Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
New to usenet, figured I'd give it a try before spending money on it. Are there any free trials where I don't have to submit billing information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Shane-O-Mac posted:

XS Usenet has a free subscription, it's just limited and sloooow. I used it when I was testing the waters.

Cool, thanks. I just want to see what the setup is like and didn't want to enter billing info for something I may not end up using.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Oh yeah, it's nearly worthless for actual use. It makes for a good test, though.

This is exactly what I wanted it for. I have to say first impressions are that the sabNZBD+ interface isn't very intuitive. The download progress bar is tiny enough to be unreadable, doesn't seem to be modifiable, I can't tell what the current download rate is, etc etc

Are there better themes for it?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Is the OP up-to-date? I'm currently using a Sonarr/Radarr/Deluge setup for torrents but getting annoyed at the inconsistent download speeds and so many downloads stuck doing nothing so thinking about add/switching to usenet.

I'm currently looking at Newshosting/Nzbgeek with a Sonarr/Radarr/Nzbget setup - are these good recommendations? Also googling setup guides as it looks like there's a bunch of configuring to do.

edit: actually, scratch that - doesn't look like nzbgeek is accepting registrations

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 25, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Lol, a 'register account' link has appeared on NZB Geeks but all it does is tell you registrations are closed.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I have had torrent downloads stuck in Deluge for months and within 2 days of adding Usenet to Sonarr I'm clearing dozens of missing files, and all at the maximum speed offered by my ISP.

Do folks here tend to use more than 1 indexer?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep. It's not uncommon for indexers to have differing posts.

Cool. I might add NzbGeeks if they get payments other than crypto sorted out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've got Sonarr & Radarr set up to download from usenet. Most of the time it works, sometimes I'll get most of the way through a download before it suddenly aborts with the error 'articles missing'. What does this mean? Can I prevent it form trying to download things if they aren't complete?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

My PC died recently so I've had to set up SABnzbd from scratch and there's a few things I don't quite understand:

edit: for some reason it was only set to 8 max connections. I upped it to 100 and it's much faster

2. Some downloads keep failing and I'm not sure why

These downloads are being added by Sonarr - is there a way I can get it to not add downloads with missing articles?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Might wanna edit out the name of the Linux iso you’re trying to download there

It doesn’t know there are missing articles until it tries to download the file. The best workaround is to buy a block account from a different provider to use as a backup, as oftentimes missing articles are still up elsewhere. You want a block account because it’s not another monthly sub, it just gives you a big chunk of downloads you can use to fill out any gaps in things your main provider doesn’t have.

There’s a diagram somewhere ITT (possibly in the OP but I’m phone posting right now and it won’t load) that’ll tell you which providers are actually using different backends instead of just reselling the same servers, so just pick one that’s different to your current provider and add it as a lower priority server in sabnzbd. Make sure you add it as lower priority so it doesn’t just get burnt through for no reason when stuff is available on the main service.

Thanks! I thought it might be the case that it can't tell if articles are missing until it starts. I will check out block accounts.