Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

thrawn86 posted:

recently I'm completely unable to download anything in HD from nzb.su (blocknews).

I dont use NZB.su but i havent seen a problem. Does the log of Sab say anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

thrawn86 posted:

just error 430 for missing articles. I'm trying brand new ( <5d ) as well as older releases as well.

I would ask you to post up an example of something you tried but being against forum rules Im not sure how you could convey that information. Seems unlikely everything would be missing but also seems unlikely it could be an NZB problem with nzb.su so I dont know.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 25, 2012

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

thrawn86 posted:

nzbmatrix is giving me the same errors. I'm down to trying another client at this point.

well i dunno then. maybe write into support asking if anything is up.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

thrawn86 posted:

well i dunno then. maybe write into support asking if anything is up.

tried grabit and binreader, they're 4/4 on HD content that sabnzbd chokes on.
[/quote]

Weird. Maybe a fresh install of Sab is in order then.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Thauros posted:

I use blocknews as my sole Unenet account since I'm not that heavy a downloader. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I max out my connect speed, and I've often downloaded files well over a year old with no issues.

Similar story. Never let me down and support is light years ahead of astraweb. Also been seeing grumblings in other forums of astraweb loving up, slow speeds, etc etc.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Keito posted:

So did you actually use astraweb yourself? I don't know what you mean by support because I never had to contact them, but they maxed my connection everywhere I tried and had very few missing articles.

Yes i used them some years ago and they left me high and dry on a very simple issue over the weekend certainly not the end of the world but hey others can get it done on the weekends no reason astraweb cant with all of their subscribers they have. Plenty of complaints about them in various forums to but maybe that is because they have so many vocal users. I guess in the end just use what works best for you.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Achtung! Panzer posted:

My favourite cheap Usenet host that was based in Holland has disappeared. (http://www.lightningusenet.com/) :smith: I used to just pay £4.50 for a months Usenet and go on a download spree.

Frugal usenet is similar. i guess you could sign up then cancel right after and have access for the rest of the month and do this each time.

Usenetnow sells one week unlimited to and also non subscription months too fyi.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

inpheaux posted:

FrugalUsenet, UsenetNow and Blocknews are all the same company, by the way. They just differentiate their different plans by spinning up complete new "brands".

Yea i know. got blocknews for anything beyond frugal usenets retention.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sperg Victorious posted:

Usually once something goes up on NZBMatrix, Astraweb will get a DMCA takedown notice.

Edit: In fact, their whole DMCA process is automated and you can get any post nuked from Astraweb if you send in your complaint to the email.

Amazing isnt it? If I was a customer of that lovely service I would see it as a slap in the face.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tapedump posted:

Anyone use Readnews? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, only Giganews, Highwinds, and Astraweb. I wonder how it stacks up vis a vis takedowns, retention, and such.

I think at this point it is safe to say that not mentioning where something is or isnt available is best. the forums that talk about all the recent removals show that "they" are watching online discussions and indexers and taking action. id say we brought it on ourselves partly. loving sucks.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Alfajor posted:

I used a free account on xsusenet to get my feet wet, and I've decided to jump in and go with a real usenet provider now, and with a block plan.
I'm a bit :tinfoil: about paying for one with my real card, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pre-paid Visa card or similar to get an account on BlockNews or similar. Good, bad or best idea?

Blocknews has the option to mail cash to them or money order which seems to be a payment option right on the sign up page. testing it shows a form to print and mail in with payment. doesnt get more anon than that i think.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
astraweb has really hosed things up with propagation that is all. has been happening for several days. nothing propagates out complete to anyone else. i do not think it is dmca take downs just crappy astraweb loving everyone over even there non customers.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Ixian posted:

If it was corrupt poo poo from Astraweb it probably was DMCA related - Astraweb's automated DMCA system was among the earliest to be hit, and hit hard, by the companies representing media interests. They get so many notices that I won't be surprised if they are the next to go.

Like I said, it's random chance at the moment, not anything special Supernews is doing to avoid it. When a request is made, they have to comply, and they have to comply immediately, without warning or delay - or face being put out of business. The actual notices depend on the media and whether the studio behind it either cares enough to police it themselves or hires some other company to do it. The old trick was simply to repost/rename since notices are only good for the specific article, but these days even that isn't enough, not with the rise of third party companies willing to do that level of policing for a fee.

No in this case and the past few weeks it has been astracraps lovely propagation. 'They' cant DMCA something that has not been posted yet. They wouldnt have any article IDs to send in to be removed. A DMCA request cant be sent in faster than the articles propagate to other peers.

Define immediately? Providers get the notice and have to respond how fast? Minutes? 1 business day? 3 business days? I think that is a grey area in the DMCA law that needs major clarification. As far as I know it gives no specific time frame. Astracrap just took it upon themselves to interpret their version of the law and do it within seconds / minutes. gently caress them.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How are you even sure it's Astraweb, anyway? Last time people were saying that it was a bullshit rumour that got way out of hand on nzbmatrix and wasn't actually anything to do with Astraweb at all.

All of the busted articles (at the time, including up to a few days ago) were posted through Astra eu server. they were showing incomplete on many indexers, binsearch and nzbindex included (lots of red..perhaps for christmas time?) as well as headers missing and incomplete on all other news servers. from what i could see they were complete on astra. somewhere going from astra to the rest of the world, something broke. if they all peer with each other i think there is little chance for catastrophic failure like this unless the server being posted through completely fucks it up. what i dont know is if switching to the astra us server would fix it. everyone seems to insist on using astra eu.

i wouldnt say the rumor was dispelled on matrix. that guy who made the thread had little reasoning and is constantly over thinking things. unless you are talking about a diff thread or section that i missed.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

sedative posted:

It definitely makes sense for you to go from Farm to Frugal since you'll be going from €60 or €96 a year to $50 (or $40 not a referral link), but if someone already has a cheap $25ish Highwinds provider they might be better off just buying a block from Farm rather than switching. 500 gigs from Farm could last for years with an unlimited Highwinds provider.

had an account on frugal many years ago and they sent an email this past weekend about the changes with a sale price too. i disabled all servers except the frugal and farm server (never had farm before) for the last couple of days and the bonus server definitely helps and i have accumulated 40 gigs of traffic from just the bonus server (100 from frugal). TBF I am really pushing it to see what it can do so results may not be typical. at this point it would seem like it is just splitting hairs to save a few cents each month to piece together what frugal gives via other accounts or block accounts when you should be able to set this up in the newsreader and forget it.

also fwiw when i enabled just the bonus server with my express block account the bonus server still provided the post over Express so take that for what its worth.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 28, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

sedative posted:

Do you have farm and frugal set as the same priority or is farm the backup? If they're the same, set farm as the secondary account and see how it works. If farm is already the backup, which indexers are you using? That's a lot of stuff that's been removed from the highwinds server.

i set it the way they recommended on the website. two frugal servers is higher priority than farm. farm is set as #2. i mostly use geek then dog and then another that does not like to be mentioned. i thought the results were interesting to but like i said i really pushed it to test things trying completely random off the wall posts. i am going to run things the rest of the week with my normal grabs and usage to see how things go but at least it seems like a frugal account will take care of most things thrown at it unless they have been dmca'd out of existence.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Looking for a cheap TB block. If anyone sees a deal please post it. The poor retention on NewsGroupDirect is really showing. I signed up for a free 10gb block on Usenet.Farm and it instantly filled in the missing blocks. Time to jump from NGD I guess but I hate wasting the rest of my annual unlimited plan.

as mentioned frugal usenet is omicron access but it now gives farm access as well on a bonus server. the regular frugal servers should be more complete than newsgroupdirect by themselves and then the Farm access comes in in the clutch if you have it set up right priority wise in your newsreader or i guess you could just use the farm server if you wanted.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

EvilMoFo posted:

I had wondered why I couldn't find any backbone info for free-usenet, now I know.

there is a reason why they are banned from even being mentioned on reddit. i cant really see supporting them since they really do not help usenet in the long run but i suppose there is no honor among thieves.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

You really want more than one unlimited provider (with different back-ends) at the same priority level in your downloader for the best chance at completing all your downloads.

I dont understand why all are priority 0 since arent they all downloading together at once and not really showing you who is really helping who? basically if one was set at priority 0 and then 1 and 2 and 3 etc you would be abl;e to see as it goes down the line and tries one after the other if it really needs to so it can complete.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

That sucks but luckily they offer 3 month trial (or close to it with the first 3 months being sub half a dollar) so I might cancel it. Lot of time I want to download the original BD disk and those are mostly gone.

Posted on the previous page but Newshosting seems (on paper) to have high retention. Does it match reality?

Personally I don't download enough to warrant several providers at once so I'm looking for the best overall. Right now I only have 300 Mbps so it doesn't need to support anything higher than that.

NGD sucks when it comes down to it for anything oldish and in that case idk why anyone would bother when they can get old and new from the same provider elsewhere. if you dont want to or dont need to pay for multiple at once there is frugal usenet which has two providers so you have that benefit. it has what ngd used to have for server access plus usenetfarm access in one. only drawback is like 3000 days retention but newshosting has full retention but you may have dmca takedowns on the old posts just the same.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

I'll set them all as different priorities for a month and see what changes, sounds sciencey

Edit: The immediate problem is that it only downloads from the server with the highest priority, so if that can't saturate your connection it will be pretty slow. The equal priority race condition is a lot faster since it downloads from all 0-priority servers at once, and I don't think it would lose any articles since it goes down the line looking for any missing ones (eventually hitting the block account)

newshosting should be able to saturate your gigabit connection and ninja is the same as newshosting so make both of those priority 0. with all those connections gigabit shouldbe no sweat. yes do it for science! lol it may be worth trying a new order the following month.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Anyone know what backbone premiumize.me is on? They aren't primarily a Usenet provider, and you have a monthly quota shared between all their stuff. But I've been noticing it has been catching 99% of things that fall to it. I have it as same priority as the frugal bonus server since both have a 1TB monthly quota which is also really impeccable as a backup.

what is the server address of the premiumize server? i thought you had to use there special software?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Former Human posted:

UsenetExpress only has 1100 days retention, servers are all in the US, and the VPN service is spotty. It's cheap for a reason.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/usenetexpress

it is also the same as newsgroupdirect which doesnt exactly have glowing reviews even just in this topic as far as retention goes. 1100 days is a very generous number for them to advertise probably borderline false advertising. also i dont think i would want to pay for 4 years upfront of anything especially usenet. end of the year prices will probably be 20 bucks a year the way they keep dropping.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 1, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

pzy posted:

$32.29/yr unlimited from https://newsgroupdirect.com/usenet-deals

Get them all! The more unlimited providers the better!

ngd isnt really that good these days to be honest.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I'm currently using NewsGroupDirect as my primary and I THINK it's a UsenetExpress reseller. I only thought that there was Giganews and Highwinds.

newsgroupdirect sucks now for anything over several days old. i think you will chew through a block account pretty quickly and the savings wont really make sense.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! Ninja was $10 cheaper annual than NGD so this worked out nicely. I'll hawk for a block account deal when they come around. Appreciate the input.

for the HW access there is also frugal usenet and it also has farm access as well with the same membership. ninja has some reputation on reddit where they arent really well liked for some reason but i have not really followed why.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

NewsGroupDirect have created free unlimited access for their block accounts to use, apparently no strings attached? You just need to change the NNTP server

Link here

They've also got 1TB blocks for $7.

Im not sure if NGD is even worth it for the price of free to be honest.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised to find it catching things that are missing on my usuals.

holy poo poo, you have 21 servers configured? that is strange though. some are duplicates but i wonder why eu ninja or eu frugal is giving results after the US servers of the same backbones are tried. are those all set as same priority or each one numbered 1-21?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

That's just the order I've added them to NZBGet. Ninja, Tweak, Frugal, and NGD Covid are all highest priority, as they are unlimited servers.

Upthread this was talked about, maybe in the last two months? If all servers are the same priority then they will all be downloaded from at the same time splitting the load. if something just happened to be downloaded on ninja EU or NGD covid, that doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt on any of the others it just means it was grabbed from that server during download, with the other priority zero's. i think to really see whats what every server would need its own priority 0-21 and to see if covid really had something no other server had it would need to be priority 21.

the other poster was going to try for science for a month but last i knew they didnt report back the results.

i went back to find the discussion it was on feb 20th. this was about sabnzb but nzbget is similar i believe.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 20, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Like in a case where every server has every article, every server will report success% as 100 and failures% as 0.

thanks for the explanation. i never accessed the stats of nzbget that much before. i dont understand the above statement though. why would nzbget query every enabled server for each article downloaded even if the server is not the one used for specific parts of the download? how could it say 100% of the download was on any specific server if 100% of the download was not from any specific server?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Fancy_Lad posted:

but anything that comes in automated has been a non-issue for quite some time.

i think automated downloads or basically anything posted within minutes / hours is going to be complete no matter who you use. heck altopia could get the job done for you in that case. it is what happens after you get out of that "new" period that makes it a good server to have or not. the retention on ngd / express is just very spotty at the end of the day. i dont have access to the covid server though so maybe they are doing something on there thats different.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
isnt the retention of supernews like 500 days now? feel like there would be a huge difference in swapping to anybody else.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 22, 2020

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Do providers usually have holiday sales? I went ahead and signed up with Frugal, they were already on the low end of cost and the only other provider I saw that came with both US and NL servers was Astraweb at almost double the cost. Ninja seems to be about average in price, if they knock off 25% or something around Xmas I wouldn't mind picking them up for an EU backbone.

NInja has the same US and EU servers as frugal but frugal has an extra backup server form Usenet farm which is a true EU backbone. you might be able to get ninja for $30 for a year but frugal is $40 or $50 with the same servers plus the extra farm backbone which is sort of a no brainer.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

sedative posted:

I think this is the cheapest unlimited deal right now: $25/year https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50

This one is still working too if you don't need unlimited: $15, 500GB/month for 24 months https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20205002

This has been up for awhile: https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/neQeZxl $40 per year Same servers as newsdemon plus you get 12 terabytes per year of Usenetfarm access as well. you cant even buy 12 terabytes from farm for that price. obviously depends on the coverage you need but i think every one of us has or wants multiple backbones these days.

the 500 gigs for 24 months is pretty interesting though.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Also, making sure I understand this properly: Since I already have Frugal I should be looking out for a provider from a different backbone like Eweka or Abavia right?

you already have a different backbone with frugal. the regular servers are omicron (ninja, demon etc) and then the bonus server is usenet farm. i guess if you really need more find a block account elsewhere.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Red Baron posted:

My frugal Usenet sub just expired, I didn’t have any real issues with them, but I’m open to other providers as well. Is the list in the OP still current or are there other providers I should check out?

Did you use the bonus server at all? essentially two backbones now in one service for coverage if needed. Usenetfarm and omicron. last month they also started giving a blocknews account with each yearly subscription so you have retention going all the way back.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

norp posted:

Just note that free-usenet is considered harmful to the ecosystem because rumour is that it's actually not backbone connections but multiple retail accounts that they proxy through to end users

ive heard that to for quite a few years. every now and then they go offline for a day or so and then appear again. maybe because they get caught and have to move things? i have had an old account there for years but it just does not see much usage at all.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

i went for it, everyone who posts random cheap blocks are heroes

looks like its usenet express to fill retention but is otherwise its own backbone?

no it is just usenet express reseller with retention or completion not that particularly good.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

It seems like it was highwinds then switched over to something new that is using UE to build retention. There's some posts on reddit on it by the owner. I'm just happy it's not a hw reseller since that's my primary and I'm dumb enough to check after the fact

yes they switched to UE from highwinds a couple years ago i think. all UE, same IPs same everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Hm bummer. I overextended myself a bit and have Frugal, Demon AND Eweka now, pretty sure I don't need all 3 and that Frugal and Demon are largely redundant to each other. Would be nice if Demon diversified itself and actually acted as a 3rd source/backbone, but I don't know how likely that is, I wasn't around for the NGD thing so I don't know how they changed. Assuming completions just tanked?

Frugal and Demon were selling the same Omicron servers (although frugal also has usenetfarm server to) but now Demon is usenet express (which sucks btw) so now they arent redundant but i really dont see why you would need demon anymore. the retention blows and i dont think it will have anything that frugal doe snot already have either on the omicron servers or the usenet farm server (not to mention eweka).