Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As an aside, I would consider going straight to Windows 2012 if you can if you are rebuilding anyways. The license isn't all that expensive and Microsoft did away with feature lockout of different editions altogether. There's only Standard and Datacenter now (ignoring Essentials and Foundation) and the only difference between those two is virtualiztion rights. Standard has all features now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even if you are good at the whole server thing, it's sometimes just not something you want to deal with.

We're a SaaS, have all our production assets at a datacenter, we manage all our own servers for our business. That said, I would move to hosted exchange in a heartbeat because it's outside of our core business.

The care and feeding of our client facing systems is what pays the bills. gently caress taking time out of my day to troubleshoot an outlook issue or schedule maintenance time to patch and upgrade the exchange server. Email is a commodity product, it's best to hand it off to someone who deals with it at a far larger scale (and who has their own support department.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syano posted:

Yeah i get that... I just dont get it totally. "Dealing" with Exchange in so much as differences between hosted and onsite is like a once every couple months thing. Run it as a vm, give it the right resources, and watch 2 decades of engineering that Microsoft has actually done incredibly well just sit there and work.

Yes and no.

I mean, you CAN do that, but that's glossing over a lot of what SHOULD be done for a business critical asset. You have monthly patching, backup, backup testing, DR planning, and high availability planning/implementation. Microsoft is also on a 2 year plan with this server product like any other, so you have to (or at least should) be planning for and doing a migration every 24-36 months.

That's not even getting into the end user portions (Outlook desktop support is second only to printers on my most hated list.)

It just becomes a distraction and it consumes resources that are better spent on the revenue generators.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For an exchange only solution, approach it from the client end. Our policy is all BYOD devices (Android anyways) use Touchdown as the exchange client and that keeps exchange data all within the app and wipes will only affect that's app's storage.

It's $20 /seat and we just buy it for our users.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mimecast specifically calls out Office 365 compatibility.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Entrust actually has a thing up about it. Apparently they were chaining to a 1024 bit RSA key and microsoft removed the 1024 bit RSA roots with this latest update.

http://www.entrust.net/knowledge-base/technote.cfm?tn=8780

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Caged posted:

Mimecast will sell you just the anti-spam features of their product, and I've heard good things.

Yeah, that's exactly how we are using it. It's a secure email gateway for outbound filtering (data leak prevention) and SPAM/Anti-virus for inbound. It's been working extremely well for us since we moved to it in Sept.

Bonus is, we can use it as a mail routing endpoint as well. So, we can split off certain email addresses in our domain to go to a different SMTP endpoint (regardless of what MX records say) which has been nice in certain instances since our corporate email domain overlaps somewhat with our support emails. We can have the default to send email to our exchange server for that domain, but certain address we can route to our ticketing system directly. It prevents us from having to use POP3/IMAP polling on those systems and removes the load of those messages from our exchange server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are tons of exchange archiving solutions out there to take care of that requirement since it's something that's common with a publicly traded company due to SOX regs.