Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I need a book recommendation. Today I had some exchange\DNS\rDNS\Header problems that needed answers and it highlighted how little I know about email in general and how exchange handles email.

I want something in the area of Baby's first exchange server, as that will probably have all the basics in it that I need to brush up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is it possible to get a log of which users have used OWA? We recently "announced" the fact that OWA exists and my manager is interested to see how much use its getting.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

DontMuchTooThink posted:

OWA is just a website. You can log all the information you need using IIS Logging.

Go to:
%SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\LogFiles
on the Exchange server and look for: /owa/auth.owa POST requests.

Thanks for that. Nice and easy.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

incoherent posted:

They fixed this in a rollup. You can deploy 3.0 again (if you're on SP3+the rollup)

Got a link for this? The stuff i'm reading still says 3.0 is unsupported.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Update 9/19/13: A side-by-side coexistence of PowerShell 3.0 and PowerShell 2.0 is supported starting with Exchange 2010 SP3. Note that Exchange 2010 will only use PowerShell 2.0 so PowerShell 2.0 is still a required component.

So does this mean that I can install 3.0, but not actually use any of the 3.0 features?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Right well that is fine. I can finally use some sweet export-csv -append action.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm trying to automate a PST export for a mailbox within a date range using New-MailboxExportRequest. I'm using Exchange 2010 SP3.

code:
$a = (get-date -year 2013 -month 12 -day 21 -hour 23 -minute 59 -second 59)
$b = (get-date -year 2013 -month 12 -day 27 -hour 0 -minute 0 -second 0)

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter {(Received -le $b) -and (received -ge $a) } -Mailbox “User”  -FilePath "\\server\share\export.pst"
When I run this script, I get the entire mailbox instead of the period I specify.

If I just put in the raw dates instead of the $a and $b variables, It says it cannot convert the string into a valid DateTime. Our date format is DD/MM/YYYY which might make a difference?

Not sure if this is an Exchange or Powershell specific query.

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That post seems to be my exact issue but the resolution does not work for me.

code:
$begin = '12/10/2013'
$end = '12/17/2013'

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter "(Received -gt '$begin') -and (Received -lt '$end')" -Mailbox user -FilePath \\server\share\file.pst
ContentFilter is invalid. The value "17/12/2013 12:00:00 AM" could not be converted to type System.DateTime.

This is maddening.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Well that would explain things as I have been successful getting an export of the 1st to the 7th to work, but not the 8th to the 15th using the exact same syntax.

Nitr0 posted:

temporarily change server's regional settings to US English.

Is doing this likely to have an adverse affect on the users?

As for saving the dates as Objects, when I use Get-Date in place of the date string, it omits the dates entirely - ContentFilter : ((Received -ne $null) -and (Received -ne $null))

Swink fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 21, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have a problem with my Outlook 2010 clients on Exchange 2010 SP3 - When a staffmember leaves and we remove their account, anyone with the departed staff-member in their list of shared calendars gets prompted for credentials. Presumably Outlook is trying to connect to the non existing account to update data.

Why does Outlook behave this way? How can I prevent it from happening?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I recently had to search 2-3 years worth of PSTs for keywords etc. I used software from http://www.sherpasoftware.com/

It did the trick. I think I had around 100 PST files. I needed to find emails between certain parties on a certain subject.

From memory I think a yearly licence was $4000. As our need was a one-off, we paid $1000 for a 30 day "rental".

Edit - I reread your initial post and maybe you're asking for an overall storage strategy? As we are required to keep every email sent and received, we do not have the storage capacity for this.

Our process is to journal all mail into our Archive mailbox, then dump a weeks worth of mail into a PST. We store about 3 months worth of PST email on tapes going back 7 years.

When we needed to discovery on this giant, 2 year timeframe we had to restore about 10 tapes to get all the PST files, then searched them using Sherpa's 'Discovery Attender' program.

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 11, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 12, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
How do I go about troubleshooting permissions problems in Exchange 2010?

I have a User A who has Full Access permission as well as Send As permission to User B. However User A is not able to send as User B.

I've never delved into Exchange logs but I assume this is where I need to go?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm adding permissions via

code:
add-mailboxpermission -Identity John -user Bob -AccessRights fullaccess -automapping $false

Add-ADPermission "Bob" -User "John" -Extendedrights "Send As"

The user is able to view the mailbox without issue, but sending as the alternate account fails.

This issue seems to affect just the one user. And he is configured exactly the same as the others.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
A followup to my issues with 'Send As' permissions: My problem was that the account I was trying to send as was hidden (Hide from Exchange Address Book flag). Which apparently just doesn't work.

A workaround is posted here http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-send-as-a-hidden-mailbox/ but i havent gotten around to trying it yet.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ this is normal. I use a program called CATMAN from codetwo.com to sync between users

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is there a way to use the auto mapping feature in 2010 without having to grant full mailbox access?

For example, I want to my coworkers' mailbox auto added to my outlook profile, but just the root and inbox. Not the rest of his poo poo.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm trying to set a global limit on attachment size for an Exchange 2010 install using Set-TransportConfig -MaxSendSize 50MB

The behavior I want is for the users to get an NDR if their email exceeds the limit, but instead users are getting a message from Outlook when attaching the file that says "Attachment Exceeds allowable limit", and the attachment is not attached.

All the Outlook clients are in cached mode. Am I doing this incorrectly?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Why do you want the NDR? This way is better imho. But anyway to get what you want I think put the limit on the send conncetor Set-SendConnector –Identity cocksucker –MaxMessageSize 50MB

I want the users to get an ndr that explains how to use a file sharing doodad. My hope we'll get less support calls from a comprehensive ndr than the prompt.

How can I apply this to all users for ever?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

In the example command NevergirlsOFFICIAL gave, 'cocksucker' is the name of the send-connector, not your end user. I could see how this would be confusing.

Setting it on the send-connector should apply to everyone, as long as you understand which send-connector your users are utilizing.

haha. Shoulda checked the cmdlet out. Cheers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ You are exactly correct. The issue is they log onto a new PC and Outlook starts building the local cache, which could be several gigs.

There is a stack of throttling options in Exchange, but I would need to rate-limit the Outlook clients themselves.

This might be something I just have to wear until we roll out Office 2013+ which has better Cached Mode controls.

I should have been clearer in my original post that I was already using cached mode. Thankyou for your responses though!

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

How about deploy outlook via RemoteApp so the outlook client just runs in online mode someplace local to the exchange server

Nice!

I don't have the CALs though. Plus our DB application needs to be able to interact with a local copy of Outlook.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It's not as bad as you think.

I'm just going to have to wear the cache issue for now.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I am, using exactly that method linked. I'm not sure that it actually prevents a user from entering their password details into the app (and in turn having those details sent to the 3rd party server) it only blocks the sync being made on the server side.

Does anyone care about this? My boss does, which is why I've done it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So apparently one of our highly paid consultants receives our attachments as "winmail.dat" files. He's using Mail for OSX. This is seemingly a notorious problem.

According to a bunch of random blogs, the problem lies with Exchange not sending mail in a format that can be properly read. I keep seeing "TNEF" mentioned when sending RTF formatted emails.

What, if anything, do I actually need to change to ensure this guy can receive whatever garbage we're trying to send him? 90% of our mail is in HTML format, which is pretty standard, I would have thought.

Bonus: The apple support forums might be the worst place on the internet. Why even post there if "buy an android" is going to be every answer?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I believe the message body displays fine but the attachments arrive as winmail.dat. It could be some or all of the attachments.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
In my tests wiht this guy I create a new, standard HTML message.

I wonder if it's our mailgateway malforming the messages? We use M86's Mailmarshal which as far as I can tell, transports all mail back to 2002 before delivering it.

Edit - aha I can see items in Mailmarshal with winmail.dat attachments before they've even been delivered to the recipient!

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 18, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
"never use exchange rich-text format". I'll give it a whirl.

Edit - problem solved.

Swink fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 25, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
You can also use set-mailboxautoreplyconfiguration if you don't want to talk to the user.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ our office shuts down over Christmas and we have a policy of all staff having an out of office. I use this cmdlet to set and enable the message for all staff, then disable it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Any of you use Mimecast for mail archiving? I need to archive all mail for 7 years and I'm getting sick of storing it locally.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ how many users?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Basic q: if I don't have circular logging enabled, what process prevents the disk from filling up with logs?

What truncates the old logs?

Also: any book suggestions for bringing myself up to speed with Exchange?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Our deployment has the Databases on D and the logs in the same folder.

The logs exploded after I migrated a 10gb mailbox to another DB and filled the disk. Our backup wasn't able to run with the mailboxes unmounted. Good times.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We do something similar using journaling. All our mail is forwarded to our 'archive' mailbox.

The archive has no retention policy, all the rest of the mailboxes do.

This is Exchange 2010 on premise.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

idk if this belongs in this thread but:

I have an RDS server where people can run Office applications including Outlook*. With Exchange Online, Outlook runs like poo poo unless I have cached mode enabled. So I have cached mode enabled and it's eating up a bunch of space quickly with the OSTs.

My question: what's the Right Thing to do here?

* lmk if I need to explain why we're doing this to begin with

If you have Outloook 2013+ you can only sync a week\month's worth of mail in the cache. It will increase slower but if your people have multi-gig mailboxes you'll buy yourself some time.

Auto-archiving older mail, perhaps?

You're gonna have a great time if your users do what mine do, and add each other's mailboxes. You'll end up storing everyones mail 50 times in various OSTs. Hurrah!

Edit - I assume Outlook is required to be in RDS. But you could run it locally and sync via Outlook Anywhere.

Swink fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
On Prem Exchange and Sharepoint must be the biggest drag on their support.

Question: I need a way to mark an incoming email based on which alias smtp address was used. I've got users with multiple alias' but the users aren't able to tell which address the sender used. Is this doable? I'd just want to append a text-flag to the end of the email or something.

I'm on Exchange 2010

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

TEAH SYAG posted:

Heh, my company has done quite a few projects to pull O365 back on premise for clients in the last 2 years.

What are the usual reasons they want to come back on-prem? My company is considering it and I'm struggling to find reasons not to do it. I wouldnt mind some stories from the trenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I had that symptom when a user had a shared calendar attached to their outlook of a user that no longer existed.

Mostt times if the old user was removed the issue was gone, sometimes I had to configure the setting to not cache shared mailboxes before it went.