Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Since people were discussing their HTPC boxes earlier...
Amazon (select it as seller) has the Antec Mini ITX Case ISK300-65 (with 65-watt power supply) for $32.99 and free shipping. Newegg specs here.
Limited to 2×2.5" (no 3.5") drives, the 5.25" is slim, and I don't see vesa mounting options, but I'm not bothered.

Edit: Well, that's over with.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

subx posted:

Is there something I'm missing? Because if it actually has all of the content, Newzbin has the best functionality of any Usenet search site.
You trust them enough to give them billing info?
They raised their limit past ~450 days?

Even back when Newzbin was quality, I had to go to their condensed view quite a bit. Then would check Binsearch, anyway.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 27, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

io_burn posted:

For what it's worth, even though Astraweb seems like a great deal, I had a bunch of random issues with articles missing. It wasn't a constant thing, but just enough to be annoying. YMMV.
Setting the US Astra server as a primary and EU Astra server as a back-up solved my Astraweb problems when I used them as my unlimited.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Marvel posted:

What do you use now? I'm using giganews which has been amazing but drat that Astraweb deal looks great. Will I regret it if I cancel my giganews unlimited subscription and spring for that 1 year Astraweb deal instead?
$5/month Newsdemon Unlimited (Black Friday), backed primarily by Binsearch, backed secondarily by Astraweb US and EU (because they cost a little more than Binsearch).
All different server families. Non-expiring blocks and I barely ever dip into them. They're just there to occasionally give up a segment so I can skip par work and go straight to unrar.
If I disable them and only use them if a retry comes up, they should last the next eternity or so. I already had the Binsearch block from when I was on Astra, so I just spent another $25 for the Astraweb server(s) redundancy since I was still gonna come out way ahead of $96/year and even more than that compared to the Kleverig plans which I had.
Getting everything I was getting before. Paying much less. YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Does it do password checking on nested archives?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
$50/1TB non-expiring at newsgroupdirect.com today.
Could be worth a look if your primary isn't in the Highwinds family. Check.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

skyydude posted:

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster)
^Newsreader.com
That's well over the speed I get over Comcast, but how much of that can you pull just using one service?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

skyydude posted:

Err, I posted that information above individually
Hahahah, I really have no excuse. Don't know how I skipped over all that. I guess I just like looking at pretty pictures.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I feel so obsolete in that my first thought was "does he really need higher speeds than that?"
Then again, I've got 12TB of usenet tucked away at this point and hardly ever check anything but new posts, so speed isn't a big concern for me anymore.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

amf5 posted:

Is there a way for something like this to be implemented in SABnzbd (that is, check something for completion before downloading)? Seems like it would solve a lot of problems.
inpheaux mentioned this, saying:

inpheaux posted:

We've been intermittently discussing building a pre-processing script that determines: 1) is a post passworded? 2) if not, is the post complete? 3) if not, is the post at least reparable?

Should be pretty easy. We've got stuff to detect passwording, and we've got stuff to detect completeness, and we've got stuff to detect reparability, we just don't have a thing that does ALL of these things and does them as a pre-processing script.

... but it should be doable!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

inpheaux posted:

You missed the update where I said that shypike is already working on implementing an optional pre-download check for 0.7.
I'm only one man. :(

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jarl posted:

Indexers confuse me. It would make sense if it was a part of every usenet server (i.e. indexing itself).
Usenet does not carry binary content by design and doing so is something more akin to a hack and repurposing of it.
As well, by blindly hosting data, it does not have the same liabilities it would if it knew exactly which content on its servers was illegal.
E: I'm late to the game.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

This is only tangentially related, but what the hell...I figure geeks will like this.

I made this visualization of the commit history to the sickbeard git repository:

http://bit.ly/nHLzD1
You're like a pusher just giving us one free taste. You told us we'd like it and suggested we try it, but you didn't tell us we'd need more.
Is this VIDI?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

YouTuber posted:

I'm new to this so I hope I'm not asking in the wrong spot.

When verifying is it common for SABnzbd to cause crippling hardlock style stutters? I figure a quad core CPU with 4gigs of ram should be more than enough to do whatever it's doing while verifying.

Also after it finishes crippling my ability to use the computer for 1-3 minutes depending on the file size some of these end up requiring repair. I click retry and I assume it tries to re download portions of it. Even then it still doesn't do jack poo poo so I was told to run a program called Quickpar to fix it. That doesn't do anything, so my question is. Is this particular file damaged with parts of it missing? No matter what wand I wave over it the download cannot be fixed because it doesn't have all the required parts?
See if you're running another somewhat disk-intensive program at the same time. Antivirus, malware scanner, optimizer, indexer, defragmenter, whatever... If you're running 2 real-time antivirus scanners, that would be it.
If you don't know what else is running, you can download Process Monitor, let it collect data while your hard drive is killing itself, stop it, then check out the file summary or the process activity summary (sorted by file events). It'll give you something to go on. Don't post the results here. We're not tech support.
The ideal solution is simply to have a separate hard drive for SAB to use for its temporary files, finished downloads, and post-processing.
...Or using ionice with Linux should do well. Windows 7 was supposed to have I/O priority handling upfront, but the closest I've seen to that being implemented is Process Lasso and I don't know if that's a placebo or not.

Outside of temporary server troubles and post-processing failing, you don't want to retry without giving a supplemental NZB where it asks. That means looking for an NZB or collection with identical files uploaded at a different time. If you do retry, run quickpar over your files, first, and delete the files it says has 0 or very few finished pieces.
Also, sometimes Quickpar will recognize misnamed files that the command line par2 checkers won't. Always good to see what it turns up. It rules.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 27, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Comcast has got to be throttling unencrypted NNTP as well. At least on my end. 1.5MB/s Encrypted over port 563 drops down to <300KB/s when I switch to unencrypted on port 119.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks everyone, I'll give all that a shot later on tonight. I think I'm missing 3 blocks, which doesn't seem like much, so I guess there's hope.
I would just put the filename (minus extension) in binsearch and probably find a match. Look for a matching number of archive files in the set. So much stuff gets re-uploaded.

If you could also find a matching seeded torrent, point it at the incomplete directory, hash check, and have it finish downloading just 1 file missing ~3 blocks (have it ignore all other files). Then, you're no longer short 3 repair blocks and can repair the job right away.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
This is why I like it better when we're just talking about Linux ISOs.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The Usenet Megathread: PYF pirated content preferences

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

who mentioned pirated content?
Pardon, "PYF preferences for content of ambiguous legality."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

inpheaux (The OP) posted:

Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
These rules keep the thread legit and keep the thread focused on usenet and usenet software.
Milky_Sauce, you can just edit out that example. Not a big deal.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 4, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I think your "temporary download folder" should have them all compressed such as:
D:\incomplete\Linux.distro.2012.01.08\_ADMIN_\Linux.distro.2012.01.08.nzb.gz
"download folder" \ job_name \ _ADMIN_ \ job_name.nzb.gz

If you want to finish a queue job already in progress on another machine, you should be able to move the whole directory over to the temporary download folder of the other SAB install as an orphaned job, then add it to the queue through Status > Queue Repair.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 8, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gromit posted:

Yep, there they are, thanks.
As a guy who's taught me a thing or two, you're especially welcome.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I completely support scene rules, but ending up with two 700mb files instead of one 1.4gb file because a couple people still burn things on CD-R is ridiculous.
Avidemux is really good for merging avi files (which is pretty much always the 700MB filetype). If there are subtitles, you'll want to take care of them first, though.

Unfortunately, I don't know any console apps for me to completely automate these steps.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Flashing Twelve posted:

Set it to 20 connections (astraweb max)
Now that you know that doesn't help, try what inpheaux said.
In that d/l range, 3-4 Astraweb connections should do just fine.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 8, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I had DSL and it was great, then I moved and it was terrible. Luckily, when it was crap I cancelled and paid nothing.
DSL speed declines with distance from the central office you connect to. If you're within a mile of a CO on DSLReports, you could get decent speeds going with that provider.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Still way better value over capped residential service with even just the starter package.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Why not just google for "12Mbps * 1 month" :v:
Because it's always time for LaTeX.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

PirateDentist posted:

I have a 40 watt HTPC and I have no lagging issues at all.It's a (true) dual core 1.6GHz Atom CPU with an nVidia ION GPU though, it offloads everything to the GPU so it sits there most of the time at about 5% use on either core while watching blu-ray rips.

I have my incomplete on a 2.5HDD and my complete folders on an USB External 2TB drive. It's smooth through the notifications of it starting to download something and when it's complete. I'm surprised at how smooth everything works considering how modest the specs are.
Are some of you guys handling SAB's parity and decompressing on spindle-based laptop drives?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

Could there be a way to only use a block server only when retrying something that fails from the main server?
On SABnzbd's server config page, uncheck Enable for all servers you don't want to use and save settings.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

Yes I know this. I meant automatically.
Sorry, I assumed your server page was correctly configured, so you must have been attempting to test something with the simple solution slipping your mind, but Mthrboard's interpretation clears things up.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

This is more general internet news, but people here probably want to know about this

http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-approaches.html
They have a few paragraphs of marketing expressions to prep the reader for their new plan.
250 GB soft limit with service termination for the top 1% of bandwidth hogs in congested areas being replaced with:
300 GB hard limit + $10/50GB after for all consumers.

E: It's just overselling more of their already over-sold service for your benefit, consumers.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 17, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I had always kept the number of server connections as low as I can while still getting top speed, but when sab is checking nzb parts it is 10 times faster to use as many server connections as possible. So is there any good reason not to max out the number of connections?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

wolrah posted:

I always thought it was the result of someone typoing 1080p in a script.

Why the hell would anyone call 1440x600 810p? That'd be 600p.
I was really thinking there were some bad typists out there.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 8, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I hope it has a thing where I can click on a finished download and open the corresponding folder.
I don't recall seeing that in the roadmap and I don't know how high of a priority a feature that doesn't use SABnzbd as a web service would be.

If you want it quick and dirty, I think you could try just sticking a link to "file://C:/Windows/explorer.exe $line.path" in history.tmpl and trusting yourself to know when you're in front of the right machine or not.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I really hope NZBMatrix isn't the one to watch because I paid for the registration forever ago and almost immediately decided I couldn't stand to look at it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MarshallX posted:

Can anyone tell me where the database file is with this new Couch Potato Server? I'm getting Database Locked errors and can't seem to figure out how to fix them:

sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (OperationalError) database is locked u'\nCREATE TABLE migrate_version (\n\trepository_id VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL, \n\trepository_path TEXT, \n\tversion INTEGER, \n\tPRIMARY KEY (repository_id)\n)\n\n' ()

This is a fresh install - first launch.
Try running it as administrator. Some programs that need to access the user profile directory seem to behave better when they're run from Program Files, too, even if they weren't installed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

modeski posted:

I've just got accounts at Supernews and NZBMatrix, and am currently adding shows in SickBeard. Only problem is the TVDB often times out and/or takes ages to find a show. Is this normal?
I went through the same thing. It'll seem to just work better at another time.
You could try closing Sickbeard and clearing the cache directory if you haven't already, though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The National Geographic channel has so many series with only 1 or 2 episodes to them. I wish TVDB would just stick them all under National Geographic Documentaries. Everything about the channel-x documentaries is a big clusterwhoops right now, besides anything under the belt of a long-running series like Horizon.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why even bother with Sick Beard for mini's and one-offs? Seems like more work adding them and deleting them than just getting them from NZBMatrix.
Manually post-processing what you already have to get the metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Haven't had any problems on the Windows binaries. Been running solid even when it was in beta.