Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anyone got any pointers on the manual AD removal? I've got an inherited domain that used to have SBS installed and there's loads of poo poo left in the AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He thinks he's people!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gyshall posted:

Mimecast is p. nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, with my somewhat limited experience with Exchange, as long as things were done by the book, it's easy.

I've never seen things done by the book.

See also: SharePoint

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I need a plugin for Exchange that restricts people to only sending an email to one person, except on two occasions each day where they are allowed to add two CC recipients.

Either that or some sort of credits based system so people who insist on CCing 15 people on each email can do it once before they run out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress?

I want to turn emailing multiple recipients into a freemium game, so either people stop doing it, or IT gets a nice slush fund out of it. My tolerance for receiving bullshit messages that I don't need to know about peaked today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:tipshat:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KS posted:

Is it possible to add delegated calendars on an IOS device? My executive assistants want to be able to work on their execs' calendars from their phones.

I've been searching and most answers say it's not possible. Some point to internet calendar publishing, but wouldn't that be read only?

One of the EAs says she's done it "at all her previous companies," so here I am.

The only shared calendar on ActiveSync I've seen has been whatever Google Apps does. If you hate yourself and want to support a mess then you can see if it's possible to use DavMail to expose Exchange calendars over CalDAV and add them that way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't you just pretend you're using the POP thing but just bypass it? How clued up are the people who care?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bet this software that is now sat in the middle of all your email traffic has a stellar security record, is well supported, and any issues are patched rapidly!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124740(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone got a link that details how message routing in Office 365 works? E.g. if I have a tenant on the service that has added and verified two domains, and enabled mail for both, would sending a message from one domain to the other attempt to keep it within the tenant, or would it go outside to look at MX records?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I don't have a link but I know from irl that it won't go outside, it will keep it inside like in normal exchange.

Matches the behaviour I am seeing as well.

Time to teach some people to read NDRs and look at a control panel instead of sitting on an issue for 3 weeks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's pretty much Office 365, or a Rackspace-equivalent offering which will always be behind the curve and cost more.

Google Apps is great if you're not coming from a background of Exchange features and users for whom email = Outlook. It's not worth the struggle otherwise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a difficult one to say exactly where the point is that you move email to something like Office 365. If you need your server infrastructure, Windows CALs, redundant fibre links, backup generators, failover datacentre etc. for the other things your business does, then the added cost to also use that for your email is minimal. If you have an environment which you'd consider 'at risk' and politically are able to move to 365 then it makes a lot of sense. It gives you a lot more control than it used to, and is maturing nicely.

It's going to be difficult to work out but you need a ballpark of how much it's costing you annually to keep Exchange on-site in terms of services that you pay for that you wouldn't need if your email wasn't on-prem, storage and backup capacity that you wouldn't need to add each year etc., and see if the costs of Office 365 make sense.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be honest in a couple of years 365 will be more than ready for whatever you need it for. 17GB is easily doable as well.

Exchange Online works nicely with Powershell, and the web UI keeps improving all the time. For example you can finally convert a user mailbox into a shared one without having to use Powershell to do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had zero problems with Google Apps that couldn't be put in the "it's not Outlook/Exchange" category. It's different and there's no getting away from that. Do not let people use Apps Sync for Outlook though, it's horrible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was this a recently removed object?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://eightwone.com/2015/01/30/blocking-outlook-app-for-ios-android/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple support forums are all variations on "you're using it wrong" or "works on MY machine". When an Apple update breaks compatibility with a third-party service it's obviously on the third-party to fix it etc.

I've seen winmail.dat issues before, are you sure it's actually replacing an attachment, as opposed to what happens when an HTML message gets converted to plain text and the original message added as that attachment?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ocanthus posted:

Posted this in the IT thread before I saw this one:

One of our Security team has suddenly become concerned that someone in IT is wandering through employees' emails inboxes. Is there a tool or report that can be pulled that monitors that activity (like adding delegations or using admin to log into the inbox) like AD activity can be monitored?

Also, are their any good tools for doing a mass review of Distribution Lists? After about a decade they are finally deciding to do an access review and it looks like a goddamn nightmare right now.

?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you left a loopback NAT rule in place and not updated it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ctrl+Right-click the Outlook icon in your system tray, and pick "Test Email AutoConfiguration".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's an unanswerable question really, at least with no more details. Exchange 2003 running on some shitbox old servers and kept running by "someone who's good with computers" will be a lot cheaper than Office 365. Do it properly - have a DR site, keep it updated, keep the servers in warranty, employ people to run it? It's not such an easy to answer question.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Very

https://www.mimecast.com/partners/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's all ending up in a shared mailbox then grand send-as to the security group that the affected users are in, then they can change the from address in Outlook.

If 'the same inbox' means each user then make a bunch of single-entry DLs for the new addresses and grant send-as on those. I can't remember offhand if this does the "sent on behalf of" stuff by default.

It would be nice if Exchange could realise that a user has an alias on their account and just allow send-as from all those addresses, but until then there's a workaround.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 4, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's 1&1 so you might as well just loving give up now before you get bored of smashing your face into a wall repeatedly.

Either that or relay through Mimecast/Mandrill/Amazon SES for that one domain if you want a dirty workaround.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you got a bunch of poo poo pointing to a local Exchange server in your AD?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When did Exchange 2016 become a thing? I have clients on Office 365 who are getting "Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2016" at the bottom of notifications generated as a response to calendar invites etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm aware that 365 is Exchange, I just didn't think 2016 was even finished yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's fine if it works - and it's working fine. And the changes from 2013 to 2016 are small enough that all the PowerShell stuff I was doing still works properly, so the lack of Exchange 2016 specific info on TechNet isn't really an issue. I just can't find any notice of it on the roadmap or in the portal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do so many useful looking MS support pages want me to log in. Really interrupts my workflow of Googling an issue and opening hundreds of tabs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been loving with ADFS in the background all day and then been waiting for the network guys to make the necessary firewall changes. And then just to make sure I know what I'm doing (Exchange 2010 Hybrid deployment so that mailboxes can be moved per-department, then shutting down the on-prem element) I watch a TechNet video on YouTube and the guys says that ADFS is optional and you can get away with getting DirSync (or the new Azure AD sync) working and then mash the Hybrid wizard.

I can't fault the depth of Microsoft's documentation but some of their stuff makes things sound incredibly complex.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you synced the mailbox data yet?

Here's how I would handle migration in your situation.

- Use the built-in Office 365 migration tools to do a cutover migration.
- Supply the tool with the OWA address that you currently use to get webmail, and an account with admin permissions. If autodiscover is in place then everything else will work itself out.
- Hit the big start button on the migration. This will connect to your current Exchange server, get a listing of all the objects (DLs, resources, users etc.), create them on your Office 365 and then start copying the data across.
- This sync will run once every 24 hours until you tell it to stop. The idea is you change the MX and let one more sync run to grab anything that was sent between the last sync and the MX records changing.
- If you want to use AD Sync, turn it on at this point and then let it do SMTP matching to map your on-prem users to Cloud users.

If you started off with AD Sync and have nothing else in the Office 365 tenant then just turn it off, delete the users it made (and remove them from the recycle bin) and start over, probably the easiest way.

I can't answer your question as to why some people ended up as mail users and others ended up as users with mailboxes though. What did they start off as on-prem?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am trying to get free/busy working in an Exchange 2010 SP3 hybrid / Office 365 deployment. The testexchangeconnectivity.com checker says all is good in both directions, but I can only see free/busy if I am logged in as an on-prem user and scheduling an event with a cloud user, not the other way around.

I have recreated the federation gateway and that has made no difference other than taking up some time.

I can't understand why testexchangeconnectivity.com says it's connecting to the target mailbox and finding no appointments, yet Office 365 can't do anything other than show 'no info' and hatch out the target calendar.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 29, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I'm just going to give up on the piece of poo poo. Tried to do a remote move and now I have a user mailbox showing up on-prem and in the :yaycloud:, but I just get a "mailbox cannot be found" error when trying to open the Office 365 mailbox.

Am I missing something or is there very little in the way of feedback on progress of moves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

You aren't missing anything. In a brief and un-repeated moment of honesty, one of our Premier escalation engineers let us know that hybrid environments have been either great after a little bit of work or utterly unworkable, and they don't know why.

I got it working :eyepop:

Federation is happy across both organisations and mailbox move requests are doing what they are supposed to.