Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I got a little overzealous this morning and migrated four users for one of our customers who are planning on a hybrid environment, and I just about poo poo my pants when their on-prem accounts turned from User to Office 365. I thought I might have killed their email and they'd have to gently caress with Outlook server settings, but it just works and I couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

I got a little overzealous this morning and migrated four users for one of our customers who are planning on a hybrid environment, and I just about poo poo my pants when their on-prem accounts turned from User to Office 365. I thought I might have killed their email and they'd have to gently caress with Outlook server settings, but it just works and I couldn't be happier.
"Hey, this customer is turbo-sensitive about public folders, so make sure they get migrated into Office 365 extra perfectly."
Okay, deal.
"duhhhhh we created the public folder mailboxes manually and they're all in a subfolder and some might be named differently and i guess there's some duplicates, can you please set the permissions now thanks"
What

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Coredump posted:

I tried that. Problem is office 365 won't let you do that because the user is an AD user. Seems like it wants you to do it on an exchange server on premise but we don't have one, thus office 365.
Google suggests toggling the msExchHideFromAddressLists attribute in AD

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NT Plus posted:

Looks like this is the spot. So uhh...

I'm trying to set up email alerts in LanSweeper. We have an Exchange server of course. I just need to know where the heck to go to find this info.

I'm REALLY new here (to this field, really) and nobody's given me any access to this info on a sort of :smug: "Look it up yourself" basis.

I just need to know how to find the "From address" and uhh... what port I should be using. I'm trying "noreply@(our domain name).com" but that's not working.

I'm also not sure if I'm doing the User / Password right. I know the password is 100% correct however...

Sorry guys I'm useless.
Is noreply@domain.com a mailbox that uses the (your domain name?, which is in the screenshot)\Administrator account credentials? Does the Administrator account have its own mailbox? You shouldn't plug an Administrator username and password into that box. Make a LanSweeper service account mailbox, and give it access to send mail from noreply.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NT Plus posted:

It is but the error I'm getting says

"SMTP server connection test failed: Unable to connect to the remote server"

The redded out box is basically (server).(serverdomain).com

Noted. I'll hop over to that when I can get the Exchange server to even talk to Lansweeper.
Have you gone through these steps? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123686.aspx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Here's a dumb problem we have. In Outlook 2010 (with exchange 2003, if that matters), sometimes I get people complaining that they can't just type ahead with some people's first names and find them. It seems the reason is that in the auto-complete list, some addresses are stored as 'first last' <flast@company.com> while most are stored as first last <flast@company.com>

Note the difference in single quotes. That means I can't start typing their first name and have it show up, unless I type a single quote first. People claim this happens to them a few times a year and even to addresses that used to work correctly.

The solution is just to click the 'to' button, and add the person from the GAL. Doing that once will fix the issue for that contact, but of course a "temporary" fix isn't enough to satisfy people. I've been working on this system for a few years and have never seen it happen before, so I'm guessing some people are doing something differently, I just don't know what it is. Has anyone else experienced this?
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Ahh... why? That sounds beyond dumb.
Maybe they got a good deal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes absolutely, I was responding more to the "why would you do it". I thought it was pretty standard to have a junk mail folder that you would check in case something that was important was marked as spam but maybe not.

So what happens if an important email gets caught in the filter and marked as spam? Does it send it to another folder you can check?
Depending on how you set up your own rules (FYI: you get to set the rules up yourself) it gets
  • Quarantined, and you can recover it from The Cloud/your spam filter appliance if necessary
  • Flagged as spam but allowed in anyway, maybe with [SPAM] added to the title
  • Sent in a bulk digest at the end of the week/day/month to the user as described earlier
  • Deleted forever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | Select Name, @{n="Email Address";e={$_.EmailAddesses | ? %_ -like "SMTP:*}}} -ExpandProperty EmailAddresses | Select name, smtpaddress
Two different results, onprem works as intended, O365 smtpaddress is returning null :suicide:
That's going to be difficult if you're missing a double-quote and replaced it with an extra curly brace.

Will Styles posted:

In O365 the EmailAddresses property is just an array of strings, so there's no smtpaddress property to return. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to do what you want with select. You can use a for-each loop though to get basically the same info.

code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | % { $recipient = $_; $recipient.EmailAddresses | % { if ($_ -like "SMTP:*") { ($recipient.Name,$_.Substring(5,$_.length-5)) -join ',' } } }
You can also use -join "`t" for tabs instead of commas.
Check it out:
code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | Select-Object Name,@{N="EmailAddresses";E={$_.EmailAddresses -like "SMTP:*" -join "`t"}}

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Can't remember the PowerShell command but run the one that lists the autodiscover endpoints being returned.
I don't know the PowerShell one but there's the remote connectivity analyzer https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

If that doesn't show any .local domains you can also hold Ctrl and right-click the Outlook icon in the systray and run the email autoconfiguration tester from the client machine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

yeah it works 100% fine with brand new profile it's just the first time you run the old profile it does that.

I'll check rpcdiag on a another computer once I have access to one of those
If it's just the first time, then that's probably because autoconfigure always starts off with the last successful cached URL.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Please be aware that if you're going to use a third-party filter for inbound spam or viruses or whatever, make sure your Exchange Online server is set to Internal Relay instead of Authoritative.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We have a bunch of poo poo that is, like, sometimes a shared mailbox, and sometimes a mailbox at group@domain.com which does a redirect to a distribution list at group_DL@domain.com. Except the group_DL doesn't accept external mail, so guess what happens when we put group@domain.com on our marketing crap.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:wtc:

Please tell me you have a plan to clean that up? Cause I can't imagine supporting it is much fun.
I would very much like to clean up Exchange before we migrate to O365, which will have the added benefit of reducing mailbox licensing costs. But, I think my boss is going to say that if we are going to do that we should do it in conjunction with the migration, and it will be my job to convince him otherwise.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yeah except the exchange server is hosted and I want to drop that monthly cost.
Try clicking that link and you'll get to see some words that look like "Well if the following conditions apply you can request an Exchange Hybrid Server product key, with no additional costs"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

I'll try that first one and see what happens. For a test I made a brand new test account and emailed it, and it was emailed successfully. It seems to only be this user; this user was created roughly a week ago by someone else. I'll see if recreating their account works.
Their autocomplete is pointing to the wrong email address.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to export .psts using New-MailboxExportRequest, but it doesn't look like I can tell it to export mail before a certain date. For the following command, I just get a 265KB .pst with nothing but undeliverable messages in it:
code:
New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter {(Received -lt '01/01/2016')} -Mailbox mailuser -FilePath "\\server\share\test.pst" -Name "test"
I've tried to change the ContentFilter to {(Received -gt '01/01/2000') -and (Received -lt '01/01/2016')} and I've tried double quotes and -le and adding hour:minute:second and it doesn't want to work. Making it {(Received -gt '01/01/2016')} works fine, but how do I get the inverse? Is it even possible?

e: actually, it is working, and it's not pulling anything because I'm testing my own mailbox and I wasn't an employee here before 2016. mondays, am I right~

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

We have a bunch of poo poo that is, like, sometimes a shared mailbox, and sometimes a mailbox at group@domain.com which does a redirect to a distribution list at group_DL@domain.com. Except the group_DL doesn't accept external mail, so guess what happens when we put group@domain.com on our marketing crap.
It's two and a half months later, we're planning to do our Office 365 cutover migration next weekend, and my boss is looking at our bullshit forwarding rules, because he didn't want to deal with it over the past two and a half months. One of the ones he found was a mailbox that has a forwarding rule to a DL, of which it is also a member. If you thought that this might be because the forwarding rule was set to not keep a copy of the forwarded mail in their inbox, you would be wrong.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

With a worldwide outage for gmail (let alone gapps) it's a solid time to move.
There was literally one yesterday, too https://twitter.com/GoogleforWork/status/776079823773044736

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We just migrated to O365 and had Mimecast for journaling, but then my boss didn't like O365's threat protection/secure mail thing so we bought Mimecast inbound/outbound filtering + secure messaging and we'll be deploying it next weekend. We had an old Tumbleweed appliance for our Exchange server for secure mail, but it was never updated and I'm glad it's dead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know why Office 365 users would suddenly get the "your mailbox has been temporarily moved" error? Creating a new profile doesn't resolve it 100% of the time.

e: I did some more digging and I think it might be because we didn't remove the SCP from AD? Can I just remove our old on-prem Exchange servers using ADSI Edit? They're both in the CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=OrganizationName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local container, and they're both powered off.

ee: I guess Office 2016 installs registry settings to disable SCP lookup so that isn't it.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 4, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beefstorm posted:

I was banging my head against the wall for awhile with this. This was the solution for me at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/53vhwy/the_solution_to_weird_problem_windows_10/

If not that, try this. https://diagnostics.outlook.com/
ugh, reddit.

This is on Windows 7 and not Windows 10, but deleting old Outlook profiles seems like an incredibly bizarre solution. It's certainly worth a shot, and I think it might be happening after our users change their passwords.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beefstorm posted:

It was that or go with the support rep's suggestion, which was recreate the windows profile. :/ Luckily that worked.
Yeah, it did work. What a weird loving problem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

I switched from 2003 to O365 and now our copier won't scan to email. I set up the correct SMTP settings for 365, but it will only send to external addresses. Anything sent to internal domain addresses looks like it sends ok, but nothing shows up in the inbox. No trace in the 365 logs, either.
Nothing in the quarantine? Nothing in message trace? Nothing in the recipient's Clutter or Junk Mail folders? Is it using O365 credentials to send or is it using an IP whitelist relay?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Using 365 credentials and no, there is nothing in message trace or clutter or anything. At first I thought it was because this copier (ir3245) was too old and must not support tlp, but then it worked sending to an external address so I don't know wtf.

Also, when I had exchange running this morning, it would send to those mailboxes even though I had SMTP.outlook.com as the server.
If there's nothing in message trace then the printer is not sending to Office 365. If there is something in message trace, then it will tell you
1) whether it was delivered, or redirected, or bounced
2) if it got redirected to a folder that isn't the inbox

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

milk milk lemonade posted:

I should be getting wildcard ssl certs for autodiscover subdomains... right?

edit: and if this seems like I don't know poo poo about Exchange, it's because I don't. On premise Exchange servers are the stupidest loving things on God's green earth. Go to Office 365 you scrub rear end morons t:mad:
My boss was of the opinion that the mail server should have its own unique cert, but I'm not sure why that was and he wasn't able to explain why. Maybe Exchange puked on wildcard certs at some point? But certs are pretty cheap, so if you need a separate one for Exchange you can just buy one for mail.domain.com and then put autodiscoverdomain.com and casarray.domain.com and whatever else in the subject alternative name field.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My goal: to move all mailboxes to Exchange Online and have the users turn on the computer the next day and update automatically.

Is there any "Microsoft Way" to do profile migrations when moving from on-prem to o365? I know skykick and bittitan have tools. In the past I have used bittitan and I've also forced new profile creation via GPO.

I'm also trying to think if there's any reason to NOT create a new profile? The only thing I can think of is signature transfer, and we do our signatures centrally so that's not needed.
You could delete their old mail profile and force Outlook to run the new mail wizard at next logon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Context: We switched from Outlook 2010/Exchange 03 to O365/Office2016 this week.

In my outlook, I can look at "Suggested Contacts" and it has apparently every email I've ever sent/received from. A few hundred addresses. When I look at my boss's outlook, she has no suggested contacts, despite having 5 times the email history I have.

Is there anything I can do to force those suggested contacts to be created? I am needing to rebuild her autocomplete list (no I didn't save the nk2 file or whatever the Outlook 2010 equivalent is, and that was dumb). It's easy to add back in all staff from the GAL, but I'm trying to get everyone she's ever sent to as well. I figured the suggested contacts is probably the easiest way.
What's the indexing status?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If I wanted a query-based/dynamic distribution group, I'd need either an Exchange server or an Azure premium license, right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hey you guys! Moved an org to hybrid, all user mailboxes are on Exchange Online.

We have a signature management software on the on-prem server that needs to stamp every outgoing message. This is working great when sending to external addresses, but internal messages (365 to 365) are not stamped.

Is there a way, and is it advisable, to have messages go from Exchange Online mailbox, to the on-prem server to be stamped, and then back to Exchange Online mailbox? How do I achieve this?
In Exchange Online, set up an outbound connector that sends mail to external contracts through the on-prem server. You don't need to send it back to Exchange Online if you're in a hybrid environment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

No I want INTERNAL email (o365 to o365) stamped with signature.
Okay, set up an outbound connector in Exchange Online that routes all mail to internal domains through the on-prem server, then. Since it's a hybrid environment, your on-prem Exchange server will still make sure the mailbox is synced to Exchange Online, so you don't need to reroute the mail back out. When you set up the connector, you can tell it to use that connector on all of your internal domains, a list of domains you give it, or you can make a transport rule that has those domains in it (and/or any other criteria) that references the connector.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrMojok posted:

I have a sort of an odd question. I don't technically work at an MSP, but we might as well be one with the way things have gone for the last couple of years.

One of our client companies is changing their name. What they want, is that when the change goes into effect, which is soon, they want anyone who emails them at username@oldcompanyname.com to receive an auto-reply saying "We have changed our name! In future, please email me at username@NEWcompanyname.com rather than username@oldcompanyname.com. Thank you!"

I guess their thinking is, if enough of their contacts and consultants receive this often enough, it will annoy them to the point where they'll actually change their address books and email the new company email addresses. They are pretty firm on their desire for this, and the way things work here, if $ClientCompany wants something, they get it.

Currently each user's exchange account has username@oldcompany.com set as their primary/reply address, and then username@NEWcompanyaddress is in alias. On the day this change goes into effect, which is unfortunately very soon, I will switch the primary/reply to the @NEWcompanyname.com and keep the @oldcompanyname.com as an alias.

My first idea, since they only have about 15 employees, was to go at this from the client end. I created an email alias for my own account, went into OWA and looked at inbox rules. I could say IF email sent to address username@oldcompanyname.com, THEN do something. But the OWA options for what I could do were limited: move the msg to a folder, mark it with a category, delete it.

Next, I started experimenting in Outlook. In Outlook 2010 I found in rules and alerts that there was a way to do exactly what I wanted. However, after some experimentation, I realized that the auto-respond message was being sent back regardless of whether the sender had emailed mrmojok@oldcompanyname.com or mrmojok@NEWcompanyname.com. In other words, I couldn't see how to make it reply only if the sender sent to mrmojok@oldcompanyname.com. So that won't work.

So now I am wondering if there is a way to do this from the server side, which is probably how I should have approached this in the first place. We are using Exchange 2010, update rollup 15. Does anyone know a way I might be able to have exchange, only when it receives an email to someone@oldcompanyname.com, to reply with an automated message?

I hope this makes sense.
It's going to be much harder if user@oldcompany is an alias for user@newcompany, because Exchange is going to treat them like the same thing. Someone else might have a better solution, but the only thing I can think of is an oldcompany Exchange server with a transport rule to send the autoreply to the sender and then forward the email to the newcompany Exchange server.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

This seems like it should be easy to figure out, but how would I look at all email received from a certain domain in Office 365? I've used message trace, but that only lets me specify an internal address as the sender or recipient.

I just need to see the history of messages sent from *@example.com to our organization...
Enter the address into the "check names" box at the bottom. You can put whatever you want in there, as long as it looks like a valid email address.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Skype for Business Q

Noticed that conversations had on the SfB desktop application are not syncing with the mobile app. Scenario: user starts a conversation with another user using the desktop app. When the second person responds, that reply may come to the desktop app, OR to the mobile app, but not both. The original message only appears on the desktop. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
This is a feature of Skype for Business.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of the best features of Teams is that it allows you to actually do persistent chat across devices AND remember chat history, BUT:
Teams->Skype for Business still works like Skype for Business, and doesn't persist.
If someone on Skype for Business sends you a message, and you have both Skype for Business and Teams open, you can open the conversation in one of the apps, but it won't carry over to the other.
Once a user logs in to Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, it will not be sent to their Skype for Business client.
If a user has not ever used Teams, and you send them a message using Teams, you will be notified that they are not a Teams user and it will be sent to their Skype for Business client.

e: oh, and Teams can't do any of the VoIP or screen-sharing that Skype for Business does

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently there's a Salesforce Lighting for Outlook thing on the Office Store now which means I'll never have to fight with our off-site sales team to update the Salesforce for Outlook addin.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

I'm doing an ediscovery request for HR to find all emails sent from one user to another and I can't figure out what the gently caress i'm doing wrong with my syntax. It's pulling in literally every email sent to the recipient, instead of just ones from A to B. Anyone see what I'm loving up? Exchange 2010.

New-MailboxSearch -Name "AAtoBB" -SourceMailboxes AA,BB -TargetMailbox discovery -Recipients bb@domain.com -senders aa@domain.com -searchdumpster -messagetypes email
How about this one
code:
New-MailboxSearch -Name "AAtoBB" -SourceMailboxes AA,BB -TargetMailbox discovery -SearchQuery "From:'aa@domain.com' AND To:'bb@domain.com'" -searchdumpster -messagetypes email

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you make a FQDN newautodiscover.domain.com, you're going to have to gently caress with the registry on all of your client machines in order to get Outlook to see it, and it will be way, way easier to just replace the DNS name.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ranter posted:

Is there a good 3rd party tool to administer O365 Exchange via a GUI? We're a small shop (100~ users) and running into use cases where we need to make changes via powershell because the out-of-box administration GUI doesn't support it. "Just learn Exchange and powershell" isn't helpful right now, however we do have a great budget even though we're small. Buying something off the shelf is something we're happy to do if it makes life easier.
Just learn Exchange and PowerShell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dyscrasia posted:

Perhaps a little off topic but similar to the "no powershell" request. How do you all manage o365 licenses?
I've been working on writing a scheduled task and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm normally 100% powershell, but something 3rd party would save me tons of time. I need to handle many licenses, multiple crm, different combinations of our e3 license and the like by local domain groups.

We have 5500 licenses, with a couple hundred user turnover depending on the season.
Something third-party is almost certainly going to be PowerShell-based, if everything is already OU-based it wouldn't be difficult to do like foreach ($user in $(get-aduser -searchbase "OU=whatever,DC=domain,DC=local")) { get-msoluser -userprincipalname $user.samaccountname | set-msoluserlicense $whatever } and then make that like a daily/hourly/whatever scheduled task on your DirSyncAzure AD Connect server