Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nahxela posted:

From Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1, if I recall correctly.
Linked for length: http://i.imgur.com/UVuKI.jpg

Peter David, the writer of the script actually made some remarks about this story:
Jesus, I really shouldn't have read that at work. Good job I have Hay Fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my god. Why do I keep reading this thread, knowing the poo poo that's posted in here. I'm all verklempt...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nahxela posted:

Peter David, the writer of the script actually made some remarks about this story:

Peter David is a drat good author who doesn't get the recognition he deserves. A lot of his stuff is really silly (which is probably why) but now and then he nails human emotion perfectly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The death of Johnny Storm was a real emotional punch, but I always though Hickman really knocked it out the next issue, showing the FF's various grieving processes. For example, sometimes you just gotta hit something, and nobody knows that better than Banner and Thor.

I think the best part is Hulk stopping Thor and then seeing that Ben isn't even doing that much damage before he just collapses.

Fantastic Four #588

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

[Images removed for length.]

I love it when they write Thor as a big, strong motherfucker who's incredibly compassionate. You don't want to turn him into a touchy-feely hippie, but he can be such an incredible symbol of sad strength. Even Hulk is doing the big, strong, silent, sympathetic thing in that sequence, and it's fantastic. Not even wildly out of character for the Hulk, even. :3:

Mister Roboto posted:

Peter David is a drat good author who doesn't get the recognition he deserves. A lot of his stuff is really silly (which is probably why) but now and then he nails human emotion perfectly.

People see Peter David having fun with puns and forget that he wrote incredible stuff like "The Death of Jean DeWolff", which still makes me sad when I think about it. The guy's got talent, and he's gotten a lot of people having lovely attitudes toward him just because he was originally in the sales department.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 15, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

People see Peter David having fun with puns and forget that he wrote incredible stuff like "The Death of Jean DeWolff", which still makes me sad when I think about it. The guy's got talent, and he's gotten a lot of people having lovely attitudes toward him just because he was originally in the sales department.

I knew pretty much the entire plot beat for beat (including who died) when I went in to read the Death of Jean Dewolff, and I was still on the edge of my seat and taken in by the mystery and genuinely worried for the characters. It's a really great story, and full of amazing character moments.

Having said that, Peter David's written some lovely things since then, including that godawful run on Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man not so long ago. X-factor is usually a good read, but I don't think it's for everyone, and it has its lousy moments. I'm not saying Peter David went all Frank Miller or anything, but I can't blame anyone who doesn't care about him nowadays.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

I think the best part is Hulk stopping Thor and then seeing that Ben isn't even doing that much damage before he just collapses.

Fantastic Four #588

That's some good male-bonding support, superhero style. If I were bigger and tougher, that's totally what I'd do to help a friend who needed to let it all out: Do it, I can take it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure Ben Grimm is one of the very best and one of the very best used characters in comics. That scene is a real tearjerker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Roboto posted:

That's some good male-bonding support, superhero style. If I were bigger and tougher, that's totally what I'd do to help a friend who needed to let it all out: Do it, I can take it.

That whole issue was great with minimal dialogue. It also ended with Pete talking to Franklin and it is really awesome.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

TwoPair posted:

The death of Johnny Storm was a real emotional punch, but I always though Hickman really knocked it out the next issue, showing the FF's various grieving processes. For example, sometimes you just gotta hit something, and nobody knows that better than Banner and Thor.

Fantastic Four #588

The little blue Johnny Storm is a model of his memorial. I didn't realize this until I read through the script (posted in the TPB), but throughout all the issue Thing never looks straight at Johnny's memorial or the casket. He's just growing super mad over three-ish weeks and gets to finally let it all out on Hulk. Great scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The little blue Johnny Storm is a model of his memorial. I didn't realize this until I read through the script (posted in the TPB), but throughout all the issue Thing never looks straight at Johnny's memorial or the casket. He's just growing super mad over three-ish weeks and gets to finally let it all out on Hulk. Great scene.

He also feels that it is all his fault as he was not able to help due to being human at the time. In an earlier issue he took a potion that made him human for a week. During that week he had a great time walking without being starred at, going to a ball game, playing poker with his friends, and seeing Alicia. However then they were attacked by the negative zone while he was still human. He became the thing again right as Johnny closed the portal.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nahxela posted:

The art for this is beautiful, and the fact ther there are no less than three different styles on display that each support their own bit of the narritive is what knocks it out of the park for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure Ben Grimm is one of the very best and one of the very best used characters in comics. That scene is a real tearjerker.

He really is. It's so easy to gently caress up 'man or monster' concepts but somehow Ben is constantly done as a phenomenal character.

Hulk's been hosed up a lot but that scene really was perfect for a character like that, he's been through it all, he knows exactly what it's like to have all that rage you have no clue what to do with, so he just lets pretty much the only dude in the Marvel universe who gets it do what he needs because he can handle it.

Really that whole arc was a wonderful handling of the concept.

Also yea, Spider-Man Annual's thing will always be one of the most iconic tearjerker moments to a lot of comic fans. I also dig the Batman posted from the new issue, I always love when Bruce explains his deal. I always thought it was super easy for Superman and Wonder Woman and the like to say 'don't kill' because they quite literally are 'above it', they might as well be straight up gods compared to the normal person, and they fight giant alien computers and satan and poo poo. Batman's a normal guy who spends most of his time fighting mafia and serial killers and all with only a lovely bat costume and fancy boomerangs. When that dude says 'no, seriously, no killing' it means a lot more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Glitterbomber posted:

When that dude says 'no, seriously, no killing' it means a lot more.
You can't be brave when you're invincible.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Colon V posted:

You can't be brave when you're invincible.
Keep it on the downlow but the mind is a thing that can be hurt.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Glitterbomber posted:

He really is. It's so easy to gently caress up 'man or monster' concepts but somehow Ben is constantly done as a phenomenal character.

Hulk's been hosed up a lot but that scene really was perfect for a character like that, he's been through it all, he knows exactly what it's like to have all that rage you have no clue what to do with, so he just lets pretty much the only dude in the Marvel universe who gets it do what he needs because he can handle it.

I think what makes it even better is how 99% of the time, Hulk and Thing hate each other.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

I think what makes it even better is how 99% of the time, Hulk and Thing hate each other.

I always viewed that antagonism as pretty one-sided. Sure, Joe Fixit was a dick to Thing, but he's a dick to everyone. The rest of the time Thing just takes out his insecurities on Hulk with little provocation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Flater posted:

Keep it on the downlow but the mind is a thing that can be hurt.
If an invincible alien from outer space gives you an order, you might follow it, but no way in hell do you expect him to have perspective. If a very mortal man who gets shot at on a daily basis does, that has significantly more weight.

It comes down to "never given an order you wouldn't carry out yourself", and in this case, that order is 'don't kill someone who could very possibly kill you'. Big Blue is physically incapable of carrying out that order, so it doesn't sit well. It's like a 16-year old upper-middle class teenager telling someone living on the street "don't steal, you can survive without it", versus a drifter who's never lived under a roof in his life telling you it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 17, 2012

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you don't think Superman is as mortal (and moral) as the next man, you don't have the slightest grip on the character, and seriously -- physically incapable? Are you saying that Superman literally can't kill or that Superman never faces down threats from beings that could kill him? Because neither is true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think they are saying that Superman doesn't need to kill most baddies because most baddies aren't a realistic threat to him. Whereas Batman would be a lot better off just killing the Joker.

This isn't entirely true I don't think, but there it is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think that's really loving underselling Superman.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I think they are saying that Superman doesn't need to kill most baddies because most baddies aren't a realistic threat to him. Whereas Batman would be a lot better off just killing the Joker.

This isn't entirely true I don't think, but there it is.
That's basically it, thanks. I'm not good at making words, apparently.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The current goings on in Fantastic Four reminded me of Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four #48, the final issue of the series. It starts off with Galactus at the end of time with some monitors showing his first battles with the Fantastic Four while it regularly cuts to the team acting like a family together. Future Galactus calls to them and requests their help, which they grant. The universe is about to end and it's his job to move on to the next big bang. Unfortunately, there are some immortal cosmic beings out there to stop him. Galactus needs the Fantastic Four to take them out so he can continue on.

Being that these guys are cosmic level, they ultimately overpower the team and they retreat back to Galactus' lair. The villains follow, showing that the Fantastic Four have utterly failed.

Some of the panels are too cheesy, but I always loved the idea that looking back at billions of years of existence, Galactus most fondly thinks about these four guys.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
Get your hands on a magical knife and Supes is just as mortal as Batman, and there's no shortage of magical poo poo in the DCU to use against him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Please stop this argument about how invincible/moral Superman is.

Gavok posted:

The current goings on in Fantastic Four reminded me of Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four #48, the final issue of the series. It starts off with Galactus at the end of time with some monitors showing his first battles with the Fantastic Four while it regularly cuts to the team acting like a family together. Future Galactus calls to them and requests their help, which they grant. The universe is about to end and it's his job to move on to the next big bang. Unfortunately, there are some immortal cosmic beings out there to stop him. Galactus needs the Fantastic Four to take them out so he can continue on.

Being that these guys are cosmic level, they ultimately overpower the team and they retreat back to Galactus' lair. The villains follow, showing that the Fantastic Four have utterly failed.

Some of the panels are too cheesy, but I always loved the idea that looking back at billions of years of existence, Galactus most fondly thinks about these four guys.

D'awww.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Similar to that, Galactus learns something new about his future and reveals something he's always dreaded in FF#16

I find it very heartwarming, and I love that last line.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Please stop this argument about how invincible/moral Superman is.

While JMS' Supes run before the reboot was pretty terrible, Chris Roberson (who took over the book after JMS was kicked off it) managed to save it by making it about Supes dealing with depression. There's some great panels in there where Clark's friends and family meet up with him and let him know how much they care about him. There's a great 'first meeting' story with Bruce and Clark pre-costume defending Xanadu (I think) from Savage. I don't have it on hand, but if anyone could post some from Roberson's run I'd appreciate it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Similar to that, Galactus learns something new about his future and reveals something he's always dreaded in FF#16

Hickman has officially surpassed Mark Waid as my favorite F4 author. I'm so bummed that he'll be leaving the books.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

What makes this for me is that Franklin refers to him as Galen and not just Galactus.

That last panel reminds me of Fantastic Four: The End, which isn't quite worth digging the panels out for, but it's still a great moment. There's this big space armada out to attack Earth and while the Avengers are more than ready to fight, Uatu the Watcher seeks out Galactus and tells him that Earth's in trouble. Galactus asks why this concerns him, since he couldn't care less about Earth or its people. Uatu slyly brings up that these people were able to fight him off and spared him years ago. They could have killed him and yet they didn't.

Later on, Galactus shows up to ward off the alien invasion. After he's gone, the heroes discuss why he did that.

"Maybe... maybe he actually likes us?"

"Yeah, as appetizers."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When did the whole Galactus' real name of Galen come about?

Aslo, did anhyone else get a sort of Destruction vibe between Franklin's look and art/message of those panels?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think Galactus was like an alien scientist or somesuch in an expired universe and was chosen somehow to become "the Galactus".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In the universe before the current marvel one Galen was a scientist who realized all existence was going to stop and superman'd himself into the center of the big crunch. When our universe formed, there was Galen, empowered to be Galactus.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Fantastic Four #588

everything about that artwork is gorgeous. Who drew this? I'd kill for the originals.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nick Dragotta

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just read this entire thread from start and have to say- you all are dicks for making me cry like a little girl.

Also, some of my favorite touching panels are from The Dark Knight Returns- two come to mind (My scanner is broken, but if someone has them to post, they would be Ballers to do so) One is where Supes is thinking about having to take down Bats and says, "We must not remind them giants walk the Earth." That was always a line that got me, and actually made me kinda like Superman, something I generally don't do.
The Next is where Batman saves Carrie Kelley from falling from the Bat Glider. He points out she doesn't scream, just reaches for him. After pulling her up he simply whispers "Good Soldier", but it is a moment where you can tell Batman loves Robin, no matter the incarnation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rough Lobster posted:

I think Galactus was like an alien scientist or somesuch in an expired universe and was chosen somehow to become "the Galactus".

And his name was generally spelled "Galan". I'm not sure when it got turned into "Galen".

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
It is probably an editorial mistake. His name is listed as Galan of Taa on the official Marvel Wiki.

I kind of miss the big G's ship. It always spoke to the melancholy nature of the character that his worldship was called the "Taa 2".

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lofidelity Media posted:

I kind of miss the big G's ship. It always spoke to the melancholy nature of the character that his worldship was called the "Taa 2".
The melancholy stops once you imagine a ship in the shape of Herve Villachez.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Lofidelity Media posted:

It's in Hickman's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

prefect posted:

And his name was generally spelled "Galan". I'm not sure when it got turned into "Galen".

It's probably one of those things where comic stuff gets muddled once or twice and they have to bullshit something up because nerds care about canon. Like how Dr. Banner(The Hulk)'s full name is Robert Bruce Banner because Lee hosed up his name in an early issue and called him "Bob".