Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

It is worth remembering many polytheist gods were depicted as assholes for a variety of reasons, partially to make them easier to sympathize with from a fallible mortal perspective, partially to get around the problem of evil. If the gods weren't perfect, then there was no need to think about why we didn't live in a perfect world.
People also liked funny stories, even back then. Especially funny stories sbout authorities like the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus, like just mentioned about the Eddas, what we think of as combined mythologies were really stitched together folk tales from a wide variety of sources over hundreds of years. Zeus was an rear end in a top hat and a gently caress up mainly because he was the patron of Olympia which had it's heyday fairly early in the city state period, so as other cities eclipsed Olympia they told their own stories that made him look foolish and by association the people of the Olympia. Just look at what a lot of us were taught about Rome, they didn't have vomitoriums or wild orgies every night and they didn't collapse because welfare efforts made the citizenry weak and lazy and unable to fight off invaders. Most of the 'scholarly' research was done during the Victorian era when the Queen of England was convinced she was Bodhicitta, famed enemy of Rome, reborn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You get lots of stuff that looks weird to modern eyes in the Sagas and monastic writings of the time. I'm sure I remember some hagiographic lineage of a king who converted to Christianity still including the whole "descended from the old gods" part. Then there's things like Irish legends that have Saint Patrick meeting and converting the last of the heroes from the Fenian cycle, giant men who had personal dealings with the Tuatha De Danann.

They were doing their own sort of thing for quite a while. It took time to settle down to "one god, denial of all others".

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's also interesting stuff in late Roman antiquity where really old folk beliefs about ghosts and things are blending oddly with newly absorbed ideas about the Christian afterlife and creating these really weird, interesting syncretis representations of death and the soul. I have a book about this around somewhere, I'll try to dig it up later.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

You get lots of stuff that looks weird to modern eyes in the Sagas and monastic writings of the time. I'm sure I remember some hagiographic lineage of a king who converted to Christianity still including the whole "descended from the old gods" part.

Constantine the Great who had a vision of Jesus appearing in his dreams didn't convert to christianity before he was on his deathbed. Then you have Rollo who gave silver to the church and warriors to Odin to ensure that he either got into paradise or valhall when he died.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nobunaga Oda was going to convert all of Japan to Christianity but Rome wouldn't give Japan special dispensation to allow divorce due to the importance of it in their politics so he ended up refusing. He then crucified 24 priests and kicked everyone but a few Jesuits out after learning of plans by Spanish missionaries to invade and force the conversion. For a long time Japan Catholicism was this very weird mix of Shinto and Buddhist beliefs mixed in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nobunaga Oda was going to convert all of Japan to Christianity but Rome wouldn't give Japan special dispensation to allow divorce due to the importance of it in their politics so he ended up refusing. He then crucified 24 priests and kicked everyone but a few Jesuits out after learning of plans by Spanish missionaries to invade and force the conversion. For a long time Japan Catholicism was this very weird mix of Shinto and Buddhist beliefs mixed in.

Kinda makes one wonder where things would have gone if that had actually happened rather than Japan going into isolation for a couple centuries

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda makes one wonder where things would have gone if that had actually happened rather than Japan going into isolation for a couple centuries

I'm sure Harry Turtledove wrote a book about it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Most of the 'scholarly' research was done during the Victorian era when the Queen of England was convinced she was Bodhicitta, famed enemy of Rome, reborn.

for my own sanity: you meant Boudicca, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

is this not a shitpost? I thought this was a joke about Henry VIII

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LordSaturn posted:

for my own sanity: you meant Boudicca, right?

is this not a shitpost? I thought this was a joke about Henry VIII

Yes, Boudicca, I couldn't quite remember the spelling so I started typing an approximation and went with the first hit. And no, the Jesuits straight up lobbied the Pope to allow the Japanese special dispensation to divorce. This was during the high point of the Catholic/Protestant civil wars in Europe so there was a mad rush on both sides to colonize new lands for both more believers and money to pay for the various wars. Portugal, where most Jesuits came from, was making money hand over fist facilitating the silk trade between Japan and China after China closed it's borders to Japan following a failed invasion. To this day there's heavy Portugese influence all throughout coastal Asia, from Macau which started as a Portugese settlement to cuisine, Tempura and Katsu are both loan European loan words, Tempura is from Tempore referring to the Latin name for the Catholic restriction on eating meat on Fridays and Katsu is form the Portugese word for cutlet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

goatface posted:

You get lots of stuff that looks weird to modern eyes in the Sagas and monastic writings of the time. I'm sure I remember some hagiographic lineage of a king who converted to Christianity still including the whole "descended from the old gods" part. Then there's things like Irish legends that have Saint Patrick meeting and converting the last of the heroes from the Fenian cycle, giant men who had personal dealings with the Tuatha De Danann.

They were doing their own sort of thing for quite a while. It took time to settle down to "one god, denial of all others".

The bible itself has lots of polytheism in it, particularly the old testament where there's gods that are acknowledged as real, but you better only be worshiping Yahweh if you know what's good for you.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Random Stranger posted:

The bible itself has lots of polytheism in it, particularly the old testament where there's gods that are acknowledged as real, but you better only be worshiping Yahweh if you know what's good for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful! posted:

There's also interesting stuff in late Roman antiquity where really old folk beliefs about ghosts and things are blending oddly with newly absorbed ideas about the Christian afterlife and creating these really weird, interesting syncretis representations of death and the soul. I have a book about this around somewhere, I'll try to dig it up later.

The absolute best unholy blending of belief systems affecting mythologies is the arthurian myths. Some of the revisions and additions happened centuries apart, and the cultural attitudes of the writers were completely alien to those that came before and after. Somehow you have this guy who was chosen by the gods, except maybe it was just the one god, working with a demon wizard, trained in rome, or was it britain, etc etc. It's so horrifically inconsistent and messy no matter which version you read. And it's one of the biggest influences on the high fantasy genre, so that weird contradictory blend of christianity, folk legends, paganism, and various other stuff is reflected in everything from Conan the Barbarian to Dungeons and Dragons to World of Warcraft.

Stories are stupid.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The absolute best unholy blending of belief systems affecting mythologies is the arthurian myths. Some of the revisions and additions happened centuries apart, and the cultural attitudes of the writers were completely alien to those that came before and after. Somehow you have this guy who was chosen by the gods, except maybe it was just the one god, working with a demon wizard, trained in rome, or was it britain, etc etc. It's so horrifically inconsistent and messy no matter which version you read. And it's one of the biggest influences on the high fantasy genre, so that weird contradictory blend of christianity, folk legends, paganism, and various other stuff is reflected in everything from Conan the Barbarian to Dungeons and Dragons to World of Warcraft.

Stories are stupid.

My favorite to think about is Perlesvaus, which is absolutely out of control and almost incoherent but super lurid and visceral, to the point that a number of scholars think the author was working through intense trauma from the Fourth Crusades, so you have in the midst of all the normal Arthurian syncretism bits and stray bobs of Middle Eastern folklore as well as a much more horrific and horrified approach to war-violence (and unfortunately a much much much more pronounced streak of anti-Semitism).

I also completely love the hagiography of Barlaam and Josaphat, a pair of mythical Christian saints whose narratives are likely very garbled retellings of the Guatama Buddha story filtered through Georgia by way of Constantinople by way Baghdadian scholars who got it from Manichean sources that got it from an Indian Mahayana text.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Batman Secret Files #3: A villain named Gunsmith who brags about being able to turn anything into a gun just made a kid shoot Batman by holding his brother hostage. This is post-Batman saving the brother.

and hey if you want to bring this from touching to unfortunately relevant to today, here's the story's ending:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

Do you have the name of the book? Sound really interesting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think the book I'm thinking of is The Ransom of the Soul: Afterlife and Wealth in Early Western Christianity by Peter Brown.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Miles Morales - Spider-Man #17

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:unsmith: I'm glad to see Miles doing so well.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't know how old he is in the comics, but definitely hear Into the Spider-verse Miles in those bubbles

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Jack Charlton, World Cup winner with England and former manager of the Republic of Ireland, died last week, and David Squires dedicated his weekly comic to him and goddamn if that last panel doesn't get my room all dusty

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

evilmiera posted:

It is worth remembering many polytheist gods were depicted as assholes for a variety of reasons, partially to make them easier to sympathize with from a fallible mortal perspective, partially to get around the problem of evil. If the gods weren't perfect, then there was no need to think about why we didn't live in a perfect world.

The venality and cruelty of the gods also reflected a more authoritarian worldview. If you read the Iliad, one of the central themes is, "the gods are tyrannical autocrats, and justly so - they are more powerful than us, and therefore it is folly to defy them". Hubris is the defining sin of ancient Greek narrative for a reason - because it reflects an ingrained social belief that trying to upset the social order and disobey your betters is dangerous and foolish.

It's explicit in a lot of ancient Greek myth and writing that the gods rule purely by virtue of their ability to exert their will with brute physical (or magical) force, not because of any extraordinary reserve of wisdom, justice, or moral rectitude. More bizarrely to our modern egalitarian worldview, this is often also presented as a natural good.

See: the myth of Arachne, where a woman who is a better weaver than Athene gets turned into a spider because she bruised a god's pride, and the moral of the story is "don't try to exceed your betters, don't act out of turn, cower before authority or you'll be punished". A lot of ancient Greek myth-making reflects a culture deeply enamoured with brutal oligarchy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I am really happy to see authors giving him moments like these. Those are some of the best Peter Parker moments and Miles getting his own is excellent.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Android Blues posted:

The venality and cruelty of the gods also reflected a more authoritarian worldview. If you read the Iliad, one of the central themes is, "the gods are tyrannical autocrats, and justly so - they are more powerful than us, and therefore it is folly to defy them". Hubris is the defining sin of ancient Greek narrative for a reason - because it reflects an ingrained social belief that trying to upset the social order and disobey your betters is dangerous and foolish.

It's explicit in a lot of ancient Greek myth and writing that the gods rule purely by virtue of their ability to exert their will with brute physical (or magical) force, not because of any extraordinary reserve of wisdom, justice, or moral rectitude. More bizarrely to our modern egalitarian worldview, this is often also presented as a natural good.

See: the myth of Arachne, where a woman who is a better weaver than Athene gets turned into a spider because she bruised a god's pride, and the moral of the story is "don't try to exceed your betters, don't act out of turn, cower before authority or you'll be punished". A lot of ancient Greek myth-making reflects a culture deeply enamoured with brutal oligarchy.

This. I can only suggest John Dolan's "War Nerd's Iliad", as it re-tells the story in a fun, pulpy, interesting fashion divorced from the classics wankery. The gods are like a quarrelsome mafia family, Zeus not smarter or wiser than anyone else, just -stronger-, and mortals both just and foul, are just excuses for them to do their thing.

Apollo remembers that day very well. It is like a happy song in his heart, because now it will all be avenged. All these things work out, in the long run… for the gods. He remembers leaning into the wind that day, keening with the simple blood joy of a falcon, watching the Greeks run through the alleys of the town. He knew it was all to his advantage.
The girl can’t see that, of course. There are always casualties. Apollo turns his falcon eye to her for a moment, as she watches her father approach Agamemnon’s tent. Her sorrow interests him, as a musician. What happened to her interests him, as a tactician. Otherwise—just another weeping woman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sephyr posted:

This. I can only suggest John Dolan's "War Nerd's Iliad", as it re-tells the story in a fun, pulpy, interesting fashion divorced from the classics wankery. The gods are like a quarrelsome mafia family, Zeus not smarter or wiser than anyone else, just -stronger-, and mortals both just and foul, are just excuses for them to do their thing.

Apollo remembers that day very well. It is like a happy song in his heart, because now it will all be avenged. All these things work out, in the long run… for the gods. He remembers leaning into the wind that day, keening with the simple blood joy of a falcon, watching the Greeks run through the alleys of the town. He knew it was all to his advantage.
The girl can’t see that, of course. There are always casualties. Apollo turns his falcon eye to her for a moment, as she watches her father approach Agamemnon’s tent. Her sorrow interests him, as a musician. What happened to her interests him, as a tactician. Otherwise—just another weeping woman.

This sounds dope, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Posted by the same artist, two years apart:

Source:

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1288474386995933185

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mikl posted:

Posted by the same artist, two years apart:

Source:

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1288474386995933185

I remember seeing a version of that first comic that extended for several more panels as the guy admitted more and more to wanting to be a girl, of course since I saw it on 4chan it also got more and more perverted with each additional panel

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This was nice.
So, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle wanted to go to the beach, but it was too crowded, so they decide to go to one year in the past, where there wasn't anybody. Problem is, 5 other future versions of Blue and Gold decided to show up (and also King Shark). But before the Blues and Golds team up, present Booster and present Beetle see a couple of old men and...

I love that these two dorks are best friends FOR. EVER.
Edit: It's from DC Cybernetic Summer Special.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 9, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm so glad that they fixed that. They're the best bromance in the history of comic books.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Skeets getting around on a gold-colored walker is the detail that seals it.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Sock him in the... puss

this clearly has another meaning I'm not familiar with

e- Mouth?!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Sock him in the... puss

this clearly has another meaning I'm not familiar with

e- Mouth?!

Have you heard the phrase "sour-puss?" I think that's the most prevalent contemporary usage of the term in the context of the mouth/face.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do NOT google Cookie Puss

You will only find more photos of Cookie Puss

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

How Wonderful! posted:

Have you heard the phrase "sour-puss?" I think that's the most prevalent contemporary usage of the term in the context of the mouth/face.

I always assumed sour puss meant acting like a cranky cat. :blush:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
beagle puss?

not ringing any bells?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ly35NQfZw8

P-p-picklepuss!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Daffy just straight up murdered those people.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I really want to know what the knight licking the candy cane's name is. He's right at the front of the closet, so you know they had a ripping name for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If it didn’t have that zoom in, an avatar of Neon Noodle would be perfect. Snake Eyes is a pretty great one too.