Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I'm kind of an Exchange newbie and I need some help. I'm trying to restore e-mails from a backup. I've created the recovery group and I think I totally hosed up with the database. I mounted the live one and not the backup. I don't know.

According to these instructions

http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-recovery-storage-groups/

I should have had a couple options but I only had the one. I'm worried because in the Mailbox Store section of the Recovery Group it lists the default public store location.

In the database locations, it has the database names under the right path. The instructions say above these should both be created but they haven't.

Am I ok? I'm really freaked out. This is on a live system.

I don't want to mount the db without knowing it won't overwrite something or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Internet Explorer posted:

Just as a quick reply because I don't have a ton of time, you should be okay as it is pretty loving difficult to restore over a live database if the service is running. You would have had to check the box saying "this database can be overwrriten by a restore." So don't freak out, but you shouldn't really be doing this on a live server if you're an Exchange newbie.

Yeah I know, I don't have a test environment and I don't have the resources for one. I've done this in a lab before but, live systems.

That option to overwrite is checked in the Recovery Group.

But I just realized that it's the public folder store.

The directory path is correct based off where I told it but the db names are entirely different.

I get x:\restoredirectory\mailbox store (servername).edb instead of prv1 or whatever.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Ugh, I really do not have a loving clue about this. I managed to coopt some hardware , installed Exchange and have the db on the server. I don't know where to go from here though.

This isn't something I've ever done before. :(

All this for one goddamned mailbox.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Just something for any i365 users. Apparently there is no way to restore an Exchange mailbox store to a test system. You have to restore it to the live, with overwrite files checked and it will allegedly restore it to the Recovery Group.

:catstare:

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Oh, one more thing. Does anyone know of a good .edb to .pst recovery tool that will actually let you do a test extract? I'm leery of paying $300-$1000 for something I can't test fully.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

http://www.krollontrack.com/software/powercontrols/

Call them and talk to them, powercontrols has saved my rear end multiple times.

I tried using the eval version. They won't let you extract, which totally sucks. I get why, they don't want people using it without purchasing it for like one or two mailboxes. But I can't justify the cost without proving the data comes out and is acceptable.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

Call them and get a 30day key, they will give you one, they did for us.

Oh sweet, you're an angel. We're a 503c too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

Call them and get a 30day key, they will give you one, they did for us.

Total jerks as it turns out. I tried to explain the situation and that I'm on a really tight deadline. They flat out refused.