs them and puts them in the queue, but I don't know where they go at that point.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hogburto posted:

I think your "temporary download folder" should have them all compressed such as:
D:\incomplete\Linux.distro.2012.01.08\_ADMIN_\Linux.distro.2012.01.08.nzb.gz
"download folder" \ job_name \ _ADMIN_ \ job_name.nzb.gz

If you want to finish a queue job already in progress on another machine, you should be able to move the whole directory over to the temporary download folder of the other SAB install as an orphaned job, then add it to the queue through Status > Queue Repair.

Yep, there they are, thanks. My friend has a unix box somewhere and doesn't have SAB on it, just some other command-line NZB tool, so passing him the NZBs works nice and easy.

td4guy posted:

Just go to Config -> Folders and read the .nzb Backup Folder thing.

That box is blank, and the default base folder listed has no NZBs in it. I assume I'd have to put in an entry for it to copy data to that folder?
The reply above works though. Thanks anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

WINTER IS COMING posted:

In regards to SABNZBD - how do you figure out what the missing article is?

Quite frustrating after a 4gb download

Are the separate files in your INCOMPLETE folder? If so, can you see which file is missing, or too small compared to the rest of the splits?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

tronester posted:

My first thoughts were that this was perhaps bad ram corrupting the files, as I have had that happen before. However, the 4.5 gigabyte files had no issues.

Given how easy it is to run memtest86+, and how frustrating a bad RAM problem can be, I'd suggest running one overnight just to be sure. The larger file may be kicking over into another RAM bank that those multiple 4.5GB files aren't doing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

RE90 posted:

Thanks for the advice...I tried again today but now I'm getting a Saving Error following a "Disk error on creating file" ... do I need to run this in administrator mode or something? haha

edit: so another file finished downloading, and the one that failed earlier started to download, but then got the same error as above :(

I don't know poo poo about how SAB does stuff, but could the filename be so long you're getting a path length error, or it's a file bigger than 4GB on a FAT partition?
Or your antivirus hates the file and is locking it for scanning when the program tries to move it to the completed folder?
I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

dj_pain posted:

Also If you are australian and you are on internode/iinet use there newservice as you get about 35 days retention for free.

Are you sure? I've never seen iinet mention anything about Usenet.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Daynab posted:

I did, unfortunately the files were corrupted.

When this happens to me I run QuickPar or similar and see how many blocks are missing. Then I grab extra par files if need be and load them in and hopefully fix the download. If that isn't enough I'll look for the main files that look like they are broken and redownload those, replacing the broken ones if they come down good. I tell that by seeing if the file size looks right. All of the parts should be a uniform size, so damaged ones tend to stand out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I didn't have enough download left,so I created an nzb and gave it to a friend. He uploaded it onto his linux system and grabbed a bunch of shows for me. Great.

However, one season is broken, and each of the rar parts is between 10MB and 100MB (far too many for pars to fix), for a total of about 20GB.
He has a feeling his linux client didn't try very hard so I would like to put this data into my sabnzbd and let it try and complete, obviously using the existing data to build from.

Is there an easy way to do this to ensure I don't waste that 20GB, bearing in mind sab didn't download it to begin with? Capped monthly downloads means I'd rather not waste it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thanks for info.
Out of the 369 files in the rar set only 2 are complete, so I was hoping to avoid needing to redownload the broken ones and running it all through QuickPar. I have a feeling I'm throwing all this data out though.
I suppose I can't really "resume" the download, as usenet doesn't work that way.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I need 182 more blocks for the first file (consisting of 27 rar segments) out of 289, and there's 12 more files like that.
I'll download the more broken files in each set and rebuild. Hopefully it will still save me from downloading the whole lot again.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. I was hoping Sab would have some clever way of doing it, but I'm fine with QuickPar and grabbing bits I need manually.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Loads.
It's cool, just thought I'd ask and see if sab had some super clever stuff built into it that I didn't know about.
I'm grabbing some missing pars and will work my way through the most broken files until I get a good repair. Thanks anyway.

edit: \/ No, same server.\/
I just downloaded the most broken files of the first set along with some extra pars and rebuilt it okay. I had to get 2.2GB of the 3.1GB file, so I guess at least my friend saved me almost a gig of traffic. No idea what went wrong with his original download.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 11, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

muskrat posted:

Is nzb.su working for other people? I'm getting what appears to be an IIS 404. Tried both http and https, clearing caches, etc. It's been like this for about 2 days.

EDIT: I should have Googled this. Apparently you can still get to it from https://nzb.su/index.php.

It's totally dead for me, no matter what url I type in. Connection times out each time. I wasn't a VIP, but it doesn't get far enough along for that to matter.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

This is probably it. I can still access the site just fine.

I use a gmail account, and that wasn't in their list of ones they would wipe.
But that doesn't matter, as the page doesn't even come up.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Telex posted:

That seems like a great way to make a ton of cash in a hurry, then shut down the site. But we'll see.

Yeah, that's the issue I have. Now seems like a poor time to give a stranger money, what with all these sites shutting up shop.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Binsearch is fine, just a bit of a faff. Compared to NZB.su though everything sort of sucks and I'm irritated with myself for getting purged.

I'm with you there. I assume they purged me because I wasn't a paying member, because I met their other requirements.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

In regards to these nzb.su invites going around, are you essentially required to pay for VIP once you're in, or do they still have decent free accounts?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

yotoc posted:

Not 100% sure but I think they're free and you can buy VIP. The free accounts are no API, but you can download the nzb from the site.

Thanks. I don't use the API anyway so that's cool. I was an old free user that got purged, so I'll keep an eye out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

My invite to NZB.su seems okay, although it hiccuped a bit during registration. When I try to login putting in the wrong details it tells me "login failed", but correct ones just reset that login window.
If I select "forgot password" I input my email and it tells me "No user with that email address was found". I can't re-register as my invite is now "old or already used".
I think I broke it, yeah?

e: can current users look up members? If so, can you check to see when "gromit" joined to see if it lists today's date?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Grab Meatcastle posted:

Are you trying to log in with your username or your e-mail address? For some reason when I first registered if I tried to log in with my e-mail address it would never work, but if I used my username it worked fine.

Tried both to no avail. Might have to consider this application a write-off and try another invite later on.

fake edit: Ok, just tried logging in from my work PC and it's fine. This is weird.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

vikingstrike posted:

Just clear your browser's cache and try again.

Nope, didn't make any difference. Works for me in Internet Explorer but not FF.
Might try resetting my FF profile and give it a go.

e: yep, that got it. Well, deleting my profile and starting again.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 13, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It's a shame that nzb.su doesn't allow you to do any searches in specific categories unless you're VIP (or cull unwanted categories in your profile.) I use that feature a lot but nothing else to warrant VIP.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Crackbone posted:

Rename with mediamonkey, and stop giving gently caress about quality as long as it's 160kbps.

Yeah, this is me. I care so little about music that I'm happy so long as it meets some minimum criteria on quality. On some level it amazes me how serious some people are about it, but whatever - they can do what they like.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm currently with Supernews for $10/month. Is Astraweb at $7.50/month like Squack has posted going to be any different to me? I expect not, and would be happy to save a few bucks each month. But if Astra sees a lot more DMCA takedowns or anything I'll stick where I am.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nam Taf posted:

I pull 580KB/sec if I let 100% of my DSL connection use it. Hooray Aussie internet :toot:

If we're having a race to the bottom for Australia I get a maximum of 500k/sec. No NBN in my area and I'm right on the border between two exchange coverage areas so the maximum distance from either. And when it rains the internet drops in and out. But hey - I'm on the list for HFC maybe being installed in 2018. Whoo!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Heners_UK posted:

Anyone having issues signing into their free xs Usenet accounts to reactivate it? Old pass won't work and password recovery isn't either.

I had to create a new account about a month ago because I had the same issues.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I recently had to rebuild my Windows 7 OS and have everything back up and running. However, when I tell Sabnzdb to go to sleep once a download has completed ("On Finish" -> "Standby PC") it instead goes into hibernation. I just want it to go into low power mode and not write everything to disk.
Does anyone happen to know exactly where I should be looking to change the behaviour back to what it used to do? I can't find anything in the power settings that would indicate if it should sleep or hybrid/hibernate when I chose the option to sleep. What does Sab use to determine what I mean when I select that option?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Do you know for sure your NUC has good RAM and disk? I'm wondering if your playback device has a hardware failure that is causing the issue, rather than you NAS storage?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 10, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I've seen a number of incompletes lately on Frugal. Is this just a coincidence or do they use a source that is famous for that?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

In my very limited experience, all the releases with x265/HEVC are at best same quality as x264 with smaller file size. I'm excluding these releases because I don't care so much about the file size, but one of my Kodi machines chokes on HEVC.

So, my question is...am I missing out on any releases or groups doing releases that are actually better quality?

I did a scene comparison between two 720p videos, one x264 (800MB I think, possibly 1GB) and one x265/HEVC (300MB or so). The HEVC was noticeably worse as the actor's skin lost all pores, but this was on a still frame. I'm not sure I'd notice the difference in motion but I've not bothered getting HEVC since. My connection is fast enough and I get enough quota per month to not care about the smaller size if the quality is worse.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Is there a simple "click this button" to have SABNZDB rename files to match the folder name? I often see obfuscated filenames, but the parent folder is fine so I just manually rename them to match. If SAB did this itself I'd be pretty happy, though. If it's possible, I'm hoping it isn't something that requires me to set some flag on every NZB in the queue that I download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

About once a month sabnzbd will throw up an error "Unpacking failed, unable to find XXXX.partNN.rar". The completed file is sitting in a folder named "_UNPACK_filename" but is named wrong, so I just go in and rename it and I'm all good. This isn't a huge problem, I'm just wondering if anyone knows why it might happen every now and again? Win 7 and latest version 2.3.1, plenty of disk space, no SMART errors.