Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Anyone have any insight into this sort of error?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: General
Event ID: 9667
Date: 12/23/2011
Time: 8:20:53 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVERNAME
Description:
Failed to create a new named property for database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVERNAME)" because the number of named properties reached the quota limit (8192).
User attempting to create the named property: "username"
Named property GUID: 00020386-0000-0000-c000-000000000046
Named property name/id: "X-ACS-Spam-Tests"

Exchange 2003 :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Thanks, I was looking for something along these lines. Everything I was finding was relating to similar problems in 2007.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
I need some enlightenment on Information Stores. More specifically: What are the advantages, disadvantages, or limitations when it comes to having one information store, or a few smaller ones? (Exch 2010)

The IT company I work for has starting a hosted exchange service for some smaller companies we support. I am not the one who set it up or even manages it... I was just curious. As far as I can tell it's currently configured with almost all default settings.

Is dumping all the mailboxes into "First Storage Group" acceptable in this situation? It's very unlikely there will be more than 250 mailboxes stored on this server. It just seems weird putting all these different companies mailboxes into the same store.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Information Stores. Lots of good details to research! For the amount of usage this server will be getting it seems like one is more than enough. It will also simplify the backup process and won't eat up too much system resources.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

ICA posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me an easy / step by step way of forwarding my emails from my two Hotmail accounts (@hotmail.co.uk & @caledonian.ac.uk) to my Gmail acc? Tried myself but Hotmail's Outlook options are unmanageable and I can't see anything in Gmail's settings.

Thanks.
Not quite following what you mean by Hotmail Outlook options. The easiest way to forward those accounts would be to login via the MSN live website, and change your account settings.

https://login.live.com

Sign in with your e-mail address and password. Once you're in, click on your name in the top right, choose Options. On the options page, click "Mail" on the left menu. Then click on "Email Forwarding" under the Managing your account section. Pretty self explanitory from here.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

all windows 7 <75 users, good to know any other opinions?
What Exchange features are you using, and which could you do without?

I've moved a few small businesses (less than 30 mailboxes each) off their unreliable and dying on-site Exchange servers to Google Apps. However, in all cases they were using Exchange only for mail, contacts, and calendars, plus the syncing between devices. If that is all you really care about, then I would recommend it as alternative to Intermedia or 365.

I have dealt with Intermedia some in the past. Not without some issues.. but they seemed competent and fixed stuff quickly.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Sorry I posted to the wrong thread.

tjl fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 16, 2012

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

What's the best practice for an Exchange Organization name? Does it even matter? I'm installing a brand new Exchange 2010 server in an otherwise vanilla Active Directory 2008 domain.
You can use anything. I'm not aware of any best practices myself other than keeping it generic and company/brand agnostic. Practically speaking, it cannot be renamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

I am having one hell of a headache with Exchange 2007 SP3, My boss wants me to increase the max attachment size of files in OWA to 75MB.
:catstare:

Configuring your server is only half the equation. I can't think of a mail server (or MTA) in the world that would accept something that large... At least not any of the big names like Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Apple, pretty much all ISPs globally, educational/gov, as well as companies with sensible attachment limits.

Just to be sure I'm reading this correctly: You are trying to send a 20MB attachment from your Exchange environment to an @gmail account? Gmail will kick that back as it will likely exceed their 25MB limit once it's been MIME encoded. MIME adds filesize overhead, about 33% more... so 20MB expands to ~26MB in transit. Maybe the bounce looks like it's coming from your server... perhaps. But I'm thinking that Gmail is actually kicking it back.

You simply cannot reliably send files that large to public mail servers. I think that upping your Exchange limits is the wrong solution to your attachment problem, and you should try and explain that to your boss. You are sending year-2013-sized files using a standard developed (and perpetually stuck in) 1992.