Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Does anyone have any information on nzpre? I'm having a rough time finding any information at all, and I'd like to be able to get that set up in my newznab server if at all possible, as I *think* it cuts down on the hashed stuff in the header pulls. I think? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

moron posted:

What OS are you using?

I'm using Ubuntu as my host OS, and installed Gnome Schedule to run my update scripts. It's just a GUI to crontab. I modified the newznab_screen_local.sh script to run through once rather than on a constant loop, then scheduled it to run a couple of times a day. It works well!

Is there a reason why you decided to do it this way instead of running in a constant loop in a screen?

I find that my database doesn't get poo poo on as hard when I'm updating it in little bites instead of large chunks, and it works better with sickbeard this way (because what it's expecting to be there actually is there instead of waiting on a DB to stop crunching away at releases for linux iso's).

...then again I'm running on a headless RHEL box that does my routing and my usenet indexing, so I don't need it for much else.

St. Blaize posted:

I am running a Ubuntu 12.04 headless server. Do you have any further info on modifying newznab_screen_local.sh?

He's modified the screen script to remove the looping aspect (the while loop) and then set it up as a cronjob. If your box is headless, any reason why you don't want to just let it run? Headers are headers and you're going to be pulling them one way or another, so it's not like you're going to be saving bandwidth doing it the way you want to do it.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 15, 2013

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

St. Blaize posted:

Well it is not a dedicated newznab box, I have sabnzbd and couch potato currently running as well and plan to use it as a file server. I am not sure what kind of issues I will run into if any while running all of this together. Does the newznab_screen_local.sh script use a lot of resources run default?

Edit:

Looks like I can use newznab_ubuntu.sh as an init script and change the interval to be more than every 10 minutes. Sound right? Avoid Cron and all that as well as using a script written for it.

Yeah, honestly the highest load I saw on my box ever was when I was backfilling with that giant nzb dump they give to donators.. I had to allocate more memory to the processes and everything.

I find if I keep the rotation to every 10 minutes or so it takes small bites of headers and the workload doesn't slow anything else down.

The only time you *may* see any system slowdown with the things you're running is during a par repair with SAB, every other time everything should run great together. Linux is made for multitasking crap like that so it tends to make things play pretty nice.

A bonus will be that your NN server will usually stay pretty current with posts as well, instead of running the crapshoot of takedowns and such when your sickbeard is trying to update your linux ISO's.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I'm starting to find out that once you get past a certain point it depends less on your connection speed/number of connections and more the quality of peering arrangement your ISP has with whatever news provider you're subscribing to, and how saturated your local node is.

Shaw, for instance, directly peers with Astraweb, but of course they'll never tell you that directly if you call them on the phone. I'm also running their 250mbit internet, and I've SEEN it max out, but only briefly and during extremely off-primetime hours. (I've got the higher speeds strictly for the upload)

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Gozinbulx posted:

No chance of drawing the ire of your ISP?

If you're super worried about it, get a provider with SSL and do it that way. Then all they know is that you're downloading from a usenet provider, but they don't know what. You can also further obfuscate it (and possibly even subvert some traffic shaping) by using a non standard port to connect (most providers will let you use 443)

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I need to actually read through and search newsgroup posts from the late 90s/early 2000s for a research project, and Google Groups's blog-style interface is killing me. Is there a good program that will download text posts in bulk and let me run date, keyword, and author searches?

You might have luck with forte free agent (free 30 day trial, otherwise 30 bucks)

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Has anyone got any news regarding nzb.su? Are they coming back or should I be shopping for a new indexer?

(Edit): Never mind, they're back now, possibly had some DDoS issues this morning or something causing them to refuse connections.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 31, 2016

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if I've been taking stupid pills lately or what, but I cannot seem to find what the current version of Sonaar is, and so I have no idea if mine has been updating itself or if I'm years behind. Does anybody know?

You can check your version under system -> updates.

My install is at version 2.0.0.4949 - Aug 12 2017, I'm not sure if that's the latest.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the off chance anyone else running Docker and runs into errors about no free space, I thought I'd link this post from the Linux thread that just solved my problem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&pagenumber=810#post512339070

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk. For some reason a Plex Docker image generated several million tiny files and exhausted my supply of inodes.

There's probably a good way to solve this longterm, but running

code:
sudo du  --inodes /var/lib/docker | sort -n
helped me find and delete the problem tmp directory.

I had a very severe inode exhaustion problem when I was using a deprecated filesystem overlay. When I upgraded docker to use overlay2 the problem never came up again. (the upgrade is unfortunately destructive, so back up/get your compose files updated). Before I upgraded, i was using devicemapper. That's not going to help with plex making millions of tiny files, but it might buy some more headroom.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Incessant Excess posted:

I've recently come across a movie with two separate types of releases and I'm wondering what to go with:

WEB-DL HDR 2160p x265 bitrate: 17.9 Mbps
BluRay 1080p AVC REMUX bitrate: 29.0 Mbps

My instinct is the WEB-DL since I was under the impression that x265 is a the more modern codec and thus it manages to get better results out of a lower bitrate. Is that actually true or should I go with the REMUX instead? My TV does support HDR.

So there's a lot of variables with an encode that will translate to video quality or not. If you're unlimited on bandwidth, why not download them both and see which one you like more?

That's a ton of bandwidth for a 1080p stream compared to just an average amount of bandwidth for a 4k stream, and (probably) barely enough for a 4k stream with a wider dynamic range.