Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«92 »
Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

it's that time of year, stumbled upon that guy calling in that Outlook is really slow and has been for a while but he's hoping we can finally fix it. I'm the fourth person to get the ticket assigned ... lets... seee.... ah, the season for sharing the joy after all

User has had mailbox since start of employment - 1997.

There are 159922 unread items in his Inbox and he does not want to remove any. Or mark them read. The unread ones are unread for a reason. These include all messages ever placed in the Sent items box. And drafts. All folders in his mailbox are empty except the inbox, which we can't touch. New folders will throw him for a loop, how will he find anything? He know at what height important messages are on the scroll bar on his screen. Besides the search doesn't work. Poorly even when it was still Notes, probably. Please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

150k isn't inherently bad. I'm sure o365 with its generous storage policy will let you accumulate 3x as much. However, digital hoarding on a grand scale should be sent directly to HR and god willing you have a retention policy (with a email archiver) to beat this person with. Because if you do, and grandpa here with the first recorded e-mail ever, and litigation against the company finds out, it you'll be ffffuuuuccckkkeeed.

incoherent fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2018 around 00:48

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

150k UNREAD messages, that's a lot of unread messages. I've never directly admined exchange, but our architect used to handle our own and he mentioned before that a high amount of unread mail will cause outlook to be slow because it's constantly sending data to/from the exchange server.

Maybe something has changed, this was 5-6 years ago, but I doubt it.

*edit*
or he could have been loving with me so I'd mark all the messages read in outlook, I have something like 200K+ unread on the machine our one client gives us because I never open outlook, all the email gets forwarded by a transport rule to my internal address.

MF_James fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2018 around 00:42

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you're off cached mode, then yes it will do a lot of traffic.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The Unread items counter in particular has crashed Outlook in the past when it went beyond a certain number, I think. I always use 10.000 as a single good number to remember. Always keep <10.000 items in a folder, always use <10.000 folders in your mailbox. Easy and this user will have to deal with folders because this is going to kill his mailbox if he can't even open it before lunch. He's pretty good about cleaning things up, the entire mailbox is under 10 GB. There's just ... still >20 year old crap in there, migrated and migrated and migrated and migrated...
Our archiving appliance is slurping up all mail so even if we just threw his entire mailbox out there would still be a copy with the compliancy people that they'd keep for the amount of time that they do. I'm not worried except that this amount of digital hoarding might point to other issues than a slow computer but hey. Don't we all have a few

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

There are 159922 unread items in his Inbox

Print this out and give it to the user:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-or-folders-in

Take out a highlighter and highlight this part:
Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010:

100,000 items per folder

This person should use professional development funds to get training on email management good practice. The message you need to deliver is that this is Outlook behaving as designed and you cannot fix it.

Warning: the user may go and delete 59,923 items and then complain the issue didn't go away, so be prepared to for an excuse for that.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Print this out and give it to the user:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-or-folders-in

Take out a highlighter and highlight this part:
Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010:

100,000 items per folder

This person should use professional development funds to get training on email management good practice. The message you need to deliver is that this is Outlook behaving as designed and you cannot fix it.

Warning: the user may go and delete 59,923 items and then complain the issue didn't go away, so be prepared to for an excuse for that.

if they were that easy to deal with they wouldn’t have had this amount but thanks for the link. I was kind of looking for it, seen that before but couldn’t find it last week. I’ve since learned this is an ancient formerly important dude but he’s not really doing anything any more, he got demoted. Got demoted but kept an office and secretary to keep him from making a big fuss, she said to be gentle and maybe just ignore him until his retirement this summer lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

Old Binsby posted:

if they were that easy to deal with they wouldn’t have had this amount but thanks for the link. I was kind of looking for it, seen that before but couldn’t find it last week. I’ve since learned this is an ancient formerly important dude but he’s not really doing anything any more, he got demoted. Got demoted but kept an office and secretary to keep him from making a big fuss, she said to be gentle and maybe just ignore him until his retirement this summer lol

We had a guy like this, then did a mail migration, and whopse his continued access to company emails to arrange bridge was not considered

accidentally throw on a retention if he's not subject to hold

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."

Lipstick Apathy

Old Binsby posted:

it's that time of year, stumbled upon that guy calling in that Outlook is really slow and has been for a while but he's hoping we can finally fix it. I'm the fourth person to get the ticket assigned ... lets... seee.... ah, the season for sharing the joy after all

User has had mailbox since start of employment - 1997.

There are 159922 unread items in his Inbox and he does not want to remove any. Or mark them read. The unread ones are unread for a reason. These include all messages ever placed in the Sent items box. And drafts. All folders in his mailbox are empty except the inbox, which we can't touch. New folders will throw him for a loop, how will he find anything? He know at what height important messages are on the scroll bar on his screen. Besides the search doesn't work. Poorly even when it was still Notes, probably. Please advise

If you have Office 365, utilize archiving. Dump the oldest 75-100k messages into his archive, and have the rest go into his standard mailbox. Should clear up some of his performance issues.

But yeah, he needs to just let go of some of his old stuff....

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacke...ovider-vfemail/

I guess their disaster recovery process didnt work lol

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Yet another data point to justify self hosting dovecot for my enterprise

COOL CORN
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

So someone was working from home yesterday and kept trying to add contacts, but then they wouldn't be in his "all contacts" list. Today he gets to the office and they all show up.

What on earth can I do to troubleshoot ex post facto?

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002

Is there any way to have Exchange completely ignore the From: in an inbound message body and force it to use the real SMTP email address? Like either scrub any "from:" entries from a message body, or overwrite them with the SMTP From header:. Email spoofing is getting ridiculous, and it's bullshit that Outlook does so much to help out attackers by hiding the info the users really need to see. SPF is useless against these kind of spoofed messages since the attackers aren't forging From: in the actual headers, just the "friendly name."

Yeah this customer's lovely Barracuda spam appliance really should stop an email with a malicious attachment where the body is something like "Here's a totally legitimate invoice," but if Outlook would show the real sender's email, even the C-levels might realize it's a phishing message. I certainly can't train a 70 year old bank president to open a message and analyze the headers. Why isn't there a big outcry in the industry about the way email clients hide vital security information from users?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Because users can't be trusted to do anything with information.

Use DMARC. Use whatever Barracuda's version of Impersonation Protection is.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002

Is DMARC kinda like spf where it's ineffective if the sender doesn't have it implemented, or does it somehow cover senders that don't have a DKIM record? Do enough email hosts implement DMARC to where it's reasonable to ding their SCL score over not having it? The sender in question is using godaddy's email servers, apparently, and has an SPF record, but the spam senders are sending from other email addresses/servers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

It is like SPF where if the other side does not have it set up you cannot leverage it. That is where something like Mimecast's Impersonation Protection comes into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The barracuda analogs to Impersonation Protection are only available in the cloud services. If you have a box (like I do and Cheech Marinade) you can use the CPL layer, which is a free "light" cloud based scanning which gives you basic link protection. But to get the goodies of Impersonation protection you have to pay out for the cloud subscription

https://www.barracuda.com/products/sentinel

«92 »