Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I posted this in the "A ticket came in..." thread but found this thread after and am hoping someone here can help.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts or point me in the right direction on an issue with Exchange 2010 and domain names.

We have multiple companies that the higher ups want to keep separate as far as the outside world is concerned. Our biggest problem right now is they all use the same email server.

First off here is our setup. We are a Windows environment except for a couple specific *nix boxes that really should not matter for this. We are running Exchange 2010 on a Windows 2008 server and a Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall for our email. Our MX records point to mail.(company).com [this is an old unused company name but still a domain name we own] But when I look at headers for emails I see our internal domain name listed that is also the name of one of our companies.

Received: from mail.(company).com (mail.(internal-domain).com. [**.***.***.**])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP ...;

Is this internal-domain being sent by our dns? or something else?

Basically they want me to get it to say something generic like asdf123.com but I am not sure if I can do that internally with DNS or buy the domain name and set that at my registrar. Or maybe I am totally off track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Gyshall posted:

I have a similar client that has a second company and he wanted to keep completely separate for all intents and purposes.

What I did was:

- On the Exchange 2010 server, connected a second and gave it it's own IP subnet/address which went right to the firewall
- Had a second IP on the outside NAT'd to the inside IP address that I just created
- Mapped mail.seconddomain.com to this IP address
- Created new connectors, OWA/IIS/ActiveSync/DNS records to point at that IP address.

Make sense? The new receive connectors report "mail.seconddomain.com" as the received by server.

I also had to get a second SSL cert for the second connector.

Not sure how the Barracuda will factor into this, though.

We do not really care if they both have the same domain as long as we can change it to something generic like the asdf123.com one. We just don't want company 2's email to have company 1's domain showing up because that will make people ask questions. If they both are asdf123.com no one should ever put the 2 together. I am just not sure where it is getting the domain name part from in the header so i can change that.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Noghri_ViR posted:

This is driving me nuts because I know I know how to fix it, I'm just having a brain fart and been bashing my head against it all morning long. Maybe it's because I haven't had enough coffee. Anyways I've got this address popping up in the GAL:

It's wrong and I need to fix it, but I can't find the object in AD to get rid of it.

Looks like it may be a mail-enabled public folder, hence the folder with the envelope on it. What version of exchange are you using? If 2010, you need to go into the Toolbox and run the public folder tool. If it is older, or not exchange, you will have to figure out where to change public folder stuff.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Noghri_ViR posted:

Ah bingo!!!! This morning has convinced me I need to go to bed earlier

BTW, technically that email address can't be "wrong". Whatever address it has will get the email there. It just may not have the email address you want it to. :)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morganus_Starr posted:

This brings me to another question then - what would be the best way to securely send journal reports from one Exchange 2010 organization to an outside Exchange 2010 organization (both of which I control)? Since I can't journal to inside my own organization in /hosted mode.

Or if anyone has any recommendations for standards compliant message archiving let me know. Ideally something I can just securely and directly journal out to using a journal rule, instead of having to install something heavyweight and on premises that'd be awesome.

I use, and like, GFI Mail Archiver. It would be in house, though I thought they had a hosted version but I can't seem to find that on their site. I may be mistaken about that. I am not sure about how you would do the second outside org though. You could contact them, they are great to work with and very knowledgeable so they could tell you if they can do what you need or offer another way that you may not be thinking of.

I have it running on a separate server but you probably can run it on the exchange server itself if the server is ok, we just have a bunch of extra servers.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Does anyone use the remote wipe feature of exchange 2010/13? I know how to do the wipe but I am curious if the phone displays any information about the wipe after it is reset. I have read that when it reboots there is something that says a remote wipe occurred but I am wondering if it will say anything about who initiated it or what server gave the command.

If there is a message, can it be customized? Can i put something like "This phone is property of 'company', please call 'number' to arrange return of 'company' property."?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am building a new Exchange 2010 server on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box. Our current server is having issues because of the hard drive space. My plan is to bring up this new server and move everything over to it and make the current server go away.

The current server has all roles installed on the one server (except Unified Messaging which we don't use). I have setup the new server and got all the transport rules and such setup but I am having an issue. Yesterday a user said a bunch of his emails disappeared. When looking into this I noticed that the missing emails went to the new server but there does not seem to be any certain characteristic to the email that went there. I also am not sure if it was just this one user or if others are affected and just don't realize it.

A couple things that I know are a problem that I am not sure how to resolve. One is that the 2nd server has its own mailbox database even though all the mailboxes are still on the 1st server except 2 that I moved over. Those 2 are just test ones that I have. Is there a way to copy the original database over to the new server and use that instead of having 2 different ones?

The second thing is I do not have a CAS array or DAG setup at all. It looks like I cannot do a DAG because I am not running Server 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE edition, just standard. I assume I can get away with not having that especially if I am going to be at a single server again when completed. I don't know why there was never a CAS setup as I did not setup the 1st server. Will creating the CAS solve the other issue? Can I create one after the fact and not have it mess everything up?

I am still learning all this Exchange stuff but I am getting better at using powershell and EMC.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

You don't need DAG or a CAS array if you're only going to have one server at the end. You don't want to move the original database over, it'll be easier just to move mailboxes (they stay online during the move). You do need the CAS role though, that's what lets people connect via Outlook or OWA.

When you say emails disappeared, do you mean new mail he tried to send or expected to receive was gone, or do you mean old messages in his mailbox were moved? Where were they on the new server? Transport rules are org-wide, so you shouldn't have had to set them up on the new server at all.

Unless.....what version of Exchange is the old server?

Both are Exchange 2010. Sorry I meant Receive Connectors under Hub transport. There are separate ones on each server and things were broken until I put them on the 2nd server.

As for the disappeared emails they were ones he received and saw in the morning but some time around 1pm the were gone. I used tracking log explorer on each server to search for emails to him and they both came up with different stuff.

I do have the Client Access stuff setup just not the Array part.

The user in question is a remote user and would be checking his emails from Outlook in a remote office and with his phone and OWA sometimes. When I looked in his mailbox from my computer I could not see the emails either.

I am sure this is something I did wrong. I just cannot find anything searching for it.

I currently have the 2nd server shut off, because i do not want it eating any more emails, until I can figure out what to do to fix things.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

Check his dumpster too. I can't imagine a second server eating something that made it into a mailbox.

At this point I am not really concerned with getting back the emails as much as I am in fixing things and getting everything finished on the new server.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

Yeah, like Will Styles mentioned it's not about his mail but whether or not something is actually broken.

If it was something on his devices wouldn't it break things even when i only have the original server up as I do now? Things only break when the new server is online at the same time which makes me think that something on that server is configured wrong.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Where is a good place that explains how to setup SPF?

We have an in house exchange 2010 server, a barracuda spam filter and an hmailer. We have about 20 or so domains but only a couple are used for email. Trying to get this figured out without accidentally killing our email in the process.

2nd related question - Setting up SPF wont interfere with my remote users if they are using phone apps, OWA and outlook connected to our server right? I assume because they will all talk back to exchange and it will actually send the message.

How about things like remote location printer/fax machines that email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

anthonypants posted:

Here's a good one: http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/spf.html

SPF is just a thing that tells recipient mail servers, "If a sender's email address is on this domain, and the sender's email server is on this list of IP addresses, consider it trustworthy." Your Exchange server has a public IP, so that's the IP address you'd put in your SPF record. Your remote users will connect using some type of POP/IMAP/MAPI/OWA connection, which will then send mail through that Exchange server. Your printers/fax machines should connect to that Exchange server to send mail, especially if that mail is getting onto the internet.

Thanks I will check that site out.

For the fax machines I was really only worried about ones at our remote locations as I know I have given them info for when they set them up but I think they are connecting to the exchange server via POP/IMAP so it shouldn't be an issue.

Biggest concern was that we have a bunch of domains so I assume I need to set it up on each domain. Also I have read that it is good to do NULL SPF for domains that don't send mail at all.