Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any good books to learn about exchange 2010? I haven't worked with it in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any good books out there to take you through the rundown of exchange that isn't a cure for insomnia?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Let's say you come across a completely undocumented exchange 2007 server, what is the best way of determining it's inbound and outbound settings?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Would ExchDump get you what you are looking for?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using-Exchange-Dump-Utility-ExchDump.html

edit:

Sifting through the info it pulled from my Exchange server, lots and lots if info, maybe tooooooo much....

Ah thank you!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So what's the consisus of Exchange in office 365? I am thinking of moving my company into it for the feature set and price that it provides it is pretty good. the current exchange server we have is 2007 on a 12GB partion with 1gb free I am going to have to rebuild in the next month or so.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
all windows 7 <75 users, good to know any other opinions?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So a mid-large client(600 users) that we will be developing a solution for decided that instead of an onsite and offsite colo site for exchange they want office 365. My question is really, is there any way to use that in conjunction with an onsite exchange? Such as mail can be sent or cached to an exchange server from 365, and in the event of a 365 outage the local or colo exchange would respond to requests?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I know I touched this a few pages back but I'll just revisit it.

I am looking into office 365(email primarily) for my company as
1. I want to promote higher uptime, lightning, hurricanes, and people unplugging things have brought down the network more than I like to admit.
2. Our current exchange is a physical host sitting at a nice 500mb free on a 12Gb partition, (this was the work of an MCSE mind you)
3. Our website can also be hosted off site
4. We use self signed because the MCSE I replaced said "it was good enough you just get a red screen but it is completely safe to use" so it is instilled into everyones mind that self signed is the fine for all https. I would like to get off this and Norton SMTP filter which hangs most our emails for however long it feels like.
5. We are small 20ish people but plan to grow up to ~50 in the next 2-3 years, maybe larger depending on the how well we do on this VMware project.

Currently we are full VDI, win7(minus one person with XP), office 07/10.

Is O365 good enough for my needs or should I look into something else.

And yes we are a single site.

E: I am aware of google apps however I think O356 might be a bit better for us, due to some of the more minor features Gapps misses we use

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 11, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'll look into that, yeah the horror stories are bad but so is a exchange that shits the bed on you.

I could possibly rebuild our exchange server but I would much prefer an offsite solution that I really don't have to worry about as my tickets for vmware work are increasing drastically as well as internal tickets.

Oh those plans are actually pretty good nvm

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 11, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Office365 is great if you do it the Office365 way. If you're willing to cut MX records, move EVERYTHING Exchange based to O365, then it works great. Where O365 starts sucking is anything except an ideal MS scenario.

We would pretty much be using EVERYTHING exchange to O356. Intermedia looks like it has a better track record. I will push for that however O356 is already a buzz word for my boss and some other decision makers so I don't think it will be fun but given the track records of both intermedia wins, however usually the dollar decides...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well looks like we are going with O356, dollar is always the decider. I pushed for intermedia, however the 4/8 dollar plan outweighed anything I said, well that and BOB DOWN THE STREET USES IT AND HAS NO PROBLEMS.

:smithicide:

How hosed on a scale of 1 - 10 am I? <50 users, win7 w/ Office 07 and up. Also is the migration semi easy or is it an assfuck for win 2003, Exchange 07?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Nevermind

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 13, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I am having one hell of a headache with Exchange 2007 SP3, My boss wants me to increase the max attachment size of files in OWA to 75MB. Now I realize most businesses will kick back attachments of this size from being received, however I still need to get this done. I have adjusted the max attachment size to 75MB for a test user and can successfully send via OWA to our company such as;

UserA using owa can send a 30MB attachment to UserB using outlook or OWA.

However, when UserA sends an attachment 20MB to UserC(at)gmail the message is kicked back from our exchange server for MAX file size limit.

Everything I see look says my max file size if at 75MB, however mail still can't be sent to remote mail servers.

I have restarted the exchange services, do I just need to reboot the whole thing? Really at a loss right now.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

underlig posted:

If i remember correctly all you need to restart is the services, but there's limits on serveral places, have you upped the limit everywhere in the exchange console? and in the shell?

There should be one on the send connector too if i remember correctly (only a 2003 to look at here).

Yeah I have set them to all exact matches. Get-TransportConfig in EMS verifies my settings are correct as well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

wyoak posted:

Not directly Exchange, but it's related, so - we're looking at getting off of Postini (now Google Apps), since it seems to be like 2x the cost of most similiar SaaS offerings...does anyone have opinions of companies like EdgeWave, PostLayer, MX Guardian, or similar?

We use AppRiver, and have had no major gripes other than "well the site that has an invalid cert, domain is freebe hosted, and the lady sends out some spam but it's not that kind of spam"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Please refer to my friend's anecdote from AppRiver of "Sorry your hosted Exchange has been down for three days. If you'd like your service restored faster, your best bet is probably to find a different hosted Exchange provider."

Briantist can corroborate.

Oh we don't host our clients exchange in those environments, we just use the spam service.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Gyshall posted:

Even still. A few weeks back, there was a problem with AppRiver servers accepting mail from a pretty common ISP like Comcast or something. Explaining that to customers was horrible.

Wow really? None of our clients reported an issue like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Syano posted:

Man the new versions of Exchange are so dang easy to install and admin and perform so well I wonder why people are still looking at hosted Exchange. I guess when an office has literally zero servers.

Not all places can provide the up time that cloud hosts can for the price point.