Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
So I've been thrown into planning the infrastructure for our next Exchange migration (2007 -> 2010) and it's been an interesting learning experience (especially since I'm the unix admin and refuse to use Outlook). Currently we're running 5 individual Exchange servers and just under 3.5TB of mail for about 500 people. Things I've been thinking about are:

1. Total storage space - Between losing SIS and DAG copies we're probably going to need something like 8TB of space just to start, right?

2. Backup - How does VSS integrate into something like being able to create a volume snapshot on a SAN? We have some volumes that just get snapped on a schedule but haven't tried to drive it from the client side.

3. SAN connectivity - Are there any issues with housing the databases on a SAN over 10Gbit iSCSI? Would fiber be a better option? We're trying to use this project as a way to leverage in a nice SAN that we can expand to other projects (Compellent, FWIW).

I'm currently working my way through the Exchange 2010 Inside and Out book, but it's not exactly light reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU