Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

The Danish Valhalla comic also gets into those (judging by the wikipedia article about it, since I've never read a one of 'em), as well as Thor and Loki at Utgard-Loki's castle, which is probably my favorite Thor tale I've heard so far.

That's the one where giants troll Thor into drinking the sea and lifting Jormungandr, but poo poo their pants when he almost sort of does it

Spoilering because while yes it's an ancient myth, but it's fun if you're hearing it for the first time

Is that the same myth where Loki is in a foot race with Thought or something like that? Takes place at a feast, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that the same myth where Loki is in a foot race with Thought or something like that? Takes place at a feast, right?

Thjalfi, but yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Loki's challenge was trying to eat more than someone who turned out to be fire, I think.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Catfishenfuego posted:

I for one want a story that truly grasps the grandiose seriousness of Norse mythology, perhaps by adapting the story where Thor dresses up as a hot woman for a fake marriage and beats up giants to get his hammer back or the story where Loki fucks a horse.

They actually did the former one! (well, in Marvel, so I'm sure some liberties were taken and it doesn't match 1:1 with the actual myths)

from The Mighty Thor 12.1

And googling the latter finds that Sleipnir is around in Marvel and has two origins, one with a bunch of magic bullshit and one where Loki fucks a horse. In the Marvel Pet Handbook, which is a thing I just learned exists, Marvel dances around this, because of course

Like, they don't mention it in his "History" but right up there in "relatives", WELP.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:lol::lol: I fuckin' knew it. There's no way they wouldn't keep that part of the Sleipnir story.
:horse::horse:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TwoPair posted:

Like, they don't mention it in his "History" but right up there in "relatives", WELP.
The way they tell it in the history section is the same way it's usually told in the myth. It's not like it's not obvious what happened when Loki turns into a mare, lures away a stallion and comes back with a colt.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I love comic book power rankings. Spider-Horse can gallop at the speed of light and his speed is still listed as 6 out of 10.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I remember reading Gaiman's book on Norse mythology and discovering that (a) Loki seduced that horse and (b) the whole thing happened because the Asgardians wanted to build a wall around their kingdom and not pay for it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I remember reading Gaiman's book on Norse mythology and discovering that (a) Loki seduced that horse and (b) the whole thing happened because the Asgardians wanted to build a wall around their kingdom and not pay for it.

Wow strong Pence and Trump vibes.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Threep posted:

The way they tell it in the history section is the same way it's usually told in the myth. It's not like it's not obvious what happened when Loki turns into a mare, lures away a stallion and comes back with a colt.

It's never actually confirmed in any of the legends, Loki used a "ham", essentially a changeling suit, to change into the mare, returned months later with a foal and an oddly expanded suit.

Obviously, Loki denied everything and nobody believed him.

Sleipner is actually a pretty cool horse, it can ride anywhere, much like Thor's rams, in any world, it serves as Odin's primary mean of transportation. It was said, that it had a leg in each world.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone who cares, it was a small webcomic published on Live Journal (a million years ago) called Loli Loves Venom (yes, that was its name, but it was wholesome) and it was the creation of now industry veteran Joana Lafuente (amazing colorist, and artist). Can only be found in Web Archive these days.

Obviously, amateurish by professional standards, but it was a cute thing from way back when people made webcomics for fun.

It wasn't this, it's called Spider-Man and Venom: Double Trouble.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azubah posted:

It wasn't this, it's called Spider-Man and Venom: Double Trouble.

Oops. Didn't know that one actually, and it looks neat from whatever images are online. I don't generally like Gurihiru on art, but on this sort of thing they are a good fit and bonus point that it's not the usual attempt at generic anime inspired art. I'll be checking it out, thanks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Right down to the incessant lying.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Agaragon posted:

I love comic book power rankings. Spider-Horse can gallop at the speed of light and his speed is still listed as 6 out of 10.

The marvel power grid system is based on a 1-7 scale with a 6 for speed being lightspeed and 7 being faster than light or teleportation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

It would be like if Trump asked the mexicans to build his wall and promised Ivanka Trump as payment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alhazred posted:

It would be like if Trump asked the mexicans to build his wall and promised Ivanka Trump as payment.

Except nobody would take that deal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

The Danish Valhalla comic also gets into those (judging by the wikipedia article about it, since I've never read a one of 'em), as well as Thor and Loki at Utgard-Loki's castle, which is probably my favorite Thor tale I've heard so far.

The Valhalla comic is really good, partly because it doesn't shy away from the fact that the norse gods were stupid assholes:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Matt Fraction wrote a mini series that goes by varying names, the most common one being Ages of Thunder, that retells many of those classic norse myths and ends with Thor being de-godded for all the murder. They do the wall thing, the bride thing, the sowing loki's mouth, etc. There's a lot of meta-text about the power of unreliable narration in myths and how those might be affecting the events, and Loki was still a big villain back then so he's more of a prick than he is in the usual retellings, but it's still an interesting look.

Certainly better than his run on the main book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Matt Fraction wrote a mini series that goes by varying names, the most common one being Ages of Thunder, that retells many of those classic norse myths and ends with Thor being de-godded for all the murder. They do the wall thing, the bride thing, the sowing loki's mouth, etc. There's a lot of meta-text about the power of unreliable narration in myths and how those might be affecting the events, and Loki was still a big villain back then so he's more of a prick than he is in the usual retellings, but it's still an interesting look.

Certainly better than his run on the main book.

Was that part of Marvel or an indie thing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Was that part of Marvel or an indie thing?

It was Marvel, used the branding and the character designs and all, but its status in continuity is deliberately vague.

Here it is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It was Marvel, used the branding and the character designs and all, but its status in continuity is deliberately vague.

Here it is

Cool, thanks. For anyone else interested it's also on Marvel Unlimited under the title Thor: Ages of Thunder.

Also Marvel should hire me to go through and properly sort their titles, what's even more annoying than having a half dozen different titles called Amazing Spider-Man? having half under A for Amazing and half under T for The Amazing.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

iirc some of the Aesir just seeming like drunk rear end in a top hat idiots all the time may also be because a lot of the stories we get are from post-Christian influence, where pagan gods were made to be mocked and reviled but that may just be some post doc thesis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least some of the myths we have come from the people writing down the myths trying to own people they don't like. For example, Ares was the patron god of Sparta, which Athens did not get along with, so all the surviving Athenian Greek myths (which is most of what we have) paint Ares as a big dumb angry idiot who gets owned all the time.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

At least some of the myths we have come from the people writing down the myths trying to own people they don't like. For example, Ares was the patron god of Sparta, which Athens did not get along with, so all the surviving Athenian Greek myths (which is most of what we have) paint Ares as a big dumb angry idiot who gets owned all the time.

yeah but sparta sucks though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

akulanization posted:

They invented the pithy comeback though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

akulanization posted:

Counterpoint - Sparta was actually more progressive than Athens when it came to the rights of women.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the gently caress Athens?

quote:

Unlike women in Athens, if a Spartan woman became the heiress of her father because she had no living brothers to inherit (an epikleros), the woman was not required to divorce her current spouse in order to marry her nearest paternal relative

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

they were a society based on the brutal repression of a massive slave underclass. you do not in fact have to hand it to them.

athens is also pretty lame to be clear, but sparta is one of the most systematically evil societies to ever exist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress Athens?

Remember Athens was really one of the first attempts at this whole society thing so they made a lot of dumb choices.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I'm starting to think these folks from ~5th century BC were totally nuts!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You'd be kinda hosed up too if your dates were counting down instead of up. I mean, what were they counting down to?!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TwoPair posted:

Wow, I'm starting to think these folks from ~5th century BC were totally nuts!
The main reason we know so much about Athens is that they were a buncha nerds who wrote a lot of poo poo down, and that poo poo was able to survive the chain of transmission to the modern day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Eh, others have said it better than me

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 22, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

akulanization posted:

they were a society based on the brutal repression of a massive slave underclass. you do not in fact have to hand it to them.

athens is also pretty lame to be clear, but sparta is one of the most systematically evil societies to ever exist.

Right. I don't wanna get too long-winded, but judging Sparta by the rights and privileges of Spartiate women (which is what that Wikipedia article is talking about) is like judging America by the rights and privileges of its multimillionaires and billionaires.

And by "massive slave underclass", something like 85% of the population within Sparta's borders were helots, their slave class. (Compare to about 30% in the American South just before the civil war.) And, the brutal repression included formalized yearly war on the helots as well as terrorization by a secret police.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

poly and open-minded posted:

iirc some of the Aesir just seeming like drunk rear end in a top hat idiots all the time may also be because a lot of the stories we get are from post-Christian influence, where pagan gods were made to be mocked and reviled but that may just be some post doc thesis.
That doesn't seem to be the case with Snorre Sturlason though.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Not really, since the vast, vast majority of women in Sparta were not Spartiate women, and so were often literally slaves who were hunted for sport. There's a good multi-part essay on why Sparta was garbage at everything they did on this blog.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is worth remembering many polytheist gods were depicted as assholes for a variety of reasons, partially to make them easier to sympathize with from a fallible mortal perspective, partially to get around the problem of evil. If the gods weren't perfect, then there was no need to think about why we didn't live in a perfect world.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

akulanization posted:

Exactly. We have a dumb way of looking at things.

"Well, the Athenians were all enlightened and their enemies were spartans, so the Spartans were the baddies, right?"

"No."

"Ohh. Then the Spartans were the good guys!"

"No. They were both awful."

"But that makes for boring movies!"

Sparta only allowed spartiate women realtive freedom because 1- It was a way to retain all power in the structure of families even after most of the men died in wars), and 2- day-to-day drudgery and amangement was seem as menial, unworthy work for a male.

It'd be like saying "Hey, we really value our latino population, they dominate 95% of the sanitation and recycling work! seems really egalitarian to me".

And, as others said, that only applied to perhaps a couple thousand wives. The vast majority of slaves and pretty much everyone in their Messenian colony was viewed as human cattle.

Oh, and even those 'liberated' spartiate women were bred against their will at the convenience of the military machine. "This guy has good shoulders, you have good hips. Your offspring will be a good soldier. Get to the rutting."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

That doesn't seem to be the case with Snorre Sturlason though.

He wrote it with respect for the takes he grew up with but he was still born almost 200 years after Iceland converted to Christianity so there was plenty of time for oral tradition to warp the original stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He wrote it with respect for the takes he grew up with but he was still born almost 200 years after Iceland converted to Christianity so there was plenty of time for oral tradition to warp the original stories.

No doubt. Some even thinks he based the myth of ragnarok on the christian apocalypse and not on norse myths.