Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

Enforcing standards is a good thing. There's a reason we all look for those releases, and I'm glad that there are people out there willing to do the hard work for me.

Yeah, dealing with occasional scene bullshit isn't too bad when you consider that the alternative is going the route of these ultra-sperg anime groups who love to use bleeding edge features and codecs that completely break all hardware decoders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EC posted:

Or just setup QoS on your router, and never worry about it again. It's a neat idea, but I'm not sure how useful it is now that QoS is so easy.

I really need to set it up on my router at some point...

QoS still needs to know just how much bandwith you have available so that it knows when to start throttling things.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

If I want to share an AstraWeb account with 2 friends what are the restrictions? Can we only download one person at a time?

I think this is safe to post as it is pretty similar to the Amazon share.

e: in addition... my SABnzbd is showing 0gb free so unable to complete but 50+gb free for temp. Is that a current bug? Because it is still downloading...

With the unlimited plans an account can only connect from 1 IP address at a time. It sounds like the metered plans don't have this restriction though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Loucks posted:

Has anyone else on astraweb had issues with their credit card being compromised? My card has been stolen and used fraudulently three times in the past couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Also, my spouse inexplicably thinks it's astraweb and some testimony to the contrary would be helpful.

Are you using the 2CO payment gateway? Apparently some card processors auto-flag it fraudulent, especially now that they moved offshore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Same here.

That said, I am tempted to try out XSUsenet's paid offering, since they're European only (and thus, I hope, less likely to comply with takedown notices).

Their prices seem good too. A 1 year account is €60 which converts to about $80 while most other providers are in the $95+ range. The only catch is that their retention is 'only' 900 days while the other providers are in the 1500+ range now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Randuin posted:

After NZBMatrix crapped out are people seriously just setting up their own newznab servers? Is there no more definitive indexing site?

There are a few out there, but most (all?) of the big ones are currently closed to new members to avoid being zerg-rushed by NZBMatrix refugees.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bloodynose posted:

My Astra account got dropped since I was using that payment method they dropped, so I'm recosidering who I do my monthly service through. I've got a block account on Readnews through BlockNews, and some blocks on Tweaknews. Should I go with Supernews's (Giganews) $10/mo deal, UsenetServer's (Highwinds) $10/mo deal, or just go back to Astra's $11/mo deal

Right now I'm leaning towards Supernews, but if anyone who has checked out multiple of them thinks that Astra or UsenetServer is definitively better, I'd like to know.

UsenetServer, AstraWeb and SuperNews have $95, $96 and $99 per-year deals respectively. Going with a month-to-month payment plan seems like a waste of money.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fivre posted:

Is it possible to find older/more obscure stuff with fancier, more desirable indexers and more expensive providers, or am I just SOL for anything more than a month or so old? Like, early 2000s Russian Linux ISOs, are those basically hopeless?

Even the best providers only have binary retention going back 4-5 years at most.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sunblood posted:

Is the filename really loving huge? Windows can't save a file if the full path, including D:\Folder\whatever, is more than a certain number of characters. 260 if I remember correctly.

Technically Windows can have paths up to 32767 characters long when using the the Unicode file functions, but a lot of software won't work with these really long paths, like explorer.exe.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hitchensgoespop posted:

Anyone on here use Astraweb?

Ive been getting a HUGE bunch of failed files lately, at the moment ive got stuff that sickbeard is picking up pretty much every night and im getting fails almost daily.

If you are using the US server, try the EU server and vice-verse. Sometimes I will get lots of failed articles on one while the other works fine for whatever reason.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lord Windy posted:

How are you supposed to use it?

If you have to ask, then you don't need an Astraweb account.

Google Groups will let you read and respond to text Usenet discussions for free.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lordy posted:

The most amusing part is that even after this there are people buying 5 year plans oh and all the posts of them still trying to find a better method and maybe they are going to grandfather all plans after all because they aren't sure yet what they're going to do.

I've got 280 days, so I can wait until things shake out before figuring out what to do. Time to go through my email and see if the other indexers I signed up for are still around...

UndyingShadow posted:

All for the low low price of $25 a year because you have to order a t-shirt from some weird loving 3rd party processor. This is just like every other money grab before an indexer closes shop.

Still better than the period where they only took bitcoin.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Now they are saying that legacy users will be downgraded to "lite" accounts. Browsing and 25 API hits per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Stop saying that, they might notice!

(I haven't paid for Astraweb in like 4 years)

They caught up to a lot of people who went years without being billed after they became just another Highwinds reseller earlier this year. I think I had something like 5 or 6 years of free service before they kicked me off.