Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Enterprise Vault. Expensive. Works.

We dumped it because it works like poo poo. We're using Exchange's built-in archiving now, since we already had the licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think Exchange likes dynamic memory very much, considering it'll try to get as much RAM as possible (same with SQL, btw).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't go overboard and upgrade to PS3.0, because E2010 doesn't like that!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MW posted:

A big gently caress you to Outlook/Exchange or whatever combination that causes Outlook to sometimes send emails as a winmail.dat attachment. We have systems that automatically reads incoming emails, extracts relevant attachments and then do some processing. I finally became fed up with having to push the problem back to the clients (whose systems and email clients we don't control) that I caved in and wrote a pre-processing step that automatically expands any winmail.dat attachments.

It works great, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Don't send RTF emails.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gyshall posted:

SharePoint has no book.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AutoArgus posted:

2016 or vNext or whatever the hell they're calling it now

vNext is what they use to refer to the next version :)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think you can run Office 2010 and 2013 simultaneously. Maybe just try to use the old data file? IDK.

We're going to migrate a public folder currently used as a calendar to a room mailbox. Any idea how to nicely migrate the appointments?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EvilRic posted:

Just incase it helps anyone, we got round the permissions issue by manually adding the delegate persmision to each of the effected mailboxes using powershell.

As part of the migration to a hosted exchange server we need a new signature management solution as the one we use currently has to be installed directly on the Exchange server.

We have found a few which use a software client on each computer to set the signatures in Outlook. This would work but we'd rather do everything server side rather than risk staff causing issues by not running the client program.

My manager found a service at blackpearlmail.com which works by routing your mail through their server and appending the signature on the way through. I think Exclaimer do a similar service for Exchange 365 but not for normal Exchange.

Can anyone recommend a better or alternative way of having full control over signatures on a hosted Exchange without requiring client applications or plugins on each device?

Exclaimer works for onprem too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dyscrasia posted:

You may be able to do Cert based authentication for active sync, but I do know that outlook does not support it. I wanted to use it to prevent non corporate pc outlook clients, but no go.

Can't you disable Outlook Anywhere as an alternative? That's what they did at a former employer.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

oh wow you weren't kidding

on a completely unrelated note what will break if I do 3 years' worth of CUs at once

One way to find out :getin:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

Just looking at my current exchange situation and noticed that we're still just stilling on Exchange Server 2013 SP1.

I see we're a number of CU's back. How bad is it going to be going from SP1 to CU5-CU13.

I don't recall anything breaking in between. Go hogwild.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes technically Google Apps includes Hangouts and Drive and stuff that Exchange Online doesn't, but nobody is going to use those anyway.

Pay $1 per month extra and you get OneDrive and Skype for Business. Think that's about the same as you'd pay for Google Apps.

I'm still on the legacy Google Apps plan so I don't pay poo poo, fortunately.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This isn't the company's Exchange server. I manage that for 30k users and that server actually does the thing it's supposed to do. This is just some piece of garbage in a closet.

Honestly this is why I hesitate to ever talk tech around here and tend to just hang out in the general purpose threads - everyone wants to know "why" and that's suddenly the topic. The why is cause I want to.

I'm trying to basically reset the entire server as though I just installed Exchange and am working there a piece at a time. Mailboxes and database emptied but unable to delete the database so far. Will see if I can figure that out. Having fun with my server.

usually because the "why" is the actually interesting part. if you manage an exchange environment for 30k users and you don't know how to uninstall exchange, uhhh

anyway, you've probably forgotten to delete the arbitration mailbox. and else powershell will tell you why you can't delete your mailbox database.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The outlook app for ios is pretty decent and supports shared calendars.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ranter posted:

Is there a good 3rd party tool to administer O365 Exchange via a GUI? We're a small shop (100~ users) and running into use cases where we need to make changes via powershell because the out-of-box administration GUI doesn't support it. "Just learn Exchange and powershell" isn't helpful right now, however we do have a great budget even though we're small. Buying something off the shelf is something we're happy to do if it makes life easier.

O365 Administration Center is a very neat tool that also shows you the exact Powershell commands being executed.

https://www.o365admin.center

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Huh any particular reason a user's contact card would show the wrong name, but the correct picture and other info? Got a user who clicks on someone's name after entering them in the TO field, but that one item is wrong for them, seems right for everyone else.

Delete the entry and try again? From the user's local nk2-file (or whatever it is nowadays)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

It's not on the autocomplete though. It's after the TO has looked them up in Exchange and changed the name to a clickable link. Then the name is wrong in the Contact card that comes up. O_o.

Outdated cached GAL?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How do you 'qualify' without manually adding the CNAMEs required for O365's DKIM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Did you try to download the GAL again for the assistant? I've seen weird issues like that get resolved that way.