Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

does anyone still use usenet for actual conversations and not filesharing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ok so I have a bit of a conundrum. If this isn't the right place to post this, or if this shouldn't be posted on these here forums at all, pm me and I'll strike the post down like the wrath of hell (probes scare me :ohdear:)

I was doing a nice comfy watchfest with my friends of a show, that i had torrented onto my VPS. I got dmca'd and accordingly removed the content, but I have a strike against my account now. I and my friends have been getting pretty depressed since we can't watch those shows together now, because I don't want to get kicked off my provider, and I'm not really sure how to set things up now.

I figure I have three options for proceeding:

• Somehow set it up to run the traffic through my VPN -- every time I've tried this the internet to the server broke entirely.
  • Use a seedbox, transfer the files over to the VPN -- most cheap (sub $5) seedboxes don't ignore dmcas, the ones I've found say they'll remove the account if too many are had, this is the same situation I'm in now.
  • Pivot to Usenet for pulling stuff down.

Given the difficulties I've had from the first two options, Usenet is looking pretty attractive. I don't mind shelling out $15/yr + a small monthly charge, and I don't require anything more than 500GiB download, really. These are small 720p/420p files (Preferably they're h264+aac before I download, but I could run an ffmpeg job on them during the week to fix that). I've tried to do research on these options but the information on the internet is scattered, and it's difficult to find anything reliable.

From what I can tell my vps provider doesn't really filter traffic (I'm happy to disclose who it is as long as that doesn't violate any of the rules here :ohdear:), so do yall think Usenet would be a good option here?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 27, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Burden posted:

Yeah usenet will work fine. You are in luck as this seems like a good time to get started You'll need to get a server. Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.
Next you will need a good indexer NZBgeek is open again, but they are only using crypto for payment at the moment but they say are opening up other payment options shortly.
After you get those two you just need to figure out what application you want to use (Sabnzbd or Nzbget) to download from Usenet and if you want to automate the downloads.

Ahhh this is great, thank you :dance:

Bank posted:

FWIW I use Usenet for most of my stuff, and once in a blue moon I have to resort to other means but I have a seedbox from Kimsufi for that. It's based somewhere in Europe and I've never had a notification for anything but to pay my bill.

I think it's around $5/month and it works great. I use SFTP to transfer things home and once that happens I wipe off the server. I'm sure there are ways to automate it, but I'm not determined enough to set that up.

Thanks, I'll add this to my consideration :) The seedboxes I'd earmarked were USB's lancer tier, and SonicBit, however the problem is while sonicbit helpfully says "public trackers" in the listing, there's no information on them, and for USB I kept seeing mixed information on DMCA stuff :smith:

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm new to usenet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience it's harder to find niche or older stuff on usenet than my private torrent trackers I use. So if that's a consideration, sign up for some free indexers +block account and see if your content is available

Any free indexers you suggest?

Edit: I meant to mention. Right now I'm with vultr, but for what you actually get the price isn't that good. Netcup looks more hopeful with respect to price, but I've heard (on reddit, usually) stuff about German vps-es doing file hash searches with a general warning to stay away from them if you want to hold content there for a bit -- is any of that true?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Slimy Hog posted:

Lurk around /r/UsenetInvites on reddit and someone will come around with Drunken Slug invites (I know at least one person in this thread has offered them in the past too)

:eyepop: Thank you!

Burden posted:

Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.

Oh! The deal is only for 12 months, I was hoping for something shorter to try it out :smith: Do you (or anyone else) know how long the deal is going to be around for? (I tried looking but couldn't find anything eep) If it's immediate I can shell out fine, but otherwise I'd probably prefer to sit on it and search around a wee bit

Also I feel I'm low-key making GBS threads up the thread lmbo, so sorry for that :ohdear:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0XGwAlB9b/?igshid=orr9jh1o875j my white whale. Japanese low budget effects horror that just seems impossible to find. I spend a few hours once or twice a year just in case it’s popped up since, but nothing. That guy is the only person I know with a copy, I messaged him and saw the ‘person is typing...’ notice then nothing ever came back.

I have a separate plex library just for weird stuff that I don’t give all my friends access to, and I’m sure I’m judged by the ones who do.

I talked to a friend and you can stream it from here for a free 30 day trial -- very likely you can use youtube-dl+axel or Firefox's media info menu to download it from then on. Hope this helps!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Most of the indexers are free but just have low API or download limits, stuff like 100 API hits and 10 downloads. Perfect if you're manually downloading stuff or just getting started with the automation side. Most will have some sort of "VIP" you can pay for that unlock higher limits.

Geek seems to be open for registrations right now and I may have a slug invite

Yeah, I signed up to geek (but I haven't payed yet) and I've been searching some things. Seems a bit hit and miss in the same way that torrents are -- the stuff I'll be watching with friends are there plus a lot of stuff I want so I'm prolly going to sign up. But there's some small old things that are missing, I think. I will keep an eye out for Drunken Slug invites :)

Takes No Damage posted:

No worries, this thread is usually pretty slow so it's not like you're interrupting. If the ~other methods~ being danced around are just torrenting, I haven't had a DMCA email since I got a VPN subscription. With that it's relatively easy to set up a network kill switch for your torrent client so it will only connect through your tunnel.

I have Jackett configured with a few dozen public trackers as a fallback for Usenet, I'd say maybe 20 or 30% of my stuff comes in that way. I'm running Transmission and OpenVPN in a FreeNAS jail (so FreeBSD, but any *nix-like would be similar) with some firewall rules to block all non-tunnel traffic.

Seems to be working fine for a good few months now, so if you just want to be able to torrent in peace that's another option. I use AirVPN and haven't had any issues, but there are tons of options.

Yeah, well like I said I have a VPN, it's just setting it up so it ignores non-torrent traffic, and correctly inserts itself between torrent traffic, has been frustrating so far. I can torrent at home fine without a DMCA because of luck, but my upload rates are so slow I need to do it on the server if I don't want to tank the speed of every connection in the house for a few hours/days while everything uploads.

EDIT: demonnews has a free tier that I'll try out -- fun thing is that the password isn't more than 14 characters ??? who even does that these days????? lmao it baulked on the symbols too

EDIT2: uhhhh. now it won't send to my phone number! 10/10 :laffo:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 28, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

It's probably possible to have a VPN connection specific to certain types of traffic, but that kind of thing is way over my networking head. If having your regular PC sit on the VPN is an issue I'd say get a little crappy laptop, maybe hand a cheap external HD off of it for temp storage, and let it sit in the corner being a VPN mule.

Oh, not locally -- like I said torrenting locally is fine :) It's more torrenting via my vps that's giving me trouble, every time I start it it disconnects me from the server :smith:. I've tried using nordvpn's whitelist, and I've tried using ufw to let some connections just passthrough, to no avail.

But yeah, the virtualization option unfortunately does seem the best at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to get a smallish block account at TheCubeNet running, but it keeps saying my username and password are wrong? I've double and triple checked (Via the email they sent, plus the 'change password' section on their website that lists your username and password), and I've tried each of their servers and ports. I've waited a bit more than an hour, so I don't think it's that it took a bit for the account to set up, and both nzbget and sabnzbd has this problem. Has anyone else had this problem / how did you rectify it?

I'll probably wait a day or so just to rule out it being an account thing and then try again.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sedative posted:

Blocknews has 1TB blocks for $11 if you need an Omicron (for now) block

I just got a 500GiB block for 6$. Also signed up to NZBGeek using the coinbase rewards program to earn free crypto, dumping it into USDC, and then paying for it with that lmao. So I actually did not have to pay anything, just fill out some lovely quizzes.

Amazing :yayclod:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 2, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What's wrong with UsenetExpress?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Poopelyse posted:

drunkenslug is currently open for registration. looks like they accept paypal in addition to bitcoin for the paid tiers

oooooh. thank you for mentionin this!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there a standalone wget-style NZB downloader for unix systems?

So far I've found nzbget and sabznb, which are ideal for long-term server usage or a continuous chance of downloading things. But there doesn't seem to be something I can just pull up in a terminal and let run for a bit before condemning it into the oblivion that is /dev/null once it's finished. I did find a java program for that? I think? I don't remember the name (and also it was a GUI-based program -- which I'm fine with, if that's all there is. But there has to be more, right?)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

nzbget defaults to being a command line utility that can download files like that and then self-terminate, see this link for docs.

Oooh.

The article mentions a VPN -- I know I've asked before re: torrents, but I haven't asked (and couldn't find anyone mentioning) about VPNs in regards to Usenet?

Is it necessary to use one for Usenet? I read somewhere that as long as there's SSL between you and the news server (or whatever it's called), you're free from DMCA notices. Is that the case?

Also, thanks again for everyone's help :)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yet Another Question: Is there a program that will collate searches? So far I have a handful of indexers, but it's a pain to run the same set of queries on all of them one by one.

I know they all support API access, and I know that Sonarr/Radarr can do automatic searching, but is there anything standalone that will allow me to view the results of the same query across all of them? (If not, i guess i can probably make that lol)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So I just tried to pay for Drunken Slug. They asked for 10 EUR so I switched coinbase to EUR and sent it along. And it turns out I am 0.00000013 BTC too short because of price fluctuations

So do I just loving, lose this money now? or what. I can't find anything about if Mycelium Gear refunds it.

Yet another reason to hate bitcoin, I guess.

EDIT: Got in touch with the DS peep, he fixed it

Greatest Living Man posted:

It's called NzbHydra2, and it rules

Thanks!!!

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

And if you use torrent for anything there's an equivalent app called Jackett where you can load in a bunch of indexers and then point Rad/Sonarr to Jackett and have it search them all.

It's weird, Usenet seems to have more stuff that I'm interested in where the torrents are slow/dead/don't exist, but the searchers for torrents seem to be several orders of magnitude better for finding good quality content.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bobfather posted:

Question for Docker-Windows folks: How do you get Usenet programs to not run like molasses?

For example, NZBget on Windows can max my gigabit connection, but in Docker is about 70% slower. Unrar is slower.

It might be the limit of your computer re: virtualization

It's easy enough to rent out a small server and use nzbget on it, and it was super efficient for me

bobfather posted:

Also, Radarr and Sonarr constantly complained about NZBget’s download directory being relatively different, despite the absolute mapping being the same, resulting in neither program being willing to move completed downloads. Is there a secret I am missing? Otherwise, I really freaking love the concept of Docker.

Can you show the error? It could be a permissions thing

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, always just add a couple bucks to whatever payment your sending. If you need to pay $10 then add $12 to your Coinbase account because Bitcoin is a loving disaster.

No if that was the case the payment wouldn't have gone through, coinbase accounts for that

The difference in amount was (off the top of my head): 0.000005 btc, which is below the minimum amount you can send. I typed 10 EUR into coinbase but the price fluctuated at thay exact moment lmao

General reminder that crypto is trash

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao posted:

It's weird, Usenet seems to have more stuff that I'm interested in where the torrents are slow/dead/don't exist, but the searchers for torrents seem to be several orders of magnitude better for finding good quality content.

Ok it turns out there's a knack to searching stuff.

Like, searching for something you gotta put a space where there is a dash, etc. also searching for individual episodes yields higher quality results than searching for "720p" or "x264" since a lot of the latter aren't explicitly marked as such.

hbag posted:

alright well since sabnzbd is cool and good and doesnt loving support SOCKS proxies what else can i use
since my usenet provider isn't accessible from outside so i need to set up an SSH tunnel to access it

and sabnzbd is a little bitch that doesnt like those and DEMANDS i connect directly

nzbget is good and you can use it standalone without needing to prop up a server. Also just use socat to route it.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure that even supports binaries, and not just reading and posting text?

AFAICT it's just the articles -- they would still need a block account somewhere? Maybe? I doubt SDF is storing terabytes of illegal video files.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Literally just use nzbget

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

that's not what im getting at, look at the first screenshot
sonarr's saying it cant import it
why

File access permissions, you need to set a new group, add sonarr's user to it (and whoever else you want) then change the group of the root nzb folder

then you can do `chmod +s nzbfolder` to make sure any new files and directories inherit from that :P

edit: this is basical linux system stuff, please go look up a tutorial on groups and perms!! I used to have the same problem lmao and I only learned about the s flag to chmod while searching out how to not manually set that every drat time

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 2, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

sonarr isn't running on the linux machine lol

That's fine, the downloaded files can still be fucky across network permissions, as others in this thread have mentioned. And the solution is still to change permissions of the folder and files, and make them inheritable, but that would depend on samba or whatever hell program you're using to make it interface with windoze

edit: Also, worth confirming that we're all correct here by enabling debug verbose logging (or whatever verbosest verbosey setting that you can find) and double checking those

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 2, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

UncleGuito posted:

LTTP here but highly recommend dropping raspbian for dietpi. Everything just works and runs very well on my Pi 4.

I use it for docker, plex server, radarr, sonarr, sabnzbd, tautulli, overseerr, and nginx proxy manager. No slow downs, crashes, etc in over 6 months running 24/7.

Same but I've been running Arch Linux :smuggo:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ding ding ding, best comment of the last 40000 pages

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Personally i like to use a Fitbit synced to my yoga patterns to send a signal to my Pi that's connected to a hard disk, that sends a command to one of my Kubernetes deployments (One of them running on my toaster I outfitted with more RAM), that runs NZBGet and Radarr -- in different regions and server providers because I don't trust AWS. After it's downloaded it FTPs it back to my pi so Radarr can pick it up.

When my blood pressure goes above 160mmHg it downloads an episode of The Next Generation that I use to calm down with.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

before i get another 70 posts about how im overcomplicating poo poo im going to preface this entire post by saying i have simplified everything and it is all now running on my pi, since apparently some people cant tilt their eyes upward to read anything other than the most recent post

no need to get salty, and I saw that and am glad u fixed it :))

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Still better than Chia or whatever the gently caress it's called !

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

alright lads any idea on how i can keep NZBget from keeping my nas at 100% volume utilization whenever it downloads poo poo
keep in mind i dont mean read/write speeds, i mean volume utilization - which is apparently a different thing that i understand but cant put into words the differences

Do you mean that it's using a lot of hard disk space to unpack? You could mount a tmpfs for that purpose onto one of the in-progress directories

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oldstench posted:

Well, I've started to get a really weird issue on my SABnzdb client this morning. Whenever I try to download or test the connection to the server I get the following message:
Server [blah blah blah] uses an untrusted certificate [Certificate not valid. This is most probably a server issue.]
Wiki: https://sabnzbd.org/certificate-errors

I've contacted their support and am being told it's on my end. I can make it work by disabling SSL, but I'm not going to do that for obvious reasons. Windows 10 machine - latest updates for everything. Anyone else ever seen this?

Switch to Caddy which means you never have to care about ssl certs again

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sedative posted:

You need an indexer to tell you where the files are https://www.reddit.com/r/Usenet/wiki/indexers

Of the open ones on that page, https://www.tabula-rasa.pw/register, https://nzbfinder.ws/register and https://nzbgeek.info/register.php are the only decent ones in my opinion. Tabula Rasa offers 100 api hits (your sonarr/radarr searches) and 10 downloads per day for free users. I would suggest trying that one to see what it's like.

DrunkenSlug is probably the best bang for your buck on that list, so maybe someone with an account can invite you if you end up liking usenet.

Drunken Slug got me consistently better hits than with NZBGeek to the point that i use it exclusively

The trick with these though is to look at coinbase and do their rewards program. Skip through a few videos on this new bullshit cryptocurrency, answer a few questions, u earn a few bucks worth. Took maybe half an hour to get enough for an indexer. You just convert to bitcoin or whatever and you're done.

Also the folk at Drunken Slug was really chill. I sent like 0.00000001 BTC or whatever lovely cryptocurrency number over the limit and lost money thanks to the bitcoin transfer rates, i just emailed them with the proof of transaction or whatever and they set me right up with a number of months equivalent to the amount of bitcoin i sent :unsmith: was really nice and chill

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Right now when I want to download the Howard Stern Show mp3s, I go to drunkenslug or nzbking (the only indexers that seem to have the show...is there any reason for that?) and then I type in "thss", download the newest episode, and transfer the mp3 to my phone.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end, especially when I'm at work and not near a computer. Is there any way to do all of that from my Android phone? I guess I would need something like SABNZBDB for mobile?

there's an app that plugs into indexers and will fire the nzb towards your downloader server. i think it's called nzb360?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oldstench posted:

Does Slug ever open registration or is always invite only?

I asked on Reddit and someone gave me one. I think I have one or two, if you haven't got one by the time you see this post feel free to dm me :)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there a good alternative to thecubenet with the same pricing range and coverage? Previously I paid a fiver for about 25 gig, and that just ran out so I just shelled out another 8 quid for a 50 gig block. Both times I've had problems with login/password and had to contact support, which were nice but the entire thing is pretty lovely. I was hoping to do some downloading tonight on my server for a movie night tomorrow, and unless their support works weekends there's basically no chance of that happening now :smith:

I do also have a blocknews account but it's not really getting many hits for this specific thing

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SlipperyNipple posted:

if it is dmca removed on blocknews it is almost guaranteed to be gone on cube to (not to mention cube has lovely retention to begin with). unless by "hits" you mean you cant even find search results for it? your best bet is to find a repost that works on Blocknews.

I used to be able to get hits on thecubenet, but not on blocknews, for a specific show. I'm not entirely sure _why_ but for anything above 480p fails on blocknews alone. This implies that thecubenet covers stuff that blocknews doesn't. There are almost no reposts. Maybe because of DMCA? Who knows. All I know is that thecubenet absolutely sucks. Their support is very responsive but if I need to go through this:

- "here is my server config pasted directly. as you can see my login/password are correct. however my login/pw is not being accepted, can you fix it thanks"
- "wow are you sure you have the right details??? here ive sent over the post-sign-up-details i hope it helps!"
- "yeah no that's absolutely not the problem. as you can see by my config"
- "oh sorry! it was something on the server and its fixed now"

every single time I buy storage from them, I'm definitely not buying from them in the future and would like an alternative. It's just mind-numbingly frustrating.

Burden posted:

I use Tweak News as a backup and have been happy. €7 for 50 gigs. They also have a trial for 7 days on recurring plans if you want to try them out first.

thanks i will take a look!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there anything like Popcorn Time but for Usenet? I'm over my friends and having to use cloudflare's warp service with doh, and basically all of my torrents are failing, except for the ones through Popcorn Time which for some reason is succeeding?

Sonarr / Radarr look like overkill given that I don't have any robust infra set up to handle this poo poo. At the moment I'm just using nzbget as a program to pull down nzbs, I'd have to make a thing to make them all start up and shut down in tandem because I don't want to be constantly running it as a server or anything.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there a new April 2022 map for resellers? A lot of things that didn't get hits on BlockNews got hits on TheCubeNet, but I've just had such a repeatedly awful experience with them (Both times I've bought from them, I had to email them to rejig my account after doing a block-based password change -- something that I had to do anyway because the password that came with it didn't work. I have one 50 gig block with 4gig left and it craps out when I try to actually download from them, etc. Just absolutely loving awful and tedious for a service that should literally just work). I'm wondering if I can just go to a reseller for the same network and get something around the same price that actually loving works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I'm surprised they aren't using libmagic or ffprobe