Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, good luck if you don't have your own server.

bumhats :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
If you're on hosted Exchange, you basically just have to call them up and ask what they can give you. They're probably not going to be very flexible because Exchange hosting is all about massive volume and not making a bunch of custom changes per customer. They're not going to want you calling them for support on your custom send / receive connectors. And if it's Office 365, well, enjoy Microsoft's lousy built in anti-spam stack.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Being on hosted doesn't make any difference. As long as you manage the DNS zones you can set your MX records to whatever 3rd party you like.

If you wanted to use forefront (or postini or mxlogic or mimecast or whatever), you would point your MX records to there, and then have your 3rd party forward the mail to your hosted exchange. Your hosted exchange isn't going to know any different.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Linux Nazi posted:

Being on hosted doesn't make any difference. As long as you manage the DNS zones you can set your MX records to whatever 3rd party you like.

If you wanted to use forefront (or postini or mxlogic or mimecast or whatever), you would point your MX records to there, and then have your 3rd party forward the mail to your hosted exchange. Your hosted exchange isn't going to know any different.
If your hosted provider doesn't have a way to turn off their own anti-spam/security measures then you probably won't like the results. All of a sudden your provider sees all of your email (including false negatives) coming from the same IP (or set of IPs), SPF will fail on all incoming messages too. You stand a good chance of blocking your 3rd party provider.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I've had nothing but negative experience with MX based filtering/products and hosted Exchange. Part of the reason I loving hate Hosted Exchange.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Briantist posted:

If your hosted provider doesn't have a way to turn off their own anti-spam/security measures then you probably won't like the results. All of a sudden your provider sees all of your email (including false negatives) coming from the same IP (or set of IPs), SPF will fail on all incoming messages too. You stand a good chance of blocking your 3rd party provider.

Isn't the solution to this a conversation with the Provider that goes "Whitelist this email, or we will find a provider that does". If you already control the MX, then they don't have much hold on you.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

KennyTheFish posted:

Isn't the solution to this a conversation with the Provider that goes "Whitelist this email, or we will find a provider that does". If you already control the MX, then they don't have much hold on you.

More specifically, whitelist the 3rd party's IPs, or turn off the hosted spam filtering entirely.

I can't think of any provider I've seen that forces you to use their anti-spam, and asking for mailflow control isn't exactly an exotic request.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Linux Nazi posted:

More specifically, whitelist the 3rd party's IPs, or turn off the hosted spam filtering entirely.

I can't think of any provider I've seen that forces you to use their anti-spam, and asking for mailflow control isn't exactly an exotic request.
Agreed, as long as the provider supports it. My point is that is that if you're trying to browbeat a provider who doesn't by threatening to cancel or whatever, it's likely to blow up in your face even if they agree. This goes for any hosted mail, not just exchange.

FWIW, it seems to be possible/supported in Office 365 with an inbound connector (I haven't tried this):
http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/148/t/167096.aspx

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mimecast specifically calls out Office 365 compatibility.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
the hosted server we have is exchange 2003 ...

we only have ten mailboxes too, so it's looking increasingly unlikely I guess.

So my next question would be: what solution would you guys suggest ? the tricky bit is more down to the fact the the people we use for hosting are personal friends of my boss (who founded and owns the company)

I'd like to just host our own exchange server, but the last time I looked into this (admittedly a number of years ago at a different company) it was a lot of work, to ensure as little downtime as possible (spare backup servers etc)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just move to Google Apps / Exchange Online so you can use a mail server that isn't 10 years old. You don't want to be hosting something yourself for 10 mailboxes.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Bob Morales posted:

Any suggestions on hosted spam filtering companies?

We've used MailMax and WebSense mail filtering. But the problem is that they silently drop false positives. That means we don't get a chance to whitelist or allow senders and usually don't know we are missing their messages for days or even weeks and this causes a bunch of problems.

What we'd really like it something with a feature that lets us see every single message blocked by the server and search through them, cases like these keep happening and it's biting us in the rear end when it's an important email.

We recently started using AppRiver, moving away from an on-site SonicWall E-Mail Security 300 who's yearly service renewal was more than our yearly cost with AppRiver will be, PLUS the added benefit of spooling our mail should our Exchange server be unavailable (our power grid sucks and we have outages a couple times a year).

I've been really happy with it so far. It catches spam much better than the E-Mail Sec box ever did.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MailMax is hosted and we want to stick with a hosted solution for the benefits it offers, the problem is we don't get the ability to review every piece of mail that gets rejected. Only the 'maybes'

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

spiny posted:

the tricky bit is more down to the fact the the people we use for hosting are personal friends of my boss (who founded and owns the company)

Write a simple memo to your boss how the spam service fits your buisness need better, and ask him to speak to his friends about allowing the IP, or offering a comparable service.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I've posted a few times in this thread about a migration that my company is going through. They want to make sure that all users are running cached mode in Outlook, and they've assigned this task to me. I have no way of knowing if users have turned off cached mode, but by default, it is on for all mailboxes that I've set up. Is there an easy way to do this? I've looked around and haven't found much other than being able to disable/enable the function entirely, which I don't want to do. I have PDQ Pro Inventory/Deploy if it helps.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You're going to need to dip into Group policy and enforce it, even on the ones you've already setup. Managing outlook should be done via GPOs, anyway.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah grab the admx for office 2010 / 2013 and it's a very obvious and easily configured item within there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I'm moving my mailboxes to a new server with a different name, do both servers need to be on the same rollup level? Or can I go with the newest one on the new server? I think I'm on 4 on the current one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You should be OK, although I try to keep all my Exchange servers at the same rollup/SP level just to avoid any potential problems. Last thing I want to do is have a horrible bug occur because of version mismatches in some stupid MAPI subsystem or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

You should be OK, although I try to keep all my Exchange servers at the same rollup/SP level just to avoid any potential problems. Last thing I want to do is have a horrible bug occur because of version mismatches in some stupid MAPI subsystem or something.

Yeah, that's true, and the new server is in Philly so it would be a bit of a pain to have to get down there if something locks up during the move (though Accela Express gets me there in 40 mins from NYC so its not that big of a deal)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pretty funny you should mention that, my firm is based outside of Philly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Pretty funny you should mention that, my firm is based outside of Philly.

We're some big rear end datacenter near the Drexler campus right up the street from the train station. It's super easy for me to get to. Still, I'd rather not make that trip if I don't to have to.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Haha, I think I know exactly where that is. Small world :downs:

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone running Office 365 and had any intermittent activesync issues with mobile phones? We are just finishing our move from on-prem 2010 to the cloud and started having some major problems where some users iphones/bb10s/androids are just suddenly not getting mail, even when manually synched. There are no errors, they just stop getting mail, you can only restore access by removing the account and re-adding it to the phone. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to why its happening and microsoft support has been abyssmal. We are actually about to start migrating back to on-premesis exchange box because its so bad.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

whaam posted:

There seems to be little rhyme or reason to why its happening and microsoft support has been abyssmal. We are actually about to start migrating back to on-premesis exchange box because its so bad.

Welcome to o365!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I keep hearing O365 horror stories - is it hugely less reliable than Google Apps or have I just been lucky with Apps giving me no real problems at all?

Who should I be looking at for a hosted Exchange provider?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Two recommendations - if you have enough users to justify the CAL, software, and hardware investment, go on-premise or rent a cabinet in a data center and keep your Exchange server(s) there.

If you're a smaller shop, I've had OK experience with Rackspace. Every cloud Exchange provider is going to have downtime or issues every now and then. Rackspace's support at least speaks English when I call, though.

My experience with Apps in the workplace is basically a horror story from an end-user perspective, especially if they are they type of user who lives in Outlook. Gmail is a gigantic step backwards from Outlook, and getting the two to play nice (Gmail + Outlook) is also nothing even close to what Exchange + Outlook offers.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
We have 1000 users on an activesync compatible 3rd party mail server that we host in-house but keep this small exchange box around for our corporate office users (about 30). We had the bright idea of migrating them to the cloud since our postini got end of life'd and we needed new spam protection anyway. Huge disaster, MS assigned a contractor to help with the migration and its been a struggle to get things moved in hybrid. None of the users who had been moved to hybrid could collaborate with those still on-premesis, so it was a juggling act of moving execs and their assistants in little packages. Weeks after getting everyone moved over many features still didn't work, and for the last 2 weeks several execs smartphones have been dropping their activesync connections randomly making them miss important emails. Pretty much our whole department is about to be fired if it doesn't stop and MS support hasn't given us any useful help. I'm migrating people back now starting with the CEO and working down...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah that sounds ridiculous. What is the third party server? Zimbra or whatever?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Yeah that sounds ridiculous. What is the third party server? Zimbra or whatever?

MDaemon. Old piece of software, RIM bought it awhile back but its pretty solid and they have gone from a POP only server in the beginning to full collaboration, IMAP and Activesynch with BES, its not too bad considering the price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do people gently caress up migrating and hosting Exchange email for 30 users?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bitch every once in a while, but overall we've been pretty happy with O365 to be honest. 3300 users on it, and once in a while something comes up, but it's not that bad.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I bitch every once in a while, but overall we've been pretty happy with O365 to be honest. 3300 users on it, and once in a while something comes up, but it's not that bad.

It seems like a decent service and if the issues we had with activesync vanished I think I'd be really happy. Having a strange issue that requires weeks of troubleshooting with India though and pisses off your execs just won't work. Even the worst in-house exchange problems can be solved in a day with a $300 call to actual legit MS support at least.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are you sure it is an activesync problem with o365 or the aforementioned old rear end third party MDaemon software? Co-existence with Exchange versions 2007+ is very finicky. Throw o365 in the mix and I feel bad for you, son.

e: - http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/exchange/simple-domain-sharing-for-smtp-email-addresses.aspx

Probably what you want, but still, bad situation to be in.

Also making sure your internal and external DNS, autodiscover, MAPI over HTTPS settings, and having your firewalls configured correctly is pretty important.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 2, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Google Apps is terrific. Outlook is a pos. It amazes me how many people, even techs, don't know this.

We are doing an O365 to premises migration for one client AND a premises to O365 migration for another.

Exchange sucks not matter how you slice it. I showed them a $20k savings going Google but they can't get off Bill Gates' dick.

I gave up trying to save them money. We make more in Exchange migrations anyway. I will be happy to migrate them back and forth until they get smart and dump exchange

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
:rolleyes:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Stugazi posted:

Google Apps is terrific. Outlook is a pos. It amazes me how many people, even techs, don't know this.

We are doing an O365 to premises migration for one client AND a premises to O365 migration for another.

Exchange sucks not matter how you slice it. I showed them a $20k savings going Google but they can't get off Bill Gates' dick.

I gave up trying to save them money. We make more in Exchange migrations anyway. I will be happy to migrate them back and forth until they get smart and dump exchange

great post thanks!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What kind of troubleshooting abilities do you get for either of Google Apps or O365? We're an on-prem Exchange shop so that's what I'm used to, but we have a small org (5 people) on Google Apps as well and when they tell me "hey, can you tell me why this email didn't hit my inbox" I just shrug and tell them no.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps has full message tracking. I've never had issues with finding 'lost' emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Caged posted:

Google Apps has full message tracking. I've never had issues with finding 'lost' emails.

I don't have an Email Log option on that left menu.