Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Colostomy Bag posted:

And don't discount Astraweb @ $96 a year...especially when they can't figure out how to rebill you or turn your account off. :v:

I did wonder why my astraweb account still works give I haven't seen a charge for it on my card for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It needs to be https, I think it defaults to trying http

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The_Franz posted:

They caught up to a lot of people who went years without being billed after they became just another Highwinds reseller earlier this year. I think I had something like 5 or 6 years of free service before they kicked me off.

Mine just stopped working this week :(

Either it was a block account that ran out or they read this thread

Edit: yeah it was a 1tb block that finally ran out.

Any good specials going around for block accounts right now to supplement supernews/blocknews?

norp fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 4, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It definitely used to work, probably doing screen scraping and the website it's using has changed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Is it actually stereo or just Dolby+? I had a Dolby+ rip come down recently and noticed that Kodi had a new setting to enable Dolby+ passthrough that wasn't there a few months ago, it had defaulted to off and caused Kodi to do a stereo downmix.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Did you set your watch folder to the same folder as your library? that causes symptoms like you've described.

I have episodes where half of the episodes for a show are in"Season 06" and half are in "Season 6" and sonarr doesn't try to fix it up. I really should make it do a rename on them but Kodi doesn't really care so I haven't bothered.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Radarr has support for filename based custom formats, but it looks like that option doesn't exist in sonarr (yet?)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Or at least mention the specific thing they are mad about...

My best guess is the redirdect vs proxy on the nzb link

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I assume they are just annoyed about people being able to use hydra for account sharing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

sedative posted:

Yeah sorry, that's why I edited it out. I signed up for a $1 block and it's not working. The password for the site isn't the same as the password for the news server, but they don't tell you that password anywhere. They seem to have jumped the gun a bit on their grand opening.

Does raising a support ticket work to get hold of that password?

I signed up his morning and suffered the same issue, the email they send doesn't actually list the login details and I can't see it anywhere on the site.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Another fun fact, their password reset functionality is broken too.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, I've messed up my site login password and can't log in at all.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Fwiw I've barely used any block data and had much better completion since moving to newsgroup ninja

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Even if you don't get premium it's worth hanging onto a free account in case your primary indexer folds up
If you use nzbhydra you can just set the api limits and itll just get used a couple of times a day

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'm not sure why the clients default to http, surely there are no providers that don't offer SSL and even the most underpowered NAS hardware should be able to handle it without slowdown

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Last I checked nzb.su has no API at all without VIP & it's about $10/year.
They also take credit card (through a real processor) as well as Bitcoin so you don't have to deal with that bullshit.

I've been using them for a long time but just using the 10 free api hits on tabula Rasa has increased my backfill quite significantly, so I'm probably going to move elsewhere when my VIP expires next

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

sedative posted:

You can also help yourself a little bit by adding the individual servers for a provider. For example with newshosting you could have news-us.newshosting.com as priority 0, news-nl as 1 and news-de as 2. You won't usually find full posts that are missing from US but available on NL or DE, but they'll sometimes have an article or two that aren't available on your main server. It might save you a few seconds not having to repair a download.

Note that if you do this be careful about setting connection limits lower than their limits, the connection count on the provider can lag slightly between regions and you can get errors if you go too close to the limit.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah I moved to jails when I had trouble with them all needing different versions of python

Also it meant I could more easily roll back changes and upgrades with zfs snapshots

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Failing that you can use a tool like https://mkvtoolnix.download/

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You should probably work out if you really need unlimited first

If you are downloading less than a TB per month you are probably better off buying blocks

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

25 hits get killed pretty quick in sonarr/radarr, but if you are using nzbhydra you can add all the free accounts and it'll handle turning them off when the api limits are hit.

If you have a decent number of shows or movies being searched you probably need at least one free indexer

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

All of my jails live on the zpool with the episodes Linux isos

If I lose that then I'm starting from scratch anyway

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I assume you have tried tweaking your connection limit? Some providers are much faster if you limit them a bit.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

cr0y posted:

There is a sweet spot when it comes to connections and it depends on your line speed. Throw a big file in your queue and go plus or minus a few connections to see where you max out at.

Ive found that some providers max out my 50mbit at 10 connections and others at 20.
I think it depends on how long it takes for the teardown/setup of each one

Each article basically has a bit of overhead that doesn't use much traffic so you want a bunch of extra connections running while that's happening, but too many will start oversaturating your link (or stressing your computer) and reducing overall speed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

cr0y posted:

Fun fact: If you have a super fast internet connection and use direct download in sabnzbd and are using an external USB drive sabnzbds cache will fill up and your speed will go to poo poo because the entire thing can't keep up due to the additional disk access direct unpack causes. You can probably remedy this by having your incomplete folder on an SSD but I don't have the space on my little intel NUC i am using for my home theater setup :(

Turn off direct unpack?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Heners_UK posted:

Worth every penny at full price.

I wish it were a full purchase in the store so it could be shared by my wife

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You can make yourself a new custom category with the hvec keyword and rank it higher than your other categories

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Good excuse to switch to nzbget too

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

On Unix file systems you need execute to list a directory, been a decade since I used osx but I assume it's similar.

That would definitely be the issue causing this on freenas

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

cr0y posted:

Confirming I can consistently get 100.0MB/s on NewsDemon with gig FiOS. Oddly if I grab an older post it's a lot slower, I am assuming some sort of storage tiering is being done on usenet providers where they "archive" older stuff to slower storage.

Most providers with huge retention are "hybrid" where they have x days of their own retention and anything older they transparently proxy through to an upstream provider/backbone.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Did you hit deny to any firewall notices that popped up?
Did you install it as a service and it's running as a credential that doesn't have network access?
Do you have any nonstandard firewall running?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Oldstench posted:

So, restarting the PC fixed the Radarr problem. I restarted the service about 20 times, but I guess the computer just needed to think about what it had done before it started working.

That's good because normally those questions are about the only thing that can go wrong

Accidentally setting a service as "system" rather than network service has wasted many hours of my dev time over the years

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Drives in windows can be mounted under a user session, they won't then be visible to windows services.

It's possible that's how drive pool works - it's the exact same reason that mounted network shares don't work.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Is free-usenet the one that is looked down on for reselling a whole bunch of other providers retail unlimited accounts?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

If you just set 1080p to anything under 18gb you'll never get a remux

You just have to be careful because I find that multi language dts-ma rips can still be quite large.

Edit: have you checked your quality profiles? The default has 1080p cutoff at bluray-1080 but allows remux 1080p

norp fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 21, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Remux is the ONLY way to roll :c00lbutt:

Please don't kinkshame in this thread

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Do you have your API limits set up right on the indexers in hydra?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Matt Zerella posted:

Never update dockers in container. They're ephemeral. You can probably automate the update process with a cron job, or a script.

There is a dockerised tool for this called watchtower.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I get free azure credits so I just wrote a 10 line script using az cli that updates my DNS using the rest API.

Even if I didn't get free credits I think it costs me like A$0.80/month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's a ton of docker containers to do this.

I don't use docker, mainly because my sever is freebsd and switching my over to Linux or setting everything up in a docker-machine VM is way more effort than maintaining my ezjail based setup.