Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is Exchange Online which as far as I can tell doesn't have that feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prent
Sep 18, 2003

The.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is Exchange Online which as far as I can tell doesn't have that feature

There's a table on this page which shows the default Roles in each Role Group: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/permissions-exo/permissions-exo?source=recommendations#role-groups

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That'll do it, thanks.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm sad I have to post in this thread again. It's been years.

Someone changed a transport rule in our Exchange Online environment. I want to find out who changed it and when. Is this possible?

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Dans Macabre posted:

I'm sad I have to post in this thread again. It's been years.

Someone changed a transport rule in our Exchange Online environment. I want to find out who changed it and when. Is this possible?

I am like 65% sure you can bring up EoL audit logs to see. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/exchange-auditing-reports/view-administrator-audit-log

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thank you.

Also I'm happy to report that this is now someone else's problem so I don't care anymore.

I still love / hate Exchange though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hate Exchange Online but then I have a reason to try and achieve something in Google Workspace and it's a nice reminder of how much worse things could be.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
It doesn't feel like my question warrants a new thread, and this looks at least somewhat related to my question.

I am looking to add my gmail account to a standalone email software (e.g. outlook).

I don't know much about the inner workings of email, other than there are 3 ways to "handle" emails (?) ("pop", "imap" and "exchange" )

I want to:
Receive email in both outlook and on the gmail web-client (so that downloading an email the first time in either client does not "steal" it from the other)
Having changes synched between the 2 (e.g. deleting an email in outlook deletes it on the web-client)
Have ALL current emails in my gmail inbox be downloaded to outlook when i first open it.

What features and settings in outlook do i need to accomplish this?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Imap.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-gmail-accounts-46274497-95ea-4a7d-9651-d246aa63eb5e

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 22, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Two part fun zone came across my plate last night as I was about to leave.

First part: We're using ClickDimensions for sending company wide e-mail blasts from the CEO, and when testing the newest message it worked in the first test (of 3 people) but failed for the next 2 test (the same 3 people). After spending about an hour looking around at what it might be (We recently ran into some issues with SPF records being off for the external marketing e-mails which is handled by yet another company, no idea why we have two different ones) we found that ONE IP address CD uses is flagged as spam, and if it's from most of their others it's fine (there's one other that was going to junk, but seems like that might've been personally set. They were also junk e-mails from other companies using CD with that one, so less worried about it). I don't see a good way inside of O365's Anti-spam policy to setup an exclusion with the rules: If it's from *@Contoso.com AND that exact IP address. I don't want to allow that IP address as bad actors also use CD (in fact looking at e-mails from that IP address we have other companies using CD to spam some users and that IP is flag correctly for those interactions). Is there some setup I am missing inside of O365 security or is this a case where the team that controls the CD configurations needs to tell CD to that using that IP when sending to my company.

Second part: CEO wants to instead be able to just send all to the whole company from Outlook. That's nice enough to work around, but a large number of employees don't have internal e-mail and their personal e-mail is all over the place. Sending e-mails internally where it never leaves our tenant should be able to avoid ignoring the number of messages sent from the account as flagging with too many sent messages, but adding in the external accounts is going to cause issues (let alone we wouldn't want to have that e-mail group listed in the Global Address Book. What's any amount of solution here, outside of telling the CEO he can't do a (honestly reasonable) request so he should stop asking. I like having a job.

Thanks for tips on either side!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A DL that only certain accounts can send to that then forwards the message to an external mailing list service on a domain that isn't the one you rely on for your main business, so that when a bunch of the delivery attempts fail after people write their personal email addresses down incorrectly it doesn't cause delivery issues for the rest of the company.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Thanks Ants posted:

A DL that only certain accounts can send to that then forwards the message to an external mailing list service on a domain that isn't the one you rely on for your main business, so that when a bunch of the delivery attempts fail after people write their personal email addresses down incorrectly it doesn't cause delivery issues for the rest of the company.

I guess at that point, should the DL just be a list we have setup on the vendor side and have the CEO send the e-mail to them and it forwards from there? I think that might be how the current setup works thinking about it, they make the e-mail, sends it out, and it sends to a set group. I guess having him just informed of that process isn't a big change. Might suck if they don't allow that and require you going via a certain web portal but at that point it's the vendor's issue. Thanks for the idea there!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Using an external bulk sender that is already having RBL problems still means those external people will have trouble receiving mail, even if you circumvent the problem with internal recipients.

The most reliable way to do this is likely with an internal DL that contains your internal people and mail contacts for the external users. You can hide the DL and contacts from the GAL if needed and sender restrict the DL so that only permitted people can send to it. What kind of problem would creating mail contacts create beyond the obvious object management headache?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Bandire posted:

Using an external bulk sender that is already having RBL problems still means those external people will have trouble receiving mail, even if you circumvent the problem with internal recipients.

The most reliable way to do this is likely with an internal DL that contains your internal people and mail contacts for the external users. You can hide the DL and contacts from the GAL if needed and sender restrict the DL so that only permitted people can send to it. What kind of problem would creating mail contacts create beyond the obvious object management headache?
We have just shy of 11k AD objects for users that don't have internal e-mails (some which might be termed users that were missed mind, but blue collar workers who aren't doing e-mails to/from the company) and adding that many e-mail contacts will be a mess. Plus we're going to run into send limits with that number for sure.

Also the AD objects are connected to Workday in some way, but none of the personal data (including personal contact e-mail) is synched and I know I personally wouldn't want to have that added in a way that others might be reaching out to me or connecting me to that e-mail address for other reasons.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

minusX posted:

We have just shy of 11k AD objects for users that don't have internal e-mails (some which might be termed users that were missed mind, but blue collar workers who aren't doing e-mails to/from the company) and adding that many e-mail contacts will be a mess. Plus we're going to run into send limits with that number for sure.

Also the AD objects are connected to Workday in some way, but none of the personal data (including personal contact e-mail) is synched and I know I personally wouldn't want to have that added in a way that others might be reaching out to me or connecting me to that e-mail address for other reasons.

Yeah that's a lot. Exchange only counts a DL as one recipient, but you may run in to issues with external email services. If ClickDimensions will let you create a DL on their side that you can email, you could create a local DL with your internal addresses plus a mail contact for that external DL and then sender restrict/hide both. That would get the CEO a single address to email.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

minusX posted:

First part: We're using ClickDimensions

Can/does ClickDimensions add any specific message headers you can whitelist?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Nice, thanks

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Bandire posted:

Yeah that's a lot. Exchange only counts a DL as one recipient, but you may run in to issues with external email services. If ClickDimensions will let you create a DL on their side that you can email, you could create a local DL with your internal addresses plus a mail contact for that external DL and then sender restrict/hide both. That would get the CEO a single address to email.
Apparently someone working in parallel was told this by Microsoft so that's likely what we'll mostly be doing. Also since we're pretty into the O365 sweet we learned from another coworker that Sharepoint Contact lists are a thing which is what we're going to be using for the external users to prevent needing to have the full list inside of the GAL contacts which solves a lot of that issue (also it can sync and not be something my team actively has to interact/maintain so that's awesome). Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

Mierdaan posted:

Oh that's a good idea as well, I don't have direct access to the ClickDimensions customer area (handled by the Marketing Team) but something to consider adding as an option with it.

Part of my issue is a lot of my engagement with Exchange was on prem Exchange management (with EAC), some light O356 EAC (as we became hybrid while still managed most of our users on prem) but most of the filtering and rules were Barracuda and IronPort. We've moved away from both of those in the last few months recently and I'm still learning the Security and Compliance areas of O365 admin center (and missing some of the needed access because a lot of that is so segmented and we don't know what people will need access to until it comes up yay). It's annoying that a lot of learning areas are polluted with information that isn't clear, not intended for admins (questions being asked by end users about errors and people being directed to reach out to their admins), or not saying what amount of access is going to be needed to make the changes outlined in the article. Anyone have a good recent resource they like to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Mierdaan posted:

That may not help with RBL'd MTA's though. In my experience (Mimecast most recently), an email coming from a blacklisted IP is rejected before any header data is accepted.