Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Hogburto posted:

Setting the US Astra server as a primary and EU Astra server as a back-up solved my Astraweb problems when I used them as my unlimited.

What do you use now? I'm using giganews which has been amazing but drat that Astraweb deal looks great. Will I regret it if I cancel my giganews unlimited subscription and spring for that 1 year Astraweb deal instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Sperg Victorious posted:

I just switched to supernews. The retention is nearly the same as well as the price. But I'd still pick up a block account somewhere for DMCA holes.

I just switched to Supernews from Giganews as well. Are there any recommendations for a good backup account (on a different server group)? Now that I'm paying less per month, I can afford to pay for a backup service. OP recommends Blocknews, is that still current?

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Lenins Potato posted:

I've used up about 220 megabytes from my block account, but 27.4 gigs from Supernews.

Hmm.. is there a way to tell sabnzbd to only download off of the backup server if the file can't be repaired?

So the priority list would be like

1. Download from primary server. If that fails, then
2. Try to download the PAR2s (from the primary server) and use those to repair, unless we don't have enough parity to repair, in which case
3. Fall back to the backup block provider

Unless I'm retarded and that's how it works already.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Lenins Potato posted:

Giganews removes the first 2 articles from each file, if you have 10+% redundancy on pars, it is possible to repair most of them.

Wait so when Giganews gets a DMCA takedown notice, they just remove the first 2 articles from each file? Why not remove all the posts? Wouldn't that be easier for them as well as more satisfying for the people sending the notice?

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Is it worth deleting the files and the .nzb and starting the whole thing again, or is that just going to give me the exact same result? (I think it will be pointless but I'm a brand new newbie at this).

You're probably screwed unless you try getting the files from a different provider. Whatever you were downloading was probably missing some pieces. This can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they get taken down for various reasons, sometimes they are too old and start expiring, sometimes the uploader just screwed up and didn't upload all the parts.