Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Hello,

Someone might be able to help with this.

There are 5 resource mailboxes set up at a company. A user is receiving all meeting request notifications for those meeting rooms.

Originally he was not a delegate for those rooms. He had "editor" level permissions for the calendars.

To troubleshoot, I manually added him as a delegate, but specifically unticked the "Send meeting notifications to this delegate" option. He is still getting notifications. We've bumped him down to "reviewer" level permissions but no joy.

He does have Full Access granted through the EMC to the mailbox; could this be what's causing it? It does make sense I guess, but everywhere I've googled has just pointed straight to delegate access.

I did consider it was maybe his Outlook client not losing a cached rule or something - But he's using Mail for Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Any tips for exporting mailboxes? I've got a user where I just can't export all her mail (we need to export it to upload to our new Exchange server, which is hosted). It will go for an hour or two then just do the whole 'Outlook is not responding' deal and the export progress grays out.

I've tried a filter on the export so that it only dumps out a years worth of email but still freezes up.

What exchange server do you have, 2003, 2007 or 2010?

Will Styles posted:

You may want to check the automatic processing for the calendar if it's turned on, as that has a forward to delegates option.

2010/2013: Get-CalendarProcessing <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates
2007: Get-MailboxCalendarSettings <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates

Set to false if enabled and that may fix the problem.

If you're on 2003 you'll want to use an older Outlook client (or VB script if unavailable) and check the automatic processing options.

Thanks Will, I ran that command (Exch2010) and it reported that the default setting was "True" - So I'll look at setting it to false for the mailboxes he's having troubles with :)

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Is his laptop configured to turn off the NIC/wireless card to save power?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Exclaimer Mail Disclaimer is fantastic. Great product, great support.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got a weird question.

I generally don't do much exchange stuff as I have a sysadmin and I'm more involved with user hands on junk.

I end up needing to give full access to email/contacts/calendars to users.

I have found in exchange 2010 on the server I can right click the user and "Manage Full Access Permissions" to allow the parent users to let the child users have full access.

The issue I'm running into is, if the child user is ONLY getting contacts/calendars and the parent does not want them to have access to email, I haven't found a good server side solution to doing that. The process I have now is go to the parent users outlook, set them up as a delegate with full permissions to the desired shares and then share the calendar. Is there a way I can dole out the rights server side as a lot of the parent users either work remote or unavailable or are a pain in the rear end.

As you're using Exchange 2010 you should be able to complete this using Powershell. Powershell is a CLI that Microsoft are slowly replacing the Exchange Management Console with - It's a fair bit more robust in terms of what you could do.

In your case, you can target the specific contacts folder (or calendar) like below:

Set-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity “UserA:\Contacts” -User “UserB” -AccessRights Editor

User A in this instance is the mailbox you want to delegate access for, with UserB the target mailbox to apply that permission to. User B will be able to view User A's contacts folder. To apply this to the calendar, simply replace contacts with calendar.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Apologies if this seems like a silly question - But when the SSL cert prompt comes up, do you actually accept it? If so, what happens when you accept the cert?

Edit: Do you have any VPN software that authenticates against AD/your windows credentials?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Eh, Cached mode in Outlook is meant specifically for this issue.

Exchange 2010 w/ Outlook Anywhere should work seamlessly inside and outside of your organization, as long as you have DNS and firewalls set up correctly. Hell, you don't even need a VPN for secure access to Outlook Anywhere anymore.

I don't think you read the original post correctly.

I read it as the users are logging onto a PC they haven't touched before. With Exchange/Outlook 2010 you cannot modify the amount of cached mail to be stored - it's either on, or off. So, with cached mode on you're still going to have to download it the first time. Those users might then log onto another PC, travel to a different site etc, and start the process again. Cached Exchange mode would not solve the original problem.

One solution I can see is to configure QoS on each router, but obviously that's going to be a massive pain rather than just modifying settings on the Exch server.

Easiest option is OWA. If they're only on site for the day or w/e, then they it's fine. It can send emails, receive emails, and you can access your calendar. Everything the standard user needs.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

There's a nifty product that can solve this, "Verbal Communication" - it's fairly well known but some people refuse to use it for some reason?

If you're getting the error "beep boop what is human contact" you can just set up an outlook rule as well

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can spot what I'm missing here. It's probably something really obvious.

Situation:

Exchange 2007 on physical SBS with 2 (!) mailboxes, being migrated over to a new physical box with Exchange 2013 running on 2012 VM.

I've configured autodiscover, configured all other virtual directories, and I've assigned a wildcard SSL cert to both boxes correctly.

I can create a test mailbox on the old server, configure its Outlook profile, migrate it to 2013 and log onto Outlook again and send/receive emails.

However. When I create a mailbox on the *new* server, or try to configure a new profile for the mailbox that successfully migrated, it fails at the "Logging onto the mail server" stage. It does resolve the new exchange server name however so that suggests Autodiscover is at least working to a degree.

Testing autodiscover through testconnectivity.microsoft.com shows all systems green. Testing Outlook connectivity with the working mail profile shows the following:

remote.blah.com resolves to a single firewall which points all requests over to the old Exchange server. I was under the impression that this shouldn't matter, but maybe I'm wrong. Have I missed anything blindingly obvious?

Thanks!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Making autodiscover.blah.com resolve to the new exchange server via a host file gets me a little further - It retrieves autodiscover settings correctly, but then prompts for credentials. Credentials for the mailbox are failing despite being able to log onto the mailbox via OWA.

Here's what I see now:

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 5, 2017

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Fixed it because I'm a dumb dumb.

Host file record was incorrect so I fixed that, poo poo started working. Created a forward lookup zone within DNS for remote.blah.com and all is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Chuck the headers into testconnectivity.microsoft.com and see what comes up.