Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

duz posted:

Time Warner doesn't care about a terrabyte in a month. I've done that and others in the channel have and they've never complained.

Be warned though that with cable service it all depends on your area. If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of other bandwidth users your node could be highly saturated and they'd sit up and take notice. I don't know what they would do, or if they even could do anything but they will notice if it is having negative effects on other customers.

It works both ways though as people go way over the Comcast limit (250g/mo) and never get a word about it because they aren't affecting other customers becuase the area isn't as saturated as in an area like San Fran, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God drat, downloaded 60 gigs of Linux Distros and every single file is missing like 13mb, not leaving enough parity bits to repair. No one on any of the sites is reporting the NZB is missing bits and I tried random files on both the US and EU Astraweb SSL servers, both give the same result. Am i hosed?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Did astraweb just die?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is it possible to use Blocknews to just grab bits of data that's causing files to fail CRC check? Or does it have to download the entire file again? I assume it won't/can't work that way but maybe there's some magical goon open source project or something.

Also, how is Usenetnow? I currently use the Astraweb $11 unlimited after switching from Giganews due to files randomly dissapearing minutes after posting :cop: but I'll switch like a mofo to save 2 bucks a month.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 25, 2011

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Anyone know the best usenet app for android. I just discovered that this thing can do torrents so now I'm trying to turn it into my computer away from home. Also whats the best way to use android to tell my computer to grab stuff off of usenet?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

0x17h posted:

Unless your computer is ancient, it shouldn't affect anything on a measurable level. I'm running Sickbeard and SABnzbd on an HP Microserver N36L and it maxes out my internet connection of I allow it (50 SSL connections, 3MB/sec download speed).

Why so many connections? My internet speed maxes out around the same as yours but I saturate at about 4. Doesn't more threads wear out your hard drive?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Thermopyle posted:

Hah. Was this a joke?

What the hard drive thing? Maybe I had some bad luck but I noticed that I went through hard drives incredibly fast when I used to run more than 10 threads at a time. I always thought that writing 10+ files at a time had something to due with it. :colbert:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
http://scenerules.irc.gs/

http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2009_XViD.nfo

SD xvid is widely standardized like others have mentioned and if it's stuff that will be deleted right after watching I usually do xvid, especially if it's something I'm going to watch on my ipod or phone.

That site is cool though there's all sorts of docs related to different scene and their rules and standards.

Heres the BDRip standards, it's pretty interesting and goes a long way to stop 300 different releases causing a mess where no one knows which one has problems playing, sync issues etc... http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2010_BDr.nfo

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Sfv checks the consistancy of the files. It's a reference file that measures every file in the set. Often theres also a set of parity (par) files that can not only check the set for damaged or missing files, but also repair and create them if needed. But each parity set only has a certain amount of blocks to use for repair and if a lot of files are broken or missing you're left to try a different newshost and hope they aren't hosed on that one too. Note that if parity files and sfv files are created from a set broken files then they will think the broken files are a-ok as it has no proper original. Though this isn't your case because a set of files that fails consistancy across 3 distinct usenet backbones is rare and odd. Try running an error check on your harddrive lately?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 18, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I'm starting to see more and more SDTV x264 encoded tv stuff that Sickbeard isn't picking up under it's SDTV option, the HDTV picks up 720p x264 but the SDTV ones are the normal 400-600mb size as traditional xvid avi rips.

Is there a way to create this on my own or do we wait for it to be included?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So SABnzbd keeps deleting subtitles rars and the idx/sub/srt files if and when it unzips them (if it even unpacks them at all).

I've searched high and low in the config for a setting, and the only filetypes I have listed in the cleanup section are .srr, .sfv, and .nzb. What am I missing here?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Mister Fister posted:

Hmm, that kinda stinks, i noticed that there are a lot of BR-Rips that are in 720p though. They seem smaller in size than regular 720p files

Those are sort of a hybrid between 720 resolution but a bitrate between that of a BRrip and a regular 720p release. They aren't scene standard but some people like them.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So is there a consensus as to which app is best for getting Usenet binaries on Android devices? I know it's been asked by I can't search on my phone. I'm using NZBleech and it works okay but I'm maxing out at 400 K/sec. Is it the program or is that the phone? The connection is not 20 ?eg and speedster shows my phone does that easily.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

RE90 posted:

Thinking about buying a NZBsRus vip account as an NZBMatrix refugee. I'm not sure how to access whether it is a worthwhile investment without first polling you experts...

NZBRUS has been really flakey as of late, even before all this other poo poo went down. I'd give them money only as a last resort because I'd bet dollars to donuts they'll be next in line to go.

On the plus side you can only pay them in bitcoins, so that's hilarious.

They also seem to have the largest user base actively involved in commenting releases now that NZBmatrix is gone. Unfortunetly most of the people there are complete idiots as to how the scene works and if left to their own devices will start begging the person who uploaded the nzb (stolen from nzbmatrix) for the bluray rip (of a lunix distro). The mods aren't much better.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 13, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Whatever happened to the goonzb thing?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
More on the passworded files.

Is there a way to have SABnzbd tell sickbeard that the files it got were passworded, mark that specific set as bullshit and go after another set of files, even if they're named the same thing?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

sharktamer posted:

Any idea if this lets the new builds work with anime series? I'll have to give this a go when I get home.

You sure are a cool techno wizard.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Blocknews(Usenetnow) doesn't use an auto take down in response to DCMA requests, Astraweb does. That said I used astraweb for years without issue.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Lol what kind of company can you not bill anyone for 2 years and still be around to let everyone off the hook. Running newsgroup backbones must be super high margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I almost paid what was 24 dollars in bitcoin for a nzbs r us account a decade ago that would be like 40000 dollars now.

I always wonder how much that person made out with in the end because soon after the site was gone forever.