Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
We use a shutdown script that does this automatically for Exchange 2003.

From the script

net stop MSExchangeES /y
net stop MSExchangeMGMT /y
net stop MSExchangeMTA /y
net stop MSExchangeIS /y
net stop MSExchangeSA /y
net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc /y

I would think the Information Store would be most important, but it can't hurt to stop them all prior to a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Does anyone know a way to modify the global address list so disabled users do not show up? We have Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, but for whatever reason I can still see disabled users in Outlook. When previewing the GAL with the Exchange System snap-in, I see the disabled user. I've tried the hide from Exchange address lists option in Users and Computers. I also searched through this thread and found the showInAddressBook attribute, which has 2 entries for All Users and the Default Global Address List. When trying to remove the GAL entry and applying the changes to the user, the list was re-added on its own after a minute. Users are complaining because they see old users in the GAL.

I've also looked at this article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198

It only allows you to change the fields, as opposed to modifying the filter via the snap-in to remove disabled accounts. It also warns that using raw mode incorrectly could cause huge problems requiring the reinstallation of Windows and Exchange.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

sanchez posted:

The hide from address list option in exchange management console (or users and computers if you're on 2003 still) works fine. The GAL can take a while to refresh on the server, then it can take a while longer for clients to download a fresh copy. Don't be surprised if the change takes a day or so to kick in.

Looks like I jumped the gun on that one. I tried this and it seems to be working, thanks.