Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm far from an expert in Exchange, but this seems unnecessarily complicated. I was asked to give a list of all emails under a distribution list. Only about 1/3rd of all users in AD are members of this distribution group, and the scripts I'm finding are not working for me. :argh:
The closest I got was with the one from http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_21639737.html, but it only returns a fraction of the entire list before spitting a message saying "C:\query.vbs(62, 25) Active Directory: The directory property cannot be found in the cache."

I also tried just typing an email to the distribution list, hitting the little + to expand it and seeing all the names, but that only gave me the names, and not everyone's email addresses. :argh:

Can someone help out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ooooh, :sweatdrop: that might just be it. Gonna ask my boss to buy this. Thanks, goons!

*ninja edit: already downloaded and running on the 30 day trial.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Exchange 2007 / 2010?

get-distributiongroupmember -identity {groupname} |fl name,primarysmtpaddress

Exchange 2003, no idea.

Sadly, Exchange 2003. We'll upgrade sometime this year, I hear.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

:suicide: Seriously, shoot me. Let me start by saying that all I know about exchange 2003 is from googling and "experience" (not much).

A lot of emails are being bounced back today, saying that we've been blacklisted. I logged into our mail server to see this:

If I open one of those queues, for exmaple the one for zwallet.com that has 377 messages, they're all like this:

:wtf: What the gently caress do I do? I've quickly "frozen" all suspicious connections, but how do I trace this down to stop it from submitting more poo poo?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Relaying wasn't it. I looked through the security logs and thankfully these emails were all sent outside business hours, so it was easy to find the activity.
There was an AD account called "tech" with a loving password of "password". I blew that account out without even asking.
40000+ emails deleted later..... :sweatdrop:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

New weird Exchange 2010 issue (I think I'll be having a lot of these, so I apologize in advance)

A user has setup a rule to forward an email with a specific subject to another account. It's acknowledged as a server-side rule, but the forward part of it isn't working. I even added a "mark as read" to the rule to see if the rule was running at all, and the mark as read part worked, but it's still not forwarding. Any idea?

If it's marking it as read, the rule is running. Double-check the destination of the forward? Anything in the event logs?

--
Now, my own question:

Finally migrated everything to Exchange 2010. Final step is to uninstall Exchange 2003 and turn off that 10-year old server. I can't find the media, and apparently I can't just do an "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall... so, what do I download from Microsoft to get this taken care of? I've got "Exchange 2003 Standard Edition" listed on the Volume Licensing, and I've downloaded everything I can find, but nothing takes me to what I expect to see. :argh:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

Google for "remove exchange 2003 adsiedit". You'll want to just power the server off, remove the computer object and rip out the references to it in adsiedit.

Did you leave the 2k3 server on for a while and check the messagetrackinglogs every few days to make sure nothing's using it anymore? Always a good idea before you start clobbering things with adsiedit.

Yup, the 2k3 server is still on and nothing's hit it in a couple of days, so I'm ready to rip it out. I'd rather do the non-adsiedit if possible.

Will Styles posted:

If you're uninstalling Exchange 2003 Add/Remove Programs should be all you need http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110%28v=exchg.65%29.aspx. You may need to point it to the exchsrvr directory on the install media during the removal process.

You can use adsiedit to remove the old exchange servers, this was discussed a few pages back and might be worth your time to read. If the physical server is still there I'd suggest trying to work out the uninstall problem before messing around in adsiedit.

That Technet link: "Server Error in '/' Application." :argh:
I'll try it again later, but thanks.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ohgod, I didn't even notice that. gently caress. Sorry guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I know about the issue of not being able to create Notes in OWA (Exchange 2010), but this is a different one.
The "notes" section doesn't show up for one of my users, who happens to be a top executive. However, it shows up just fine under my account:

I looked around, and didn't find that this was a user setting in OWA, so what gives? This user does have a bunch of notes in his Outlook... and I don't have notes in mine, but it shows on my OWA! :wtc: