Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zubumafoo posted:

Not too small, we have one, but the emails are generally of a technical nature. Nothing a receptionist would know what to do with without a lot of training in things they wouldn't want to be trained in.

The whole thing with this is not really because of time sensitive stuff, it's making sure everyone has access to new and old emails from any PC on our local network. That's why I was asking about an IMAP type system, but just concerned about storage space on a typical hosted server. Which is why I was interested in the Office 365 as the mailboxes are 25Gb.

Also, I don't know why I'm making it sound like I work in some super secret place, it's a machine shop with about 15 employees.

I know its a day after the question but Microsoft Office 365 should work just fine for you. As well an SBS server comes with Exchange, Sharepoint and AD with a really slick new Remote Web Workplace.

Best thing about SBS is you can have everyone access the shared email via OWA, which would save you from having to buy the newer versions of Office. Make everyone work online.

edit: The main selling point of SBS is you also have the ability to go to a full blown windows domain with all the security and abilities that that contains instead of using crappy workgroups. Also Sharepoint 2010 kicks rear end.

Tomahawk513 posted:

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this will end up being an Exchange issue or a server issue.

We have a virtual terminal server setup. The second server, tsfarm_2 is experiencing issues. Whenever a user remote desktops into their profile on that server, opens outlook, and attempts to create a new/reply/forward mail item it crashes outlook. Only occurs on this particular server, and only when Remote Desktoping in (VNC allows opening New Mail Item just fine). The sys-admin is stumped and I'm just a Help Desk and Networking tech, no experience w/ servers.

What we've done to resolve:
Windows Update on all servers.
Reinstall Outlook on this server.
Wiping local user profiles on that server.
Rebooting server.

None of this made any difference, the instant a person clicks New, Reply, or Forward it crashes Outlook.

Using Standard Exchange profiles, not POP3. We're not using Cached Exchange Mode.

What version of windows Server are you running?

I suppose it doesn't really matter. If its the server DEP settings you can check those after you isolate the problem Outlook is having. One thing is to have the event viewer open and crash outlook on purpose and see what shows up as the reason. Thats always helpful. You can run through the outlook command line info, that will tell you if its Outlook or if its the server itself
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000071

go there and definitely check the NormalEmail.dotm troubleshooting. It sounds like its bad and crashing since thats the template that Outlook opens for new emails and reply's. Just run through the list on that KB article and see if anything works there.

Edit: and just for clarification, there is probably (99% chance) absolutely nothing wrong with your Exchange Server. This sounds very much like a local server issue or an outlook issue only. When Exchange fucks up it fucks your entire company, not one server.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU