Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Couple of questions. So, for now, if I just want to faff about with this to see what the craic is (used Usenet in the past, but lol, long time ago) I should:

1) Download sabnzbd (is there some reason I would want Sickbeard or Couchpotato to begin win?),
2) Make an account on an indexer (is there any that you would specifically recommend at the minute?),
3) Grab an account with Blocknews for whatever money is idling in my Paypal account,
4) Add get the wee extension in my browser to save myself a bit of hastle?

That's it right? Just set the options in sabnzbd for Download folder/whatever, and once that's done the firefox addon just gives me wee links to click on the indexing sites that does the rest for me?

Am I reading that correctly from the OP?

I think in the past I paid for an indexer too? Is there any reason to now? People seem to like DogNZB, should I just go ahead and opt for that?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sooo, I was chewing through that 200GB Blocknews chunk at a right old rate (120gb in 4 days), so I went ahead and got a NewsDemon unlimited account, and set Blocknews to be the backup server.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they're both Highwinds resellers, so that was a bit stupid. Ah well, can't be helped now.

So, should I switch the Blocknews backup account to something different when its used up? Suggestions for block account, that isn't Highwinds?

Or should I switch the NewsDemon account at the end of the month to something else, again, that isn't Highwinds, as I'll keep the remainder of the Blocknews as the backup in this case.

Thanks!

Also is there any other indexers that I should know of aside from NZBmatrix (which I discovered I had a VIP account on), NZB.su and DogNZB?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 16, 2012

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

UndyingShadow posted:

The best main feed I've found is Supernews. I actually have 2 backup block accounts, Blocknews and Astraweb (they occasionally haves sales.)

Try to get a free account with xsusenet.com. They're super unreliable, but it can't actually hurt to have it is a backup server.

I guess I could go with Supernews, and keep whatever left of the Blocknews (if any) as backup. I signed up for that free one you linked as well, no point in not adding it as a backup, thanks, and found out my ISP runs a free newsgroup server with 30 day retention too, so that might as well go on the backup list too.

There are these guys http://gibinews.eu/ which cost next to nothing. Anyone heard anything about that? You cant upload, but who wants to do that?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 16, 2012

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

SlipperyNipple posted:

For reference, Blocknews is not a crappy highwinds seller. Not sure how you arrived at that.

Well if you Google "Blocknews" and "Reseller" you get a lot of hits saying Blocknews is a Highwinds reseller, it was a fairly linear process. :P

SlipperyNipple posted:

Best bet, get supernews with blocknews backup or Usenetnow (which is blocknews unlimited) with Astraweb block. Get rid of lovely highwinds entirely.

I'll keep it in mind! Cheers!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I need to buy another block...any decent deals at the minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Well I sure feel stupid now for not signing up with dognzb back when I had a chance.