Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

This is almost certainly a network question more than a Usenet question, but I'm hoping that there's an easy and obvious solution.

Linksys Wireless N router (E2500)
Wireless N USB adapter (2.4 GHz) on a desktop running SABnzbd (Windows 7)
Using astraweb, 12 connections

I'm getting slightly faster downloads compared to my old Linksys WRT54G, but downloads seem to completely overwhelm any other internet traffic. I can't get to Google -- nothing but DNS errors.

I don't think I used any prioritizing settings with my older router; can anyone think of any way to resolve this?

Have you tried throttling your downloads in SABnzbd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kri kri posted:

Didn't they just shut down usenet.com which wasn't an actual provider?

Don't forget Newzbin as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I moved my Couchpotato install from my old server to my new one and now it isn't marking things as "Downloaded", just "Snatched". It will send to Sabnzbd and download/sort just fine, but it's a pain going in an manually clicking "This downloaded correctly". Am I missing a setting?

Oh god am I getting senile and did I have to always do that? I have no idea anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm using mediadog on android which handles sab, sickbeard, couchpotato and now headphones. Its $2 on the play store but the dev offers a free apk on the sab or xbmc forums.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was using this list but I suggest removing "special". There were a couple older movies it wasn't picking up because they were re-released at special editions and CP ignored them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

blargle posted:

I remembered my ISP has a usenet server - it's slow and only has ~90 day retention, but good completion. I set it as the backup server in Sab and so far it has filled in all the gaps from recent Supernews posts. I'm guessing most people here with a large ISP can do the same.

Sweet, let me check my ISP ...

quote:

Note: As of November 15, 2012, Charter will no longer offer our Newsgroups service.

Goddamit. Oh well, they offered a whopping 4 days of retention!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YOu can either put it in your startup folder or create a task to start at login in task scheduler.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

1000GB block for $38

Highwinds reseller. I'm happy with them.

e: It's not advertised but it should be 1100GB since they give you 10% extra for downloading headers.

I'm not seeing this anymore, is the deal dead?

EDIT: Looks like it was a one day sale
http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/02/12/all-new-terabyte-tuesday/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 14, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

1000GB block for $38

Highwinds reseller. I'm happy with them.

e: It's not advertised but it should be 1100GB since they give you 10% extra for downloading headers.

Looks like they have another sale on 500gb and 2tb blocks.

500gb = $20

2tb = $70

plus the 10% header allowance.

http://newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Terabyte tuesday is back.
1.1TB for $38

http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NewgroupDirect Happy Hour going on for the next 2 hours.
250gb block (plus 25gb headers=275gb total) for only $10.

You can buy multiples so if you want 1.1TB for $40 buy it 4 times.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NewgroupDirect Terabyte Tuesday is back for today only.

1TB usenet block for $38.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

demonachizer posted:

Are they a reseller for the same company that supernews is?

Newsdemon is a Highwinds reseller, Supernews is Giganews so no.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NewgroupDirect Happy Hour going on for the next ~18 hours.

2tb block (plus 200gb headers=2.2TB total) for only $65.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Telex posted:

other than being faster (a non-issue for me since it's on a nas4free server sitting in the corner that only does usenet and holds my raid, basically) what's the advantages of Sonarr over Sickbeard?

It looks like to even give it a shot I have to upgrade my nas to get off FreeBSD 9.1 and get to 9.2 or beyond, so I'm not super thrilled about fixing what isn't broken unless there's a killer feature for doing it.

Sickbeard doesn't seem to have much activity anymore while Sonarr is getting regular updates. Also Sonarr has a mobile interface which I like.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My NZB.su and NZBGeek VIP subscriptions have expired so I'm just running on NZBS.org now. Which one would be the best to reactivate? NZBGeek is $18/2yr vs NZV.su $14/1yr but NZBgeek only takes Bitcoin now :/ NZB.su handles CC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nothing in particular, but I'd like to have a second indexer as a backup.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

What's the deal with nzb.su? I had an account there long ago, but I guess they deleted it or something and I don't see anywhere to re-register or anything.

I think you need invites now?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also if anyone has a basic NZBCat account they're offering VIP for $5 all week.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cage posted:

Surely theres a post somewhere in this thread where someone explained what cats, dogs, and tshirts are?

there's two indexers, dognzb and catznb.

dognzb has been around for a while and you can pay for vip, but you can't just pay for it (something to do with their processor), you have to buy a t-shirt instead. you can also buy the t-shirt and select the "don't send me a t-shirt" option.

catnzb is newer and it's name is a play off of dobnzb. they don't have a t-shirt option.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's a consequence of how the spectrum is assigned and used on the cable modem system. The upload stream is from 5-42mhz or thereabouts, but the download stream is from 88Mhz to 860Mhz. Uploads are on a rotating time window system, every X ms, you get Yms of uploading, no matter if you use it or not. This obviously limits exactly how much data you can upload, but based on the spectrum ratios, most people see a 8:1 to 15:1 download/upload ratio.

Cool.

Still should bump my upload tho

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a NewsDemon monthly account already, any way I can take advantage of this? Do I need to create a new account?

Edit: whatever, just made a new account under another email.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 17, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That was a two day only special

Newsgroup Ninja has a decent $6/mo plan
https://www.newsgroup.ninja/?promo=unlimitedsale

Newsdemon and Supernews both have good deals at $10/mo as well. Supplement with block accounts on different upstream providers for any of these.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

For the love of god mine would love me forever if you can find House Hunters Renovation.

I just checked, the most recent season is on all the major indexers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

That could be because I don't really sit around waiting for stuff. I mostly have no idea what my usenet programs are doing...things just show up in Kodi and I watch them (or not).

Ever since I connected Radarr to Trakt and told it to grab the top 25 most watched movies of the week, I haven't even manually added anything in months.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, I know, I was being a jerk there. Helpful hint time instead to make up for it.

In other news, holy poo poo Trakt lists in Radarr are literally the bestest things ever. You can enable them by going to Settings->Lists, then adding a Trakt List. Like magic tons of movies I wouldn't have thought to ever download decide to show up in my queue, some of which I genuinely want to actually watch, the rest of which will be worth checking out.

Fair warning, the first time the list hits it'll make Radarr positively poo poo itself as it adds and searches for 100 movies more or less simultaneously.

I change the limit to 25 because I started getting some really weird poo poo that would get popular for a week and then die

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

They did want to send out a tech to install a new modem and wouldn't let me order it without that. I'm sure they wanted to get me on their whole Charter-managed modem/router/wifi device, but gently caress that.

Charter will give you a straight Arris modem for free, no WiFi.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any recommendations for paid Indexers? I'm hoping to find something that offers API access, 4k content, won't steal my credit card number and will still be active two weeks from now.

Currently using NZBS.org and NZB.cat

I’ve paid for NZBcat and Drunken Slug. I used to have a paid NZBGeek account too but no longer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m on DrunkenSlug and NZBCat. I had geek for a while about radarr/sonarr wasn’t pulling anything from there anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

who should i give me $10 to, ds or omg? vote now or forever hold your peace

where's the free indexers at ;( ;( ;(

ds i'd say

you can still try ds free, you get 100 api hits and 5 downloads/day on the free tier.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the Trakt Trending Movies and set a threshold to like 80% or whatever to filter out most crud.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There are several phone apps that will let you do everything remotely (NZB360 is my favorite). You'd just have to forward ports on your router for whatever software you want to control (SAB, Sonarr, etc).

NZBClient on iOS as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newsdemon has a VPN service included too which is fast enough for occasional Public WiFi usage or what have you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you're using Sonarr/Radarr you'll probably be pinging it daily anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like DrunkenSlug. They're also doing a BF deal where if you pay for a year of VIP you get another 6mo free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nzbgeek is doing 25% off VIG subs too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Comic Book Guy in The Simpsons was written as a direct parody of alt.tv.simpsons

His catchphrase "Worst episode ever" was a direct rip from this comment on the episode "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie"
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/alt.tv.simpsons/Vtce4-s7lvA/PzGUg4DB10QJ

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 26, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One of the indexers I use takes payments via Amazon gift cards, the other on has a shell server hosting company you buy an account from.

If your indexer hasn’t been blacklisted by Paypal/Visa/Mastercard, they will eventually.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone still use the Completion.py script with nzbget anymore? Mine is throwing errors and the dev said he won't update it for python 3 but I don't know if it's even necessary anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hogofwar posted:

Thanks for this, seems cheaper than any other deal I can find right now.

FWIW I've been using NewsDemon as my primary for years and been very satisfied with it. Their included VPN is pretty slow but it works for public wifi and other occasional uses.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 22, 2020