Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've had really great luck with a local Newznab install. I went so far as to re-jigger my machine to dual boot my usual Win7 with Ubuntu, and followed this guide to getting everything set up. The key, really, is to drop the few bucks on the paid version of Newznab. The free version's regex pool is pitifully inadequate and will likely leave you crying over your bowl of Cheetos.

It does take some time to grab a couple months' worth of headers on a very select few groups, but thankfully I have neither bandwidth nor storage concerns to worry about. I've been able to keep up with the stuff I want with as little as 5 days worth of indexing, but I'm keen on building up a good repository to work with.

The downside...I speak neither Dutch nor German...yet. I may be fluent in both very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've had a pretty good local Newznab installation going for a while now, but I seem to be having problems with the blacklist. Newznab Plus "ships" with a default regex that's supposed to weed out non-English releases, but mine doesn't appear to be working at all. I've looked it over, ensured it's actually activated, but...nada. I still have a veritable cornucopia (I just like that phrase) of releases in languages that I neither speak nor will ever learn. Does anyone who's better at this than I am have any suggestions?

It's not the end of the world, but my database is getting kind of large-ish, and I know I could keep it from growing out of control if I could just keep the foreign language stuff out. Don't really want to build a dedicated server just to handle NN.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Aaargh. Suddenly my Sick Beard/SABnzbd post processing doesn't seem to work, and I can't figure out why. I just noticed it today when I checked in on my media machine. The last successful post-process happened on Nov 19. No recent changes have been made to the machine, barring today when I updated Sick Beard in hopes that it would fix itself. It did not. The computer is running Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (LEMP) and everything has been ticking along like clockwork for several weeks.

The "sabToSickBeard.py" script is failing with a block of pure Greek-to-me error gibberish. Sorry about the giant code block:

code:
500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 660, in respond
    response.body = self.handler()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/lib/encoding.py", line 193, in __call__
    self.body = self.oldhandler(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call__
    return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/webserve.py", line 1596, in processEpisode
    result = processTV.processDir(dir, nzbName)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/processTV.py", line 108, in processDir
    process_result = processor.process()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/postProcessor.py", line 858, in process
    notifiers.plex_notifier.update_library()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/notifiers/plex.py", line 167, in update_library
    xml_sections = minidom.parse(urllib.urlopen(url))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1920, in parse
    return expatbuilder.parse(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 928, in parse
    result = builder.parseFile(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 207, in parseFile
    parser.Parse(buffer, 0)
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 254
Attempts at manual post processing yield the same results. I also just noticed that trying to run the Plex media server update widget from inside Sick Beard fails the same way. I'm at a bit of a loss. On the surface it looks like a Python problem, but...I'm not a Linux pro by any means. Between my meager knowledge and Google I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting unfamiliar scenarios, but no amount of search engine fuckery has turned up a solution for me this time. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Things were going so well!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

evol262 posted:

It's hard to say without seeing your environment and your exact setup, but Expat is an XML parsing library.

Holy crap, that was a great explanation of things. Thanks! The whole error...ummm...tree? makes a whole lot more sense now.

I went in a slightly different direction for troubleshooting - I disabled the Plex notifier in SB and everything went right back to normal. I was able to manually post process my downloads folder and get all that stuff caught up without any issues, and SABnzbd is cheerily talking to SB again through the current queue.

For now I'll just leave it like that, since Plex will pick changes up on its own anyway. I'll try your suggestion for grabbing the offending URL when I've got a little more time to play with stuff.

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Is it possible, with any combination of any of these programs, to force a specific file quality/type? I try to stick with smaller file sizes, and would pay real money if I could tell my setup to look for anything labeled h.265 first before moving along to other files. I'm still using SAB/Sick Beard, because if it ain't broke, etc. I've come to the conclusion that the solution is either (a) so obvious that I'm going to feel stupid when someone tells me, or (b) isn't possible yet. I'd be happy to change software if necessary.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Ahhhh. It's readily available for a lot of stuff in torrent form, so I just assumed those same files would be on the newsgroups too. No big deal, just something I was curious about in the interest of maximizing storage. I appreciate the feedback!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Keito posted:

Try using the HEVC keyword instead.

Knyteguy posted:

hevc and x265 seem to be more common.

Spot on. Something in my brain was seeing h.265 when the stuff is actually labeled x265, with plenty of HEVC's as well. I've found the quality plenty acceptable, but most of my viewing is done in a VLC window on my second monitor in 720p... and frequently out of the corner of my eye while I'm working on something else.

It seems that a "preferred" function similar to CouchPotato's is in Sonarr's development plans. I'll keep an eye on that. This isn't a super high priority thing for me, just seems like an easy way to conserve drive space until I can expand my media server box a bit.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Laserface posted:

Anyone still use sickbeard??

I finally shitcanned Sickbeard just this morning and moved to Sonarr. It's way, way easier to set up than the last time I tried it, which was a really long time ago. The only thing I wasn't impressed by is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a bulk import option for existing series, but the fourth reply on this page has a command you can paste into the browser's developer console and it automagically clicks all the "add" buttons. Worked like a champ. It's also entirely possible that I didn't see the bulk add command if it exists, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

What I like so far is that it's already finding backlogged stuff that Sickbeard seems to have been ignoring forever. You also don't need to set up a post-processing script if you use SABnzbd - it literally "just works" after you plug in your SAB api info. I'm pretty pleased with how easy it was to get going and how well it seems to be working already.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

It didn't have any trouble finding all of my existing stuff when I pointed it at my shows directory, but I was left with a list of 80+ series that all had individual "Add" buttons next to them. Didn't seem to be a way to just "select all" from there, which is where that little developer command came in. In any case, it's all perfect now, so even if I went around it the long way it did the trick. :)

I also just watched it handle a failed download and I think I'm in love.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Are there any nZEDb installation guides that actually work? I've been trying to spin one up in an Ubuntu VM on and off for a couple of weeks, and no matter what OS version and guide I try to follow, I always end up running into a seemingly unsolvable problem. Googling for solutions generally leads me to other people asking the same questions with no working answers. I'm no Unix guru, but I've had Newznab up and running strong under both Ubuntu and Windows in the past, and I'd really like to try something similar again.

edit: Hell, never mind, I guess posting about it magically made it work. There's some fuckery about manually adding the time zone value into the database, and using nginx you have to edit some stuff in the php.ini files in both /etc/php/7.0/cli and /etc/php/7.0/fpm/, but it just pulled a couple of releases down on a quick test. Now I just have to re-learn everything about the configuration...

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 6, 2017

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

nZEDb is a free fork of newznab that pretty much covers all of nn's paid functions. I've just recently recommissioned an i3 machine that was sitting idle as a dedicated indexer, only 5 groups going back about 45 days at the moment, but it's doing a good job so far. I need to sit down and research some groups to expand it a bit.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Volguus posted:

By default the script sleeps for only 60 seconds but I assume that can be changed somewhere.

There are caveats with different tmux versions, some only work right with some scripts. The newest versions (2.3 and higher) only work in Complete Sequential mode. If you hadn't found it already, this page has the info you'll need to help you get it running. You'll probably also want to set up the PreDB/IRC scraper integration if you haven't, as well as pull the existing historical PreDB stuff:

code:
cd /var/www/nZEDb/cli

php data/predb_import_daily_batch.php 0 local true
For the Complete Sequential scripts, the sleep timer is in user_threaded.sh around line 30, "NZEDB_SLEEP_TIME":

code:
/var/www/nZEDb/misc/update/nix/screen/user_threaded.sh
I'm not sure how it works in other configurations, that's just how mine is set up. I assume yours would/should be the same if you've got a newer version of tmux.

If you want to get rid of all the hashed files that won't resolve into anything worthwhile, go to the Admin panel, Edit Site, and change "Misc->Other Retention Hours" and "Misc->Hashed Retention Hours" to something other than zero. I have mine set for an hour, and I don't think it's deleting anything I might actually want to keep at that interval. I also might be wrong. :) It's also a good idea to set your "Minimum File Size to Make a Release" to something like 2MB, just to keep it from saving all the tiny garbage files that will accumulate.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to set up the backfill in tmux so that it actually...backfills. I figured it'd be easy to set it up so it would, say, "backfill to <date>, pulling <n> headers per script cycle", but apparently I'm an idiot and can't make that happen.

I'm no expert at this by any means, but this is what's been working for me so far. I'd welcome any tips or corrections from someone who's got more experience.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Charter here in East Assbutt, Maine just switched over to 100/10 as the standard service tier at the beginning of the year, up from 60/5. That was a nice surprise. What'd be an even nicer surprise is if the two big spools of blue and orange something-or-other hanging from the pole at the end of my road right now are fiber lines, but that's probably a little too much to hope for in this area.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Open registration on an indexer right now - https://drunkenslug.com/register

An hour after I sent them a year's membership payment through PayPal, a fraudulent charge for 51.75 GBP (over $67 USD) went through my account for a web site called "startselect", which apparently sells gift cards and games and poo poo. I can't say for certain that the two events are directly related, but that's an awfully big coincidence. I've had that account since Paypal was brand new and never once have I had any fraudulent activity on it before today. Caveat Emptor.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I can't imagine they *wouldn't*... but I'm no expert. My PP password is a string of computer-generated gibberish that even I don't know without my password manager handy, so I doubt that was the attack vector.

After putting in disputes with both Paypal and my bank, I took a chance and emailed customer support at "startselect" to let them know about the fraud. They got back to me just now (very quickly) and said that they've not only blocked my information from being used on their site anymore, but they're also going to refund me directly within 3 business days. That was a little unexpected, but I imagine they probably see this a lot.

Anywho - it'll work out. I just wish I could pinpoint whether it's actually related to drunkenslug or not... I'd like to think not, it seems like a pretty well curated site that wouldn't try to pull that kind of thing, but I guess you never really know who's on the other end of the line. :)

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 22, 2018

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

edit: misread the question, nothing to see here.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Quote is also not edit, sonofa...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah, a lot of groups embed their name in the metadata's title field rather than the actual title of the show/movie, and VLC happily slaps that right up on the screen if you have the OSD enabled. Certainly none of my TV shows ever display "EVO" at the beginning of every episode. *cough* If you're in the mood, changing that info to the right stuff in an MKV file can be done easily with the Header Editor function in MKVToolnix. That program is also wonderful for re-re-muxing files to strip out any audio and subtitle tracks you might not want.