Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

loving Exchange. I've got a new user who just will not show up in my address lists / OAB. The OAB contains the address list in question, the Address List Preview shows the particular user, I've forced regeneration of the address lists and OAB (with logging turned up - nothing worrisome), taken Outlook in/out of Cached Exchange Mode, and verified that the user doesn't even show up in the lists via OWA. I don't know what the hell's preventing this user from showing up.

No, "Hide from address lists" is not checked.

Can the user open their mailbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Swink posted:

That post seems to be my exact issue but the resolution does not work for me.

code:
$begin = '12/10/2013'
$end = '12/17/2013'

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter "(Received -gt '$begin') -and (Received -lt '$end')" -Mailbox user -FilePath \\server\share\file.pst
ContentFilter is invalid. The value "17/12/2013 12:00:00 AM" could not be converted to type System.DateTime.

This is maddening.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730960.aspx

Try that. Save the dates as a get-date to get the object.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

goobernoodles posted:

Is there a way to view if/when a user deletes his own mail? I enabled mailbox auditing on the mailbox in question and from ECP it looks like the auditing is mainly for seeing if other users or admins did anything to the account. Where, if anywhere, can I see changes that the user has made to his own mail? I've had a guy complaining he hasn't been getting certain emails from internal and external people, when I see the emails on our mail archiver

If on 2010 or higher could via powershell search the mailbox dumpster. Be careful depending on your org's or country's data privacy policies.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Got Haggis? posted:

so I have run across a bug in Exchange 2007 - took forever to figure out the cause, seems like it still exists in Exchange 2010 as well. Anyway, turns out if users have over 20k messages in their inboxes and connect to exchange using the IMAP protocol, it will shoot the CPU percentage up to 100%, killing the server. Have been able to fix it by having users delete messages.

While I know that it is possible to impose email limits like total size of mailbox, is there anyway to limit the number of items users are able to store in folders? I would like to set this at around 10k or so, but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

What does your throttling policy look like? Also get-imapsettings? When you say kills the server, which server? Are you running multirole single server or split role?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Got Haggis? posted:

multirole single server...we have about 40 users total. Can't turn off IMAP because the majority of clients run Thunderbird (and linux). After narrowing it down to folder size I was able to do some googling and found many people with the same issue. Users with a large number of items in their inbox cause the CPU of the server to climb to 100%. Clear out inboxes, problem solved. I was hoping there was an automatic way to make this happen or at least work the same way it does with messagebox size.

It seems ms says its good practice to have no more than 5k messages per folder in exchange 2007 - but somewhat depends on server specs. This server is fairly beefy - for us we really see problems once users have more than 20k messages in any folder.

Oops, sorry I miss read the part about you being on 07. Throttling policies for IMAP didn't come till 2010.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

So, mailboxes are finally all moved, OAB is rehomes, Public folders are replicated. Today I'm rehoming mailflow to the new server and changing DNS to point to th enew external IP for Activesync/webmail.

Is there anything else I need to do to fully transfer everything over to the new 2010 server from my old 2010 server?

New public folder set as the default on your mail DB(s)? Special mailboxes migrated? Not sure of your architecture so those are two that jump off my head at first glance. I assume you have a CAS array and your Outlook users are using a VIP for connectivity instead of a single CAS.

When time to remove the old server, I'd do a pull the plug/power down cool off, followed by gracefully uninstalling it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

All clients are cut over to the new server. Public folders are happily replicated. Special mailboxes are moved. SMTP send and recieve are rehomed. Firewall is set. Public and private DNS are changed to the new proper internal and external IPs.

I can't really think of anything else. I'll shut it down on Monday and see how it goes.

Nice. Any internal mailing server systems that may have connected via IP or machine name for SMTP/POP3/IMAP? Got your backups configured? Monitoring? Scripts?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

quote:

PST mess

If this data is as important as you say it is, get it out of the PSTs and into a solution that is meant for archiving and discovery. I am not saying go hog wild and spin up Symantec Enterprise Vault, but there are some other solutions, mentioned even in this thread that would work. You need to be on ball with your legal/risk department as to what needs to be kept (regulatory, audit, etc.) and for how long. Additionally, you should develop strong legal hold procedures to protect the organization from possible sanctions in legal matters. If you're on 2010, look into discovery mailboxes and the unique features they offer. Your discovery personnel would use ECP to do their searches into those discovery mailboxes.

Also, where are these massive PSTs coming from? Journaling?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

Few issues for anyone that can assist:

I have recently inherited a mail system running on exchange 2010 SP2. I don't know much about exchange, but we have a weird issue with a user being able to log in to Outlook Web Access but not able to IMAP/POP their mail (incorrect password). I had assumed pebkac, but upon further investigation I saw the error and sure enough, even on a fresh mail client account set up on a new computer it keeps prompting for password through imap/pop. This is only happening to one user, so I went to the logs to see if he popped up and sho 'nuff:

code:
Event ID: 2915, Source MSExchange ADAccess, Error
Process w3wp.exe () (PID=4904). User 'Sid~*DOMAIN*\*USER*~EWS~false' has gone over budget '197' times 
for component 'EWS' within a one minute period. 
Info: 'Policy:DefaultThrottlingPolicy_f09caf46-b1c2-23e0-a2f4-827462fd1a, Parts:RPC:196;'. Threshold value: '100'.
This is strange as it seems to not allow him to access any services through imap/pop (such as iphone or other laptops), however he can still use OWA. I've found a resolution through googling here: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-...g-policies.html but I don't like the idea of zeroing out throttling in case someone is using our server for nefarious things :ohdear: I've grilled the user and he assures me he has no scripts or other funny business attempting to use his mail account (incidentally, he's using an osx 10.7 mac mail client and iphone ios 7). Some colleagues recommended an exchange upgrade to SP3, so that's our current plan but if anyone has seen it before I'd appreciate the help :)

In addition, I've found out that we've pretty much committed to making people use IMAP connections, but I'm not sure how. It looks like our NAT and firewall policies are solid (letting ports 80/443 to the exchange server) but if I attempt to create an exchange account from outside the network, it doesn't work and won't fetch mail (authentication seems to work okay though, my phone just spins when fetching mail). The only way it works is with outlook 2010 for windows if I create the exchange account internally and take it off site it works fine - I'm assuming this is because of "outlook anywhere". IMAP/POP connections (user issue above excepted) work just fine from outside.

Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.

Simple thing. Do a get-casmailbox on the user. Are those protocols enabled for them?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

So after updating to Exchange 2010 SP3, we have a whole host of new issues. :woop:

Mainly that for some reason Outlook 2011 for OSX just stopped allowing users to authenticate. I'm thinking the service pack hosed up our certificates somehow but I can't seem to figure it out - no entries in event viewer anywhere regarding certificates. This domain is kinda ghetto, being a domain.local 2008 domain, but it was working fine before that update. Now we can get in to OWA, but trying to change password or authenticate to ECP gives an incorrect username/password error no matter what. To make matters worse if I use the OWA light client it allows me to change password. :psyduck:

At least it fixed our problem for our one user. Huzzah.

My last gig we had a handful of our CAS nodes poo poo the bed when going to SP3. Specifically in the config XMLs. We simply uninstalled and reinstalled SP3.

Edit: also had some issues with IIS screwing up the bindings (we had two sites for different authentication methodologies, one for internal and one for external connectivity). Nuking the incorrect binding resolved the binding issues.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I recall there being database updates in one of the SPs, I can't remember if was RTM->* or SP1->*. That might be the cause of your issue.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Crackbone posted:

We've got a test environment with receive connector issues.

Internal clients can send/receive no problem. But I cannot get our external connector to work.

Testing via telnet, everything works perfectly until the final "." to denote message end. The Exchange server just ends the connection, and the message is never received by Exchange (no records in message tracking or smtp logs). This same config works perfectly in production and the firewall isn't doing anything to inbound smtp other than NAT.

Any suggestions on where to go next for troubleshooting? Is there something in Exchange that would create this specific behavior (ie, act like everything is fine and then sent a RST/ACK flag with no error message after composing the message)?

SMTP aware firewall in between?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

metallyca posted:

So I'm in the process of migrating Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and have a problem where the Exchange 2013 server is listing users that have been deleted in my Active Directory for at least 5 years now. The users that no longer exist are listed as "Legacy" under "Mailbox Type"and if I attempt to edit them through the console I get an error message that they cannot be found on the domain controller. I've searched through ADSIEdit and also searched for lingering objects using the repamin /removelingeringobjects DC DCGUID dc=domain,dc=root /advisory_mode and it finds 0 objects. I cannot for the life of me find where the hell Exchange 2013 is finding these users. My Exchange 2010 server DOES NOT see these users at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Forest and Domain Functional Level
2008 R2

Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 5

Exchange 2013 SP1

Define listing users. Get mailbox? Do you have mailbox database maintenance issues?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

What's everyone doing for on-premises SOX-compliant archving these days? 2010 and 2013-native archiving doesn't fit the "no delete" bill.

Right now we're using GWAVA RETAIN with a Journaling mailbox (PSTs disabled by GPO), but we're looking to find a different vendor.

My list of candidates right now are:

• Symantec Enterprise Vault
  • Barracuda Message Archiver
  • GFI Mail Archiver

But these options don't make me very happy for the future. Any suggestions?

Last gig used Enterprise Vault. Good product but the compliance/discovery group had their heads up their asses.

Current gig uses HP Autonomy's Zantaz off site journaling solution.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

I've got a real quick one for all you Exchange nerds.

What are the consequences of disabling the Content Index on an Exchange 2010 Mailbox DB? I've got one here that's too tight around the belt and the CI just fails because it runs out of space.

Plenty of room in the edb for actual mail, but Exchange never gives anything back to the filesystem :argh:, and I haven't figured out how to move the CI to a different set of disks.

If it just means OWA searches will be slower and exclude attachments, I'm A-OK with that.

Move the content to another volume, create a mount point on the catalogdata folder to the volume where your content is at. Stop the ms exchange search indexer service before hand. To clean up your DB either schedule some down time to compress or spin up a new DB and shuffle all the users out destroying the old one when done.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Yeah, I thought about doing that with a junction point but I was asking to find out what would happen if I just turned off the CI instead. Its easy to find out *how* to do it, but I haven't been able to find any info on what doesn't work w/o the CI.

Everything I've read about doing a defragmentation on the db with ESEUTIL indicates that I need enough free space to make a complete copy of the DB minus whitespace. Is that not the case?

Correct you'd need a load of space with the added benefit of your mail store being down while the process runs which is why I suggested the shuffle method.

You could nuke the CI by disabling the search service then kill the CI leaving the service disabled but I wouldn't suggest it for the long term.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Why? What happens? That's the whole reason why I asked in the first place.
If all it does is make it so people can't search the contents of attached .XLS and .DOC files, I couldn't give a poo poo. They can live without it until I have a permanent solution to this.

Yep, logs have their own pair of disks, as does the public folder store. Plenty of space on both of them. The other admin here kept disabling user accounts w/o ever disconnecting their mailboxes so things piled up on the mailbox DB disks. Now we've got a huge DB that's so big there's no room for the CI and plenty of whitespace after deleting old mailboxes. If there's no way to do an in-place defrag without having an equal amount of free space available (defeats the purpose of a defrag, huh?), then the only option is to migrate to a new server or hook up an iSCSI LUN to this guy.

Yeah that's the plan. I wanted to get an idea of what the consequences of disabling the CI are before doing it. As of right now, mail works fine except for OWA search.

I was digging around writing test scripts today and realized set-mailboxdatabase has a parameter of indexenabled. Going to the technet article the command confirms this will disable exchange search for the database. Obviously may want to test this before hand...

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Exclaimer Mail Disclaimer is fantastic. Great product, great support.

That's quite the mouthful of a product name.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hi!

I'm a junior IT admin with really basic skills with server administration. I did 7 years in support. I just did my Windows Server Administration Fundamentals certification (MTA) and now I've the opportunity to climb the ladder and be a junior admin.

Soon, we'll migrate Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and there's a possibility that I'll be the one in charge of the migration (don't ask why!). But I know very little of Exchange (I know how to USE it, to create mailboxes, lists) but not how to manage it.

So I need a really good book to learn Exchange 2013 from the perspective of a new user and not someone who already know Exchange. Can anyone suggest me something?

Thanks alot!

(Just so you know: I won't be alone is this but I want to learn more about Exch2013 before they throw me in this migration and ask questions each 2 minutes.)

My answer really depends. How many users? Current connectivity setup: just internal access only, internal for Outlook but OWA and active sync exposed to the internet, etc. Blackberry? Enterprise Vault? Good? Any kind of enterprise level application that does heavy communication with Exchange? Public folders?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Any idea how to troubleshoot a mailbox that won't export to a *.pst?

I can see the *.pst created but it'll crash outlook and just hang at 2.64MB. I've turned off all indexing and still doesn't work.

Try moving it from one database to another. How big is the mailbox? Number of items? Number of folders? What version of Exchange?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Swink posted:

I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.

None really.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

I set up a rule if my name is in the CC: field I send it to another folder other than my Inbox.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

:stonk::respek: :stonk:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

incoherent posted:

(Fun fact: "migrating public mailboxes" is an anagram for gently caress THIS poo poo)

:golfclap:

Yea, gently caress 07/10 for public folders. What a mess.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
And he just told you a possible way of doing it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Wait a minute, is this only for Sent Items? Because the problem is also happening to Inbox items (received mail).

How is the additional mailbox configured in Outlook? Is it added under the primary mailbox as an additional mailbox under the Advanced tab of the mailbox properties or is it added under the account settings with one of the two mailboxes defined as a default delivery location?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Not related to defrags, but for future reference around eseutil and /p option: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/05/01/new-support-policy-for-repaired-exchange-databases/

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

A terminated user had a series of [shared] calendar events, this wasn't known until after the user's mailbox had been deleted for around 60 days and a quarterly audit happened. We've restored the user's mailbox and imported the events into a resource mailbox, however users are receiving sync errors. I'm not sure if I need to add an x500 address to the resource mailbox, as a proxy address pretending to be the old user but the user object is long gone and not recoverable.

Any ideas?

Maybe have one of the users with the event send a decline and see if you get a NDR with the x500? Or, pop open one of the events with mfcmapi and look at the properties. Sorry, been away from Exchange since late last year.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm at a place where they have Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault. It was put in place long ago when exchange db size was a concern. However we're going to move to Office 365 so imho should just ditch EV and move it all to Online Archive. Question: what tool should I use to do this? Found TransVault online, any experiences?

How much data and how many users are you talking about?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I just somehow pulled off an entire exchange 2010 environment forklift over to a new data center with less than 3 hours downtime.

My plan was flawless. Does this mean that my liver has ascended to a higher plane?

Just means you forgot something that'll show up down the road and bite you in the rear end...

J/k congrats! It's a great feeling when all that planning pays off.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

There's an article for 2010 that lists the max recommended item counts in special folders. Additionally, from having seen it in person, high folder counts (5k+) can make things rough for OWA or mailbox moves as they have to parse the folder tree and will time out.

Sorry, I know, not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

hatelull posted:

Anyone had to deal with a massive bulk export of exchange 2010 mailbox (archive mailbox really) to PST? I found out the hard way that queuing up 10 archive mailboxes using Input-CSV and running some foreach against that queues all ten then processes all ten simultaneously. This was awesome when my test ran against a .CSV with four measly mailboxes each less than 10MB . It did not do so well when I tried it with a beefier .CSV of ten mailboxes totally around 176 GB. Needs to say my CAS did not appreciate the strain and promptly hosed off for several hours.

We have a licensed tool for this exact purpose that takes the load off the CAS entirely, but my boss doesn't want to put more money into it (it's licensed by the amount of data the software pushes over a wire) and thinks I could probably just fancy up my script with some sleep commands.

Check your MRS settings file. Been a long time since I touched 2010 but a quick google dredged this up. https://edmckinzie.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/how-to-speed-up-a-large-exchange-2010-migration/