Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Unwomanly Face of War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well drat

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drat...

One grandfather was a medic in WWII, the other drove an ambulance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We really don't acknowledge enough the price the USSR paid during WW2, a good chunk of that was because of lovely management by the people in charge, but another good chunk was people trying to do the best they could to protect their own homes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Friend sent me these pages of Infinite Frontier.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi gay.
I'm son.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People are so mad about this, I had to bail on a previously decent FB group.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I can't imagine any of them gave a poo poo about Alan Scott a week ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine any of them gave a poo poo about Alan Scott a week ago.

Well, they cared in 2011 when E2 Alan Scott was also gay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well, they cared in 2011 when E2 Alan Scott was also gay.

Maybe? did anyone actually care about Earth 2?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Does it count if I cared when Tom Taylor was blowing it up? Because that was a fun read, though I guess E2 itself didn't last long

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

There was a pretty stupid conservative uproar over it. The retailer forums had a thread where shops were sharing their stories about idiots trying to buy all the copies. I had several go missing and one Karen wanted me to destroy them to keep them out of the hands of children.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There was a pretty stupid conservative uproar over it. The retailer forums had a thread where shops were sharing their stories about idiots trying to buy all the copies. I had several go missing and one Karen wanted me to destroy them to keep them out of the hands of children.

Wait, people were buying every copy to make sure no one read them? Yeah, that's how you teach DC not to publish a second printing of something, buy every copy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't know the character well, but was this a natural character moment for them? Cause it feels like it was.

If morons are gonna expose their whole rear end as homophobes over innocent poo poo like this, loving let em reap what they sow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I don't know the character well, but was this a natural character moment for them? Cause it feels like it was.

Kinda sorta? The character (well this version at least) disappeared at the start of the New 52, and as other people noted his new Earth 2 version was gay (which, as noted, caused a stir). Then that book got canned and I don't think Alan Scott really showed up anywhere for a long time. Then his Earth 1 self was in a Valentine's Day anthology a few years ago where they dropped a hint about him being closeted when visiting an old war buddy and everyone was like "oh snap, are they gonna?" And now he's back in the universe and well, here we are.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 4, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Wait, people were buying every copy to make sure no one read them? Yeah, that's how you teach DC not to publish a second printing of something, buy every copy.

Non comic people don't know these things. The same thing happened when young Iceman came out. I was not working the day it hit the news and when I got in on that Friday all the remaining copies had been stolen.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm pretty sure this was so much the case that SOMETHING along those lines was in the big DC Encyclopedia I had in high school. Probably false memory, though.

A good rendition here, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IIRC the logic behind turning Alan Scott gay was to "make up for" wiping his gay son from continuity with yet another reboot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought it was super sweet, and having Obsidian help his dad cut through the noise was very touching, as was tying it to the whole Green Lantern "overcoming fear" shtick.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
That just seemed so natural. Some of the characters they've had come out it seemed, I don't want to say forced, but it just seemed to flow wrong. Iceman stood out to me the way they handled it. This seemed perfectly in line with what we see and encounter every day. An old guy from a time where that lifestyle was demonized and even some of the people who were gay thought they were abominations etc... This was heartwarming.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comfortador posted:

That just seemed so natural. Some of the characters they've had come out it seemed, I don't want to say forced, but it just seemed to flow wrong. Iceman stood out to me the way they handled it. This seemed perfectly in line with what we see and encounter every day. An old guy from a time where that lifestyle was demonized and even some of the people who were gay thought they were abominations etc... This was heartwarming.

Yeah, I think later writers handled it a lot better and I like Iceman being gay, and, while it almost certainly wasn't the intention of previous writers and artists, there's a lot of old stuff with Iceman that you can point to as hinting at it, but Bendis really, really loving whiffed it with the revelation.

I think part of the issue was dealing with the time displaced X-Men in general and trying to both make them teenagers from the 60's like they originally were and teenagers from the 90s like the ever shifting timeline of Marvel forced them to be. Although now a 16 year old Iceman would have been 16 in like the early 2000s, unless Xavier was openly homophobic I can't imagine him not coming out on his own while at his hosed up high school with 5 students.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think later writers handled it a lot better and I like Iceman being gay, and, while it almost certainly wasn't the intention of previous writers and artists, there's a lot of old stuff with Iceman that you can point to as hinting at it, but Bendis really, really loving whiffed it with the revelation.

The Cerebro podcast has a lot of good discussion about this in their Iceman episode. They come to the conclusion that it made a lot of sense for Iceman being gay after all and it wasn't that well "revealed" but on the other hand, only
a big writer like Bendis could get away with doing that and not having it retconned.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, did Obsidian's costume always look that much like Mr Miracle?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Also, did Obsidian's costume always look that much like Mr Miracle?

Pretty much.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Skwirl posted:

This is SPOT on. I've been a fan of Iceman's since I began collecting comics (I actually have a soft spot for the original 5 in general) and the way they tied it in to all his miscellaneous women problems was masterful, and it seamlessly fit right into the characterization. Then there was that little back and forth with his former self where adult Iceman acted like none of what younger Iceman said was anything rational and that just... sucked. It seemed so ham-handed. It's been awhile since I read it in defense, but it just stuck out to me as dumb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the JSA thing: I also really like the idea of Wildcat and GL at a bar in the 40s, and Ted failing to be restrained from kicking some bigots' asses for calling Alan the F word.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound dismissive, those panels are great.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gaz-L posted:

On the JSA thing: I also really like the idea of Wildcat and GL at a bar in the 40s, and Ted failing to be restrained from kicking some bigots' asses for calling Alan the F word.

Depending on the bar and how far into the 40s they are, dear Ted might be jumping the gun here. While it was one of the most common terms for straight people to refer to gay men in the first half of the 20th century (often value neutral), it was also very very broadly adopted, often admiringly, by gay men themselves. It had a rather different connotation in the 40s than it does today (I'm teaching queer amlit this semester and just covered this exact issue-- it can be quite shocking for students in 2021 to encounter pre-WWII texts in which it's thrown around liberally, even lovingly!)

Check out George Chauncey's magisterial Gay New York for more info!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Depending on the bar and how far into the 40s they are, dear Ted might be jumping the gun here. While it was one of the most common terms for straight people to refer to gay men in the first half of the 20th century (often value neutral), it was also very very broadly adopted, often admiringly, by gay men themselves. It had a rather different connotation in the 40s than it does today (I'm teaching queer amlit this semester and just covered this exact issue-- it can be quite shocking for students in 2021 to encounter pre-WWII texts in which it's thrown around liberally, even lovingly!)

Thanks! That's actually pretty interesting, I figured that might not have been the right touchstone for a slur for the time period, but these things are always more complex than you think!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 4, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

On the other hand WILDCAT BABY YEEEEEEEEEHAW

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was my main point, yes. Give us Ted Grant beating up homophobes, coward Tynion!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alan isn't even a real Green Lantern, he's a fake, what is he going on about having no fear?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so after the success of the first Tim Burton Batman film there was a relatively short lived newspaper comic based on it, the final storyline in it involving Two-Face and Mad Hatter is quite thread relevant;

courtesy of http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2008/09/obscurity-of-day-batman.html

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wow, William Messner-Loebs, Carmine Infantino, and John Nyberg? That's a dream team. Thanks for sharing that, I'd never even heard of the strip. Apparently it was drawn by Marshall Rogers for a bit? That's awesome.

drat, actually, this would be a really great fit for the comic strip megathread. Lemme do some poking around.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

... yeah, this is so obviously written by Bill Loebs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
God the Arkham staff are just the WORST.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

God the Arkham staff are just the WORST.

Do you have any idea what the turnover at Arkham is like? They can't keep anybody more than two months

because they keep getting killed by the inmates in breakouts.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ok, I'm adding this strip into my Comic Strip thread rotation for a little trial run. If you want to follow along I'm starting here.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Infinitum posted:

If morons are gonna expose their whole rear end as homophobes over innocent poo poo like this, loving let em reap what they sow.

I remember being bothered by it the first time around. I felt it was handled very poorly.
They made a really big deal about one of the BIG THREE was coming out as gay, and most people just assumed Wonder Woman and left it at that.
Then it happens and it was Green Lantern, not usually who I think of as in the big three, and not regular GL it was the nonstandard old timey magic one I really liked.
Doing this kinda got rid of the original characters son, another character i liked, who was already gay.
Then in the first issue he gets engaged and they kill of his fiancee in a train wreck, and as far as I remember, him being gay never really came up again until the fiancee came back as some kinda elemental ghost.
Like why even bother?

I'd rather just have a new gay ( regular person gay, not sitcom gay) green lantern, and push the old ones into the background for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still convinced that WB want to be able to have their cake and eat it with Wonder Woman. Sure, you can have little references here and there to her being queer, but the idea of her having a female (or NB) love interest in the present day? LOL, nope (I realise G Willow Wilson tried to do this in her run, but Atlantiades' affections for Diana were almost entirely presented as unrequited and there was way more about Diana and Steve). Come on, let her and Etta hit a lesbian bar in DC or something.