Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is there any way to force users to use OWA or a mobile device? Got a few users I don't want using local outlook.
You can turn off POP/IMAP/MAPI for those users, I guess?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trastion posted:

Where is a good place that explains how to setup SPF?

We have an in house exchange 2010 server, a barracuda spam filter and an hmailer. We have about 20 or so domains but only a couple are used for email. Trying to get this figured out without accidentally killing our email in the process.

2nd related question - Setting up SPF wont interfere with my remote users if they are using phone apps, OWA and outlook connected to our server right? I assume because they will all talk back to exchange and it will actually send the message.

How about things like remote location printer/fax machines that email?
Here's a good one: http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/spf.html

SPF is just a thing that tells recipient mail servers, "If a sender's email address is on this domain, and the sender's email server is on this list of IP addresses, consider it trustworthy." Your Exchange server has a public IP, so that's the IP address you'd put in your SPF record. Your remote users will connect using some type of POP/IMAP/MAPI/OWA connection, which will then send mail through that Exchange server. Your printers/fax machines should connect to that Exchange server to send mail, especially if that mail is getting onto the internet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Does anyone know why Ofice 365 has been making ALL of our mobile users enter their password again the past couple days? It's been about 4 months since we started using it, and I don't know if there's some password confirmation requirement every X days or what. We don't have a password change policy, I know that.
Maybe a mobile app got updated?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

It sucks because nobody here knows their 365 password. We don't have it linked with AD, so I just made everyone secure, unique passwords and set up their phones and Outlook myself.
Oh, dear.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also for what it's worth, I've got my O365 account linked to the Mail app on my iPhone, and haven't been prompted to update its password. I also haven't gotten any complaints from users about this happening, but we've got DirSyncAzure AD Connect set up so they all know their passwords.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone used DKIM with Office 365 and a third-party service like Mimecast? According to technet, you can disable Office 365's DKIM policy, but it apparently will get turned back on without warning. Turning O365 DKIM on would be needs-suiting if sending the mail through Mimecast will alter the email and invalidate the signature.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

we have same setup as you (o365+mimecast doing dkim). I waited 30 seconds for ECP to load to tell you that dkim is disabled on our o365 side. hope that helps :tipshat:
I disabled it last week, and it still says it's disabled, but the article says it'll get turned back on at some point. Maybe it won't? :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

"will turn back on" = "when we have to roll back the environment because of a unnoticed bug".
I was thinking when they update the server

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In Exchange Online, in order to publish a form to the Organizational Forms Library, it looks like you need Owner permissions? PublishingEditor didn't give me the ability to install an .fdm but I don't know if anyone else has any experience with this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A month or two ago my boss didn't believe that emails could be filtered into the Clutter folder automatically, and today he's implemented a transport rule to keep emails from some HR survey bullshit out of the Clutter folder.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaninrail posted:

Alright, so I've got what I think is probably a dumb question, but Google ain't giving me much help and I didn't see this in an (admittedly brief) skim through this thread.

If you have an Exchange 2010 DAG with 2 members, and one member fails and you have to restore the VM from an older backup (~48 hours or so, this was part of a disaster scenario so the more up-to-date local backups were inaccessible), will Exchange be smart and realize that the restored server's databases are old and NOT try to overwrite the newer databases when it comes back up? Or do I need to restore the VM, strip its network card, delete its databases, and make new database copies?
Don't take snapshots of Exchange servers, don't restore Exchange servers from snapshots.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Old Binsby posted:

Yes that sucks and it's a great way for Powershell to save your day since there are builtins for MB, GB, TB etc. Stick MB without a space behind any numeric and it turns into a magic postfix operator with an output of 1048576 (defined as 2^20). Same for the others. I don't know how this works exactly but it's kind of neat sometimes.

It's a fun rite of passage for any Exchange admin to accidentally apply a super dumb limit to an entire database and/or perform some arbitrary action on the first 1000 mailboxes by mistake because you hosed up some get-mailbox somewhere. Although I've done that more than a single time probably :negative:
It does the 2^10/2^20/2^30/etc. conversions for you, but it's important to remember that that's all it does. It won't recognize if you're trying to switch between bits and bytes, and it doesn't do powers of ten. It also only goes up to peta- but that should be good enough.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Goddamnit I hate this constant change of things in O365 I never know where to go.

I think I remember creating either a DLP or transport rule that checked the file classification (from Azure Information Protection) and did something based on that classification.

Was I dreaming? Is that not possible?
DLPs and transport rules are configured in different locations. If you want a transport rule, that's in the Exchange admin console. If you want a DLP, that's in the Security & Compliance zone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Exchange Server is not a prerequisite for Azure AD Connect.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We get by without an on-prem Exchange server, there are some Exchange attributes you can change from ADUC, like msExchHideFromAddressLists. The AD schema might not be extended to include those attributes if you've never had an Exchange server in your environment at all, though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think you need to put Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned inside of your script like that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone seen this behavior before? A user sets themselves up with an out of office response, and is sent a meeting request. They then spam everyone else on that meeting request with forwarded copies of the same meeting request. I found this KB article, and both of the users are on an iPhone. They're each not sure if he accepted the meeting from their phones or not. I'm also on an iPhone, and I've definitely accepted meeting requests, but I haven't been out of office while doing so.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ranter posted:

We had the out of office / iOS issue occur just last week. We had to log into office 365 admin center and remove their device because it was for a company All Hands meeting and it was spamming the poo poo out of everyone.

We recommend the Outlook app and tell them we will publicly shame them if their iPhone causes issues.

gently caress Apple. It's been an issue for YEARS.
Oh gently caress, that's going to own when that happens to us.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I'm kind of surprised I've never come across this issue
I'm going to assume it started just last week, but various iOS incompatibilities with Exchange have been pretty consistent.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Old Binsby posted:

what email security is Good????
Mandatory TLS 1.2 is pretty good, imo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

My up my Exchange goons: iOS 11 breaks ActiveSync.

Conditions: Exc2016 on Server 2016. HTTP/2 fuckery.
I've been running the iOS 11 beta for months now and haven't had any issues with the mail app connecting to Office 365.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

If you're not seeing it, I suspect that o365 is using HTTP/1.0 (or their OS basecode is older). This only effects on prem on 2016 (very small pool tbh).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032720/how-to-deploy-custom-cipher-suite-ordering-in-windows-server-2016

This will help you change the cipher to force a 1.0 connection.
Yeah, I mean, iOS has pretty much aaaaaalways had problems with Exchange. Can the Outlook app connect to it? I don't know if you have an iOS device to test with but I imagine that would help. Maybe you can get your office to buy an iPhone X, but it's not out until November.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Why? iOS native client works great on my iPhone, in fact better than outlook app (for example - can do tasks, syncs drafts)
It works great, until it doesn't. Like when this happened a few months ago.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some people aren't going to like the Outlook app. That's fine; there are other apps on the app store that can connect to an Exchange server. The fact is, the stock iOS mail/contacts/calendars apps, when connected to Exchange, will break in strange and mysterious ways, and Apple will fix those problems when they feel like it in an iOS point release down the line. I don't know what "uploading your email to Microsoft and then you connect to Microsoft" means, but without having done any research I'd put more faith in the Outlook app than a third-party mail app.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sounds horrible but surprisingly haven't come across this and I work with a lot of different environments
I linked to the Microsoft KB article a few posts up but it's apparently been fixed as of iOS 10.3.3 and watchOS 3.2.3

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ranter posted:

So you tell all your users "yeah now you can go to iOS native email/calendar and it's all good!" then Apple release an update and its super loving broken again and will take another year for them to give a poo poo.

I wouldn't.

Until we are done migrating to Google....

Ranter posted:

Yeah don't use EAS and iOS. Ever. Just don't. Tell them to use the Outlook app or gently caress off. Seriously.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've been using iOS 11 throughout the beta, and while I rarely send email from my phone I definitely sent an email from my iPhone yesterday afternoon so I don't even know how this got hosed up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

oh good! my original warning of "Edge case 2016+2016" has grown full blown nuclear with 0365 and outlook.com fails.

I guess iOS beta seeds don't get the latest mail.app.
I never had a problem on the iOS 11 beta and I don't appear to have a problem on the iOS 11 not-beta :shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cheech Marinade posted:

Is there some way to get rid of the new gently caress rear end goddamn outlook 2016 account adding wizards to get something that will give me a single loving shred of diagnosic info on why this pile of poo poo doesn't want to connect? I'm sure I could get it to work if I could get to the old account creation wizard where I can type goddamn usernames and loving passwords, but this stupid poo poo is so dumbed down now it's useless.
1) When Outlook is open and the icon is in the systray next to the clock, hold Ctrl and right-click the Outlook icon, then go to Test Email AutoConfiguration
2) Use one of the tests here https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

Cheech Marinade posted:

I managed to get my Outlook issue resolved by creating Autodiscover SRV records in every DNS domain I could at that customer, but still gently caress Microsoft.

I have another fun issue though.

At another one of my customers, I'm trying to install CU7 and the installer is basically acting like AD doesn't exist. It says all roles aren't installed on this server, that I'm not a schema admin or an org manager. It even says that the domain functional level is 2003.

I haven't noticed a single problem with the way this Exchange install is functioning, and I haven't really found anything that indicates my domain is broken at all. I couldn't install CU6, either, but we have an audit coming up before too long.

The only thing out of the ordinary I've done on this was to use iiscrypto to remove old SSL Ciphers (for auditors). I stopped short of disabling TLS1.0, though I've done that on our in-house server with no issues.

Is there something special about the way the Exchange installer talks to AD that works outside of the normal windows DNS client and whatnot?
CU7 for Exchange 2013? Exchange 2010? Exchange 2016? If it's Exchange 2016, it requires a 2008R2 forest functional level.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone imported a PST into Outlook instead of attaching it. As it turns out, the mailbox for that PST wasn't theirs, so now they have a bunch of duplicate recurring calendar appointments and mails. Is there a way for me to go through their inbox and remove all of those? Do those get uploaded to Exchange or can I create a new profile in Outlook? I'm thinking I can do a search for mail from or appointments to pstuser@domain.com and delete em, but I've got a bunch of other bullshit to deal with that this isn't a big priority for me right now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yes - I don't believe this really bypasses everything though. maybe I'm wrong.. but doesn't the mailbox do some of its own spam processing soemhow?
Connect to Exchange Online via PowerShell and run this:
code:
Get-Mailbox | Set-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration -Enabled $False
That should work for all your mailboxes, if you want to get it to specify certain ones you can
code:
Get-Mailbox username@domain.com | Set-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration -Enabled $False

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What client are they using?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Other than ours, Outlook 2016.

I'm trying to get the guy I'm working with at the client to send a message directly to Gmail, because I'm not sure how to check that in Outlook. But the e-mails he sent to my Exchange that I then forwarded to Gmail have this:

code:
Content-Type: image/png; name="image001.png"
Content-Description: image001.png
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="image001.png"; size=8172; creation-date="Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:01:55 GMT"; modification-date="Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:01:56 GMT"
Content-ID: <0C7E268912A77547B2CAE21524EA02B9@myworkdomain.com>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Mailsender uses MAPI to basically use Outlook to send things. Sorry if I'm not stating this correctly, that's my understanding of how MAPI works.
In Outlook 2016 you can see the entire email with headers, etc. if you open the email into its own window, then go to File, Info, Properties.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Same, and I haven't had a problem with it :confused:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Check mailbox access control/delegation, but the user is probably lying to you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ranter posted:

She's an administrative assistant (so Outlook is meant to be her bread and butter... sigh) and she noticed the emails in deleted items on her first day, and it continued on her second day (today is her third day with the company). I believe her that it's not user action caused.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go check that now.
It's probably going to be something like, "oh, I didn't know the X in the popup deleted the email, I thought that just made the popup go away"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

Welp. There is always migrationwiz https://www.bittitan.com/migrationwiz/mailboxes/. I think its like 5 dollars a mailbox last i checked, but they'll support you every step of the way..

e: They're up to $11.99 a seat??
There might be a discounted rate through a reseller. I don't remember what we spent a few years ago.