Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

LoKout posted:

Accounts need to be in the GAL for them to show up in Exchange permissions. You either have an issue with their account or with the GAL generation that's causing them not to show up. If some show up and others do not, their account is likely to blame. If none show up, the GAL generation is likely failing. There might be events to look at depending on your logging level.

A common issue with Accounts is the "e-mail" field not matching the primary Exchange SMTP address. I usually copy/paste it from the Exchange address to the e-mail field to make sure - even if it looks exactly the same this will sometimes fix the problem.

I'm not familiar with Exchange 2010, unfortunately, so some of this may have changed, but the ideas are the same.

I believe that's still dead-on for 2010. I ran into some issues related to the GAL when I was migrating from 2003 a couple weeks ago (amongst some other truly hosed up stuff involving the hidden/buried permissions on actual AD objects that I have no idea how the previous IT person managed to gently caress up so badly).

2010 is nice. I can't wait to roll out the archiving, and OWA is amazingly usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Sounds like the autodiscover stuff got jacked up. Not uncommon, and I'm guessing it probably got missed in DNS and/or on the certificate. You can run the test-exchangeconnectivity test-outlookwebservices cmdlet to get some clues as to what's not quite right.

e: I'm tired.

Cavepimp fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2011

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days? We've been using Barracuda's hosted service but it's not very configurable/teachable and it's letting a lot more crap through than we'd like.

Spamtitan and Mimecast keep coming up in our research as pretty solid, and we'd like to stay with a hosted service if possible.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah, I have a pair of Watchguard firewalls but I don't hate myself enough to try and use their spam filtering.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Cavepimp posted:

What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days? We've been using Barracuda's hosted service but it's not very configurable/teachable and it's letting a lot more crap through than we'd like.

Spamtitan and Mimecast keep coming up in our research as pretty solid, and we'd like to stay with a hosted service if possible.

As much as I liked Mimecast, we ended up switching to SpamTitan yesterday and I like it so far. It might not be the slickest, but it's light years ahead of the hosted Barracuda service that served me up this gem as a going away present.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Even they didn't think I should renew.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

JBark posted:

Are you using the hosted version of SpamTitan? If so, I wouldn't mind an update after a couple weeks to see how it's working out. I've been thinking of switching to them so I can finally get rid of our local MailMarhsal install (there's no way any spam filter is worse than this app), and they're at the top of my list.

The main reason they're at the top is that they actually have pricing on their site, unlike virtually every other hosted email filter. I don't want to email someone for a quote, just so they can spam me for eternity with a bunch of things I'm not interested in. Also like the fact it's just a flat rate per year based 50/100/250/etc users, instead of the annoying $/each user/month fee.

Yep, we're on the hosted dedicated appliance. I'll write up my impressions after a couple weeks, but so far so good.

I will say you can get a lot better deal going through sales. He was a bit obnoxious but I got a significant discount over the online price by being difficult right back at him.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

NoArmedMan posted:

Why did you switch? Just curious as I'm currently running a POC for our organisation with Mimecast (5000-6000 users globally) and it seems light years ahead of Symantec's offering. Wouldn't mind hearing some criticism of the product to save me potential headaches down the road.

We switched from Barracuda to SpamTitan. Mimecast was one of the others we were looking at, and it looks fantastic. I'm just in a budget-constrained environment that will likely want to do archiving in-house, so it didn't pencil out.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Just checking back in to give my mini-review of SpamTitan's hosted spam filtering appliance: overall, pretty good.

It's definitely effective, and light years ahead of what Barracuda was doing for us. The management interface isn't the worst thing I've ever used, but even after spending a decent amount of time in there the first couple weeks I found myself having to dig around to try and find things that weren't where they seemed like they should be. Most of them are initial setup items though, so it shouldn't be an ongoing hassle.

Users getting a daily email of what was blocked and allowing them to release false positives is a huge plus, and has saved me a lot of time.

The Outlook plugin is mostly useless. It only allows you to flag messages as spam/ham and nothing else, and pops up annoying dialog boxes after flagging and after successfully submitting, which seems excessive.

Aside from the sales guy continuing to ignore me after getting a signed agreement, I'm pretty happy. I'd give it a B, mainly because it's been so hands-off.

I'd switch to Mimecast if I could justify the additional cost or if the full blown package (with Archiving) made sense for us, but SpamTitan is solid for the money.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Just out of curiosity, what wasn't Barracuda doing that you wanted it to do? Per-user quarantine summaries are A Thing It Can Do, complete with Deliver|Whitelist|Delete|View links for each email in the quarantine.

Their hosted/cloud service is quite different than having an actual appliance. Maybe they ended up getting that working somewhere along the way, but the actual filtering went massively downhill about a year ago and that was the main issue we needed to get away from. It was letting a lot of obvious malicious stuff through.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I've got a (new) client that just got hosed by their previous outsourced IT and find themselves in a position where their Exchange server got fried and have no recent backups, so it looks like we're going to be trying to piece things together as best we can from .ost files.

Anyone have a good experience with an .ost to .pst converter? Any that would be recommended over the others for literally hundreds of mailboxes? I'm going to love these billable hours, but man...

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
That's a possibility, and the likely long-term answer, but I believe there are some details I'm not totally aware of yet and they've been sold on the .ost recovery option. I'll know more about the specifics tomorrow, but I believe someone already stood up a new Exchange server to get mail flowing and want to get things migrated back in before making major decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I don't personally have any experience with hosted Exchange. I'm used to managing on-prem servers due to concerns about having our data on our own systems, so I'd have the same reservations personally.

Then again, I've always made sure our backups were solid and our infrastructure wasn't as flimsy as these guys' is/was.