Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

oooh - I'll be upgrading shortly! Thanks for the work you do on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

This is almost certainly a network question more than a Usenet question, but I'm hoping that there's an easy and obvious solution.

Linksys Wireless N router (E2500)
Wireless N USB adapter (2.4 GHz) on a desktop running SABnzbd (Windows 7)
Using astraweb, 12 connections

I'm getting slightly faster downloads compared to my old Linksys WRT54G, but downloads seem to completely overwhelm any other internet traffic. I can't get to Google -- nothing but DNS errors.

I don't think I used any prioritizing settings with my older router; can anyone think of any way to resolve this?

Throttling would work, as others have mentioned - but I'd be suspicious of your router. I've had 3 different wireless models over the years from various vendors and have never seen all other traffic die. Slow down, yes, but not to the point that even a DNS lookup failed. vanilla slimfast mentioned trying a different firmware but if the Linksys is still relatively new, I'd consider returning it and trying another one. Or at least checking for a new firmware version before going to a replacement firmware.