Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Softcox posted:

Don't think this has been posted yet, I just noticed on reddit that Newsdemon is doing unlimited monthly accounts for $5/unlimited data. I just signed up, it's 1/2 what I'm paying supernews and it's a tiny bit faster too.

I'm giving this a go, I can always go back to Supernews :)

Still interested in finding a good blocksale too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just worked fine for me. Thanks for the tip.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
That said, I have found news demon better than super news recently.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If the problem is that severe I think a change in main provider is called for. Block accounts are intended to be for the odd time that main providers fail, as opposed to the norm.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tenchi posted:

Started to use SABnzbd and had a question. If I update SABnzbd will a lose my history and what I was downloading? Upgrading from SABnzbd .7.13 to .7.14.

I'm usually fine

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What's the status of GooNZB?

I looked round, even the IRC channel, buy can't find anything on it that isn't months old?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Le0 posted:

Okay I'll try this I guess.
Otherwise how can I just download some ISO directly and pass them to Sickbeard to be placed correctly and renamed? Is there a special folder or a script to run?

Usually copying them into your completed movie folder works.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Most sites will provide you with newsnab API details so you can add your own. I'm not aware of an update to the defaults or the non-newsnab site list.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I still use Headphones. It's pretty bad at grabbing all album info, but it usually works once it finds the album info.

As I understand it, the music service it uses let's you set up your own mirror but you have to run it's VM... The whole VM...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm finding news demon to be fine for most things honestly. I'd be tempted to keep the $5/MO deal as it's the best I've seen, even above blocks. Perhaps see if you can find a non-highwinds provider with a low rate and use 2 plans instead of a plan + block account?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hogburto posted:

:doh: Can't believe myself.

Honestly, at $5/mo... Keep. News demon no matter what you do. If you see a cracking deal on another provider, get it and run both for a bit to see if you like it. I switched from super news to news demon, and find it better.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If using Torrent option in SB, I would say seeding stopping is something your torrent client can handle for you.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Honestly I'd rather pay a few bucks than deal with "you must seed to eighteen times what you download or we'll put you on warning, then if it's not 30‰ improved in 12 day, we will initiate formal correction procedures through our council of elders, and if it's not changed before the new Moon, you will be excommunicated"

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

JoeMB posted:

I love the screenshots for NZBGet showing what they're downloading.

Like they would be downloading anything else. What a ridiculous idea.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wolrah posted:

If you're using *nix you should as well. Between LVM, Greyhole, ZFS, and Btrfs there are enough choices that one or more of them probably can fit your needs.

aufs did the trick for me. Lightning quick, however, does fill a drive occasionally.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sedative posted:

If anyone had one of those really cheap Black Friday deals from NewsDemon you should login to your account and see if you're still active. They say they lost some billing data and there's nothing you can do except sign back up at the normal price. They never sent an email or alerted anyone in any way.

Well... that poo poo just made me go off to get a $15 per two months Astraweb account. It's easier to find Highwinds Block Accounts than it is Astraweb ones so I'd rather pay $2.50/mo extra for my primary and have a wider pick of block accounts.

BTW, this list of providers was a good "at a glance" for unlimited accounts if anyone was looking: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2gqsln/newsdemon_still_losing_accounts_a_week_later_wow/ckn22xx

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

I only use Couch Potato for downloading metadata so each movie directory has it in place regardless of what media center software is used in the future.
Is there a better alternative to Couch Potato for this?

FileBot appears to do that
http://www.filebot.net/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

MrEnigma posted:

My NewsDemon (Black Friday $5/month) account was wrong as well. The funny thing about this, is that I made sure to cancel my account so they couldn't ever reactivate it somehow, when I was doing that they said, WAIT DO NOT LEAVE YOU HAVE A 70.65% DISCOUNT AND YOU WILL LOSE IT.

I even tried the link that said "have a month for $5 before reverting to your normal rate"... That did not reactivate my account (at all), so I canceled.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

visuvius posted:

Yes same here. I'm on a $7 a month unlimited plan which seems pretty sweet but then half the poo poo I try to pull doesn't download. I need a good solid backup source which might just become my main source.

Astraweb has been consistent for me in the week I've used it, and it's $15/2months so about the same price.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So I just spent a couple of days struggling with virtualizing my Plex Server, File Server and Downloaders. Now they are on 3 separate guest OSes, mainly so I can play with one without affecting the others (exception of course being the file server). But that's not the point.

Firstly, here is a good guide to NZBGet setup on Ubuntu (says server but will work on any variant).

The main tip I have for new NZBGet users is to use absolute paths in your configuration It was giving me absolute hell until I did so. This is especially true if you find you can download NZBs you manually add which do not have a category, but ones added searching clients (which typically do use categories) won't unpack, saying something like Cannot Create directory in the logs.

Two questions I still have:

1. Anyone know if I can use the terminal version of NZBget when it's started in daemon mode (e.g. by my init script). I've been reading the command line reference, but this is the result of the connect and list commands:
code:
h@machine:~$ nzbget -C

h@machine:~$ nzbget -L
Request sent
No response or invalid response (timeout, not nzbget-server or wrong nzbget-server version)
h@machine:~$
2. Any idea why, when I'm out of the house, if I access the nzbget web interface by creating an SSH tunnel to port 6789 then connecting remotely, it frequently fails to load, and if it does load, doesn't appear to load the CSS stylesheet with it?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For bitcoin buyers, what's wrong with Coinbase? Alternatively, hit up the bitcoin ATM

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone else running NZBDrone on Ubuntu 14.04 wake up to find that it had uninstalled itself this morning? My /opt/NZBDrone directory was empty save for a few files named update and ui (or something to that effect)?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Syano posted:

Anyone got any unbeatable black friday deals they have seen on block accounts or what not?

I picked up a 100gb blocknews account for $8.99 last night: http://blocknews.net/holidays/

Edit: also, NZB 360 is 50% off: http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2nn3cj/nzb_360_50_off_black_friday_sale_24h_only/

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 28, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lord Windy posted:

I'll chalk this one up to my own idiocy and use google after my account runs out.

Watching this has been so painful that I must direct you to the OP's guide to the more common use of Usenet in the modern era. Follow it from start to finish so at least you get something out of that account.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You all know about the $30 for 1.1TB blocks from NewsgroupDirect right?
http://newsgroupdirect.com/deal-of-the-week

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

dzarc posted:

Is astraweb down for anyone else?

Been horendously slow for me all day...

Edit 1 day later: seems fine now

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 3, 2015

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does NZBGet not have a way to see how much your news servers have been used recently like in SABnzbd? It was useful knowing if my backup server has been (or was currently) getting hammered.

It has server stats in the servers settings page

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
They are a shady bunch. I'd contest the charge with your bank, cancel your account and spring the extra $2.50/mo for Astraweb

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Squack McQuack posted:

Thanks, I will cancel my account. Which Astraweb plan are you talking about? This one?

Yup.

I've also noticed a generally higher completion rate, especially on recent popular items. But as this thread will show, that's subjective.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Gromit posted:

I'm currently with Supernews for $10/month. Is Astraweb at $7.50/month like Squack has posted going to be any different to me? I expect not, and would be happy to save a few bucks each month. But if Astra sees a lot more DMCA takedowns or anything I'll stick where I am.

I did a similar move (but went to newsdemon before astraweb) and think that I see less dmca take downs now. In general, Astraweb has a reputation of being the least susceptible out of the large providers (for comparison, supernews is a highwinds reseller and highwinds appears to get a lot of dcma take downs and acts very quickly)

But this is very subjective. No two experiences are alike. The best option is still an unlimited plan with a block on another provider. My block is with blocknews

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Stealthgerbil posted:

I set up an indexer, anyone interested in testing it? I am not sure if its good or even works.

Sure.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Signed up an added to Sonarr/CP

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I rather think that $5 would be worth risking it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone having issues signing into their free xs Usenet accounts to reactivate it? Old pass won't work and password recovery isn't either.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Plex, even if you're just watching once and deleting. I do that routinely with my laptop when I'm away from my home server.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm happy with Astra and XSNews free... I get the odd incomplete but not many.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

tonic posted:

Is there a reason to use multiple indexers? Been relying on dog, but I've noticed Sonarr has been grabbing a lot via bittorrent recently (even with 30 min delay on torrents).

How many usenet indexers do you guys rock?

Three currently. Ideally ones with different filtering and groups.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tantalus posted:

I've started collecting indexers like they're Pokemon. I only have vip on a few, but the others are there in case I'm having trouble finding something.

This is the correct thing to do.

VIP on at least one and collect as many as you can. Keep the accounts active. If one falls, move to others.

And you may as well load them into Sonarr/CP, use the API hits you have for free.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dodoman posted:

Well astraweb finally deactivated my account :rip:

Giganews, Highwind or Cheapnews?

Honestly, I'd say just start paying Astraweb.

But I liked my Highwinds reseller (Super news) before I switched (to News Demon, who were shady, so I went to Astra)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

IIRC, they claimed that they lost all the billing info for certain customers (who just happened to be power users on the cheap Black Friday plan) and kicked them off their plans.

Exactly that. I was on a $5/mo plan when they had a mysterious "hard disk failure that affected some customers, resulting in their info being lost". Your only option? Sign up on a more expensive plan (around $8-9/mo). They were quickly detected doing this, I doubt they got the business they were expecting.

Anyway, I won't touch them again.