Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admiralty Flag posted:

I was disappointed by the shallowness of the Ms. Marvel miniseries. You know what might help take some of the bad taste out of my mouth? The panels where Kamala's mother finally "confronts" her about what's she's been doing all this time and lets her know what she thinks about it. It's just a couple of panels IIRC but really touching. Anyone have them?

Most comic movies or tv shows will be shallower than their source material because they're trying to condense dozens or hundreds of issues into a small chunk.

The Boys is the exception where it's way more fleshed out than its source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
god, it was just so stupid how Ahmed's run retconned that

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

Most comic movies or tv shows will be shallower than their source material because they're trying to condense dozens or hundreds of issues into a small chunk.

Thank you, kind goon! Longer than I remember it but just as good.

Of course things will be shallower in that sense, but I mean the show was shallower as consumed media, in that it missed the opportunity to really meaningfully comment on any of the social issues it raised -- or that were raised in the original. But I've deleted the next two paragraphs I wrote about the show because this isn't the thread for it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Push El Burrito posted:

The Boys the TV show is "what if Garth Ennis had a ruthless and omnipotent editor" and it shows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"What if Garth Ennis didn't suck"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Superman - Space Age #1: Lex Luthor has decided to basically turn the world into Fallout by triggering nuclear war between the US and USSR (this story is set in the 60s btw) and he'll be the ruler after everyone gets out of the vaults that he built. So he stages an attack that wipes Coast City off the map. Meanwhile Clark Kent isn't Superman yet, he's just been practicing honing his powers with a hologram of Jor-El at the Fortress of Solitude

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goddamn Mike Allred can draw the hell out of Silver Age Superman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's a really good book. We'll have to wait for part two, but I think this is going to be a modern classic Superman story.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Multi-Mind Mayhem

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nightwing (2016) - Issue 100

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
God dammit. I need to call my father and tell him I love him now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

God dammit. I need to call my father and tell him I love him now.

I also need to call this guy's father

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
She-Hulk #9: um... here's some backstory

This may not exactly fit here but it's too good a sequence for me to not post about it in one of these threads

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah that’s really good!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rainbow Rowell is really good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Action Comics Annual 2022: Another kind of long setup to avoid posting too much so work with me. A young Clark Kent uses his abilities to cheat at a soccer game (by using a puff of air to steal the ball away from a kid) and his mom gives him a talking to. Clark explains that he did it not just because he doesn't want to hide his abilities but mainly because Caleb, the kid he stole the ball from in the game, is a huge jerk. Just then, Caleb proves him right kicks the ball at Clark but hits his mom in the back of the head which knocks her wig off and reveals to everyone (including Clark) that she's actually been undergoing chemo and is totally bald. Clark is rightfully pissed but Martha forbids him from doing anything back... but that night he decides to get revenge by sneaking out to Caleb's house and destroying his bike, but when he gets over there he finds that Caleb's dad is an abusive alcoholic, and then to top it off has to save him when he passes out at the wheel and almost runs his truck off the road.

ANYWAY I told you that story to tell you this one

:siren: By the way, just a heads up if you don't read forum announcements, apparently imgur is gonna start wiping images that aren't associated with registered user accounts from there on 5/15 so a bunch of stuff might start disappearing from these image threads (hell, the whole forums tbh) so you might want to start right-clickin' if you're worried about anything particularly poignant disappearing. If you're a regular uploader to these threads, you should probably make an account there or find another image host to use before posting more poo poo here. :siren:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
always nice to see a writer realize Superman's greatest power is making other people better

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Matt's best friend Foggy Nelson is going through chemo and Matt wants to be there for him.
As someone who has struggled with sensory issues, this hits surprisingly hard.
Source: Daredevil (2011) #28

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Agreed, couple months ago I had pneumonia and honestly the only symptom I had that made it feel any worse than the average cold I've had(and indeed the only reason I went to a doctor and found out what I had) was that the bacterial mass that was inside one of my lungs from it was releasing this absolutely horrendous odor that would waft up from my throat, one that I imagine probably wouldn't be too far off from what Matt was smelling there

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That makes the recent issue of DD revelation about Foggy even more depressing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That same run has the issue (maybe even the same one, actually) where Foggy reveals the way he copes with the cancer and chemo is picturing the chemo as Daredevil fighting the tumour.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I absolutely love that Mark Waid run. I think most Daredevil runs are great/amazing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mark Waid is amazing at turning superheroes into people. Really love his stuff.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ikoku Nikki (translated as Difficult Country Diary) recently ended. Its last chapter was beautiful and I’d like to post my favorite sequence from it… except it’s 24 pages long. I posted the most important part, but even that’s seven pages. Here’s the full sequence if you’re interested.

The comic is about a girl whose parents die in a car crash so she goes to live with her estranged aunt.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is from a mostly comedy manga (so read right to left) about a fictitious family, but shortly after the Ukraine war started this particular chapter was written about one of the main character's past.

I re-reread it yesterday and that final panel still hits strong.

Minor context: the two characters pictured are military for the two different sides of what was once a whole country (basically fictional East/West Germany). One just captured the other.

from Spy x Family v10

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

This is from a mostly comedy manga (so read right to left) about a fictitious family, but shortly after the Ukraine war started this particular chapter was written about one of the main character's past.

I re-reread it yesterday and that final panel still hits strong.

Minor context: the two characters pictured are military for the two different sides of what was once a whole country (basically fictional East/West Germany). One just captured the other.

from Spy x Family v10

I was like "huh, this looks like one of the guys from Spy X Family" and then I got to the bottom. In my defense I haven't read since they tried to get Anya into that school.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The ending of Do a Powerbomb!, a comic about a wrestling tournament put on by a necromancer by Daniel Warren Johnson.

Spoiler for the plot.

The girl's mom dies at the start of the book and the girl gets into a tournament where the winner will be able to bring someone back to life.

Spoiler for the panels showing the ending of the story.

They lost their final match against God. God will not resurrect her mom, but...

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Uthor posted:

The ending of Do a Powerbomb!, a comic about a wrestling tournament put on by a necromancer by Daniel Warren Johnson.

Spoiler for the plot.

The girl's mom dies at the start of the book and the girl gets into a tournament where the winner will be able to bring someone back to life.

I ordered and read this at the mention of it on a D&D podcast I listen to and it wrecked me.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From Mike Maihack (Twitter / Instagram), he always does a little Supergirl / Batgirl comic during the holidays (any holiday, not just Christmas). Usually I post them in the funny panels thread, but I felt these would be more appropriate here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://twitter.com/tanookitalez/status/1742005367599681663

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

It's nice to see Reed and Sue being a functional couple with a deep relationship and part of a big happy family.
Source: Fantastic Four (2022) #17

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've liked every issue of the current FF run, sweet covers too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

I've liked every issue of the current FF run, sweet covers too.

The Doom issue where he fails at one-upping Richards and loving Marty McFlys himself because he can't live with the knowledge he failed is both hilarious and so very Doom.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TwoPair posted:

The Doom issue where he fails at one-upping Richards and loving Marty McFlys himself because he can't live with the knowledge he failed is both hilarious and so very Doom.

Pretend I posted* the Twisted Toyfare Theater panels where all the Marvel characters go through a time warp back to college, Doom meets his nerdy younger self, strangles him for insolence, and then pops out of existence due to paradox.

(* Because I can't find it through Google image search)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uthor posted:

Spoiler for the plot.

Wow. Who knew the story of Israel could be so inspiring?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Judge Dredd - America, by John Wagner and Colin MacNeil. Neo-noir doesn't get much better than this.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Samovar posted:

Wow. Who knew the story of Israel could be so inspiring?

Are you confusing Daniel Warren Johnson with Bill Willingham?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's a reference to Jacob rasslin' with God.

"Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”" (Genesis 32:28)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chapter 103 of Dragon Ball Super dropped, and it's likely the last that Akira Toriyama wrote before his passing

Acts as a bit of an epilogue to the current arc, and ends with this series of panels - and the first time Goku meets Pan, his grand daughter

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Those are good panels to end on :unsmith: