Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

babies havin rabies posted:

Snip

Sounds like you need to run her credentials through here https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and see what is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

GigaFuzz posted:

I'm the 'IT guy' for a small organisation (around 10 people, half of which are part time), currently running on SBS2003. I've been there just over a year now, and when I started each Outlook client was using POP3 to download mail from the web-host's server, which was then stored on our SBS. I've transitioned it to using the POP3 connector for now, with a SMTP connector going to our ISP's mail server for outbound mail, but this obviously isn't ideal. The whole thing has been ticking along fairly smoothly for years now, and while I didn't know anything about Exchange when I started, I've learned a fair bit along the way (partly due to this forum), and I'm thinking about switching everything over to Exchange properly.

How feasible is it for a inexperienced-but-learning guy to run Exchange for a small organisation like this over a fairly standard ~16Mbps business ADSL link?

It is as simple as reconfiguring outlook and running through the SBS 2003 wizard if you have not done so already (you may need to open and forward port 25 on your router). 16 meg ADSL is more than enough. As mentioned previously though I would be looking to move away from SBS 2003. This will not leave you with an anti spam solution so bear that in mind.

Trinitrotoluene fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 19, 2011

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

Mail archiver has it's own problems. As fair as it is to sell it on the basis of being "not symantec" you could easily counter that with "is GFI". GFI has gone in the shitter over the last few years, and their mail archiver has never been able to live happily on anything beyond a medium deployment. Their Mail AV product is about the only thing worth a poo poo past ~50 users.

Also GFI easily has the worst support of just about any vendor I ever have to deal with. Opening a ticket with them is like tossing an entire day's time into a vast hole. Ever since 2010 was released I had to start phasing out their MailEssentials product and just start configuring IMF for even my smaller deployments, otherwise I get calls at random times of the day from clients complaining that they don't think their mail is going out. Why? Because when GFI is installed onto an Exchange 2010 box, there's about a 50/50 chance that it will randomly lock up the transport service and I end up having to manually restart it to get things flowing again.

I wouldn't even bother with GFI at all if my bosses didn't have such a hard-on for their horrible products. I hate pushing garbage onto my clients.

I have lost track of the amount of times multiple clients have phoned up while running the latest GFI ME, telling me that either their outgoing mail has locked up or GFI is letting in spam all together. Licensing is awful to, they give you a few "extra" per user licenses but you go one over and the organisation is going to be flooded with spam.

Tech support is awful too. Avoid GFI at all costs. We are moving our smaller clients onto Maildistiller, while expensive it does a fantastic job.

Anyone have any experience with other "cloud" spam solutions (including a price)?

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not an Exchange admin or anything, *snip*

If you go in ADSI Edit and have a look in AD you will find all the names of the appropriate tags (more commonly known as attributes).

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Exchange 2013 and Office 2013 preview out http://www.windowsitpro.com/blog/tony-redmonds-exchange-unwashed-50/exchange-server/exchange-2013-outlook-preview-versions-debut-143715