Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
It is times like this I am glad my GFI is running on a SMTP relay and not an exchange box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Briantist posted:

If your hosted provider doesn't have a way to turn off their own anti-spam/security measures then you probably won't like the results. All of a sudden your provider sees all of your email (including false negatives) coming from the same IP (or set of IPs), SPF will fail on all incoming messages too. You stand a good chance of blocking your 3rd party provider.

Isn't the solution to this a conversation with the Provider that goes "Whitelist this email, or we will find a provider that does". If you already control the MX, then they don't have much hold on you.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

spiny posted:

the tricky bit is more down to the fact the the people we use for hosting are personal friends of my boss (who founded and owns the company)

Write a simple memo to your boss how the spam service fits your buisness need better, and ask him to speak to his friends about allowing the IP, or offering a comparable service.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I have a restore question.

We are using MS DPM 2010 to back up Exchange 2010, and most restores to a recovery mailbox and then some PowerShell to bring the contents back work.

There is shared mailbox used by a team however, that is massive, with lots of folders that breaks a lot. When restoring we need to do this one folder by folder most of the time. Lately some folders have been a pain to do this way.

I was wondering what sort of tools are around to grab data from an offline store if we were to recover the edb instead? Or is it possible to bring a recovered EDB back to exchange if a live store of the same name still exists? Some budget is available.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I am happy with GFI. the support has been good.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Sounds like a lot of project risk is being budgeted for. A couple of hours for a site survey would get that risk down a lot. probably worth it, definitely worth it if they don't bill for it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

beepsandboops posted:

Do any of you guys use the disclaimer in Exchange? We've been having problems with inconsistent email signatures recently, so I'm wondering if fixing it with a disclaimer makes sense, or if that's just opening up another can of worms.

We do it with a transport rule that stamps a sig pulling the info from AD. It is a block of HTML using %%Phone%% %%DisplayName%% etc to fill in the user info

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Nice!

I don't have the CALs though. Plus our DB application needs to be able to interact with a local copy of Outlook.

I am sensing a massive rabbit hole here.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Left field question, but are the arbitration mailboxes borked?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

So what's a good backup solution for Exchange nowadays?

I have one server with ~40 mailboxes and we're using BE2012 and it really really sucks. Been having issues lately with backups taking forever. I just need D2D.

I'm hesitant to upgrade BE because 2012 has been so bad.

I have been using MS DPM for the last 4 years because it came "Free" as part of our MS licensing. It works.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
X/Y problem: you are asking how to move the mail; the actual problem is reading the mail screen since the change.

There are some voice stuff buried into the google apps. I have seen it used very successfully for illiterate students. Might pay to look at that as a potential replacement for the desktop apps for this context. Also consider different browsers for different use cases. IE for general use and Chrome for the google based stuff.

I am not sure how wherever you are works, but if there is any Health support plan in place, the agencies involved may have seen this before and have solutions.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

wa27 posted:

Using 365 credentials and no, there is nothing in message trace or clutter or anything. At first I thought it was because this copier (ir3245) was too old and must not support tlp, but then it worked sending to an external address so I don't know wtf.

Also, when I had exchange running this morning, it would send to those mailboxes even though I had SMTP.outlook.com as the server.

Is there some crazy internal DNS shennigans happening?

Is there some email spoofing stopping them coming in because o365 believes from address should be internal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

BiohazrD posted:

I realize that. But those values that it puts into the generated XML have to come from somewhere.

There are settings on the exchange environment.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt441781(v=exchg.150).aspx

There may also be stuff in AD.