Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
From Captain America 3 The response to The Ultimates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Superman getting pissed at you should be the ultimate sign you've done something questionable. To me, Superman, when he's pissed - he doesn't have glowy eyes and clenched teeth. He hits you with words.

Don't have the page, but from Greg Rucka's run: when Superman learns that a cop did something horrible to a suspect in custody, he picked up her badge, squeezed it into a lump of metal, and dropped it.

"You don't deserve this."

Its okay when he does it to teach you a lesson as he is disappointed in you yet thinks that you can still do good. However it is not Superman when he talks to you condensedenly and like you are superior to everyone like in Grounded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

The big problem with that aspect of Grounded is that Superman getting pissed is something he doesn't do often. Tell you "you've done something wrong" should be an exceptional event. Grounded made it... plain. It was the banality that was offensive.

Sorry that storyline just pisses me off so so much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

When you love a character, watching them written poorly is like watching someone you love get drunk and throw up.

I found it closer to watching someone you love become a meth addict.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One of hundreds of sweet, touching, sad, beautiful moments in Starman. Man, where is THAT James Robinson right now?

Killing small children

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Mind posting the source for that?

Secret Origin 1 or 2

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Heh, I just read Superman: Secret Origin this week, and after disliking most of Johns' Green Lantern run and all the Blackest Night/Brightest Day stuff and HATING Infinite Crisis, I enjoyed the hell out of Secret Origin. I was stunned that he actually GOT the essence of Superman, in a way that many writers never have. I don't usually follow Superman discussion, so did fans generally like the story? Was it popular? It definitely had that "movie treatment" feeling (as long as they cut the Legion chapter), but it was so much better than Green Lantern: Secret Origin and had more heart than most of Johns' other recent work.

He had a really good Superman run

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mark Waid really is the best. He is in my top 5 current writers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I got to meet him once years ago and he was just a big ol' fanboy, and I mean that in the best way. He just wanted to talk about comics and how awesome they were and how cool it was to get to write comics. He saw me walking by with a bunch of back issues and called me over because he wanted to see what I'd bought :)

The only real conversation I had with a comic writer was Jim Starlin and he told me how awful Captain Marvels original costume was.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 8, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Not a comic panel but comic related and Touching/inspiring
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435812&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I gave up on Marvel when Colossus died after injecting himself with some virus in X-Men about 7 years ago. He came back about five issues later. I hate that bullshit. Same with Captain America's "death".

He was dead for like 6 years. Also the same author who killed Captain America brought him back, it was always part of the story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe? That sure looks like and is priced like a hardcover, but it also looks like it says it only has the first issue in it? I could be reading that wrong.

Here it is on amazon and says its issues 1-4 http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Rick-Remender-1/dp/0785158111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324770648&sr=8-1
Also looks like issues are also going to be in spider-island

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 25, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Colon V posted:

Touching, but... couldn't they just adopt? :psyduck: Was having superpowers important for the child's survival or something?

Unless I am misunderstanding you it would not matter even if she adopted a kid, she would still forget them. It is a side effect of her power.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Colon V posted:

Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular. It's not that being unpowered hurts their chances, it's that being powered doesn't help.

Unless you are in New X-men. If you are unpowered then you might get blown up in a bus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Was this all done during his drinking days or was this after he sobered up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I sometimes wonder if the mountains of poo poo that get heaped on Flash isn't writers symbolically getting back at their own high school bullies. I hope not.

Yet now he is an avenger.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Didn't know whether to put this in here or the Badass thread, since it's a little bit of both. To summarize the best I can, Secret Avengers #23: A crew of Adaptoids kidnapped two random metahumans (a mother and son) and kicked the Avengers' asses, but Ant-Man caught a ride on their pants. When they were going to kill the mother, O'Grady springs into action that is way over his head. The mom dies and O'Grady takes an explosive arrow to the head while escaping with the kid. "Escape" doesn't really work though, since he's in an underground city full of adaptoids without backup.

At this point, he sees Beast and Hawkeye landing (since the other Avengers found the teleporter into the city, but they don't hear his shouts for help. The adaptoids chasing him do.

I am going to miss that rear end in a top hat

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

That's some good male-bonding support, superhero style. If I were bigger and tougher, that's totally what I'd do to help a friend who needed to let it all out: Do it, I can take it.

That whole issue was great with minimal dialogue. It also ended with Pete talking to Franklin and it is really awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The little blue Johnny Storm is a model of his memorial. I didn't realize this until I read through the script (posted in the TPB), but throughout all the issue Thing never looks straight at Johnny's memorial or the casket. He's just growing super mad over three-ish weeks and gets to finally let it all out on Hulk. Great scene.

He also feels that it is all his fault as he was not able to help due to being human at the time. In an earlier issue he took a potion that made him human for a week. During that week he had a great time walking without being starred at, going to a ball game, playing poker with his friends, and seeing Alicia. However then they were attacked by the negative zone while he was still human. He became the thing again right as Johnny closed the portal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Directorman posted:

Does the Sentinel live? :ohdear:

Yes it does

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

That's beautiful

Maus and Persepolis are two of the hardest comics to read.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Thunderbolts tie-in of that issue expands the conversation a bit more. The SI arc for Thunderbolts is really good and one of the few good stories between Ellis' and Cage's run.

That is Gage's run.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 2, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ron Perlman is awesome

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.302834343145044.66502.145844752177338&type=1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Spider-Man and Human Torch can be surprisingly :3:

FF #16

The it all goes to Hell in FF #17 as Johnny hooked up with MJ.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Man, they should have done something with pancakes. :buddy:

If the kid loved them then hell would never get their hands on him.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 16, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cassa posted:

Peter Parker never graduated High School? :psyduck:

What are you talking about there is a picture of him at his graduation and mentions him going to Empire State. However, if you mean Ultimate Pete something came up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

The idea that Aunt May was at Peter's dance, taking a picture of him sitting alone, is just making me die laughing.

Also the picture of Peter and Ben with the microscope since that is the day of or really close to his death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Buy some comics for a good cause
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40219

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

Arrow is good name. Arrow is a good dog.

Good dog, best friend.

Arrow<Thori

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Bendis really scored a home run with the writing this time around.

I think when he's trying to write CHARACTERS instead of writing cleverness, he shines. Which isn't to say he can't be clever, just that he's better (possibly unknowingly) at emotional moments like this.

See also Fall-out. You could post every single scene involving May, Gwen, and MJ in this thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I think it's more that you guys are cherry picking the good stuff; for every "Marvels" there are 10 things Lifield wrote.

But that is the way comics always have been. There has been some amazing stuff and some absolute crap

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

And Star Wars was a samurai movie with lasers. And samurai movies are Westerns with swords. And Westerns are structurally identical to 1,000+ year old jianghu stories with guns.

Your point?

To be fair one major western is a samurai with guns.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

^^ EDIT: http://www.theonion.com/articles/al-gore-places-infant-son-in-rocket-to-escape-dyin,2495/

Yeah, the fact that no one on Krypton wants to believe that their world could end because it's too terrifying to contemplate? That's just about the LEAST alien thing about them.

I always liked in TAS how Brainiac was hiding the truth and Jor-el was the only one that saw past him

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bloodly posted:

That's very accurate; even in the early ones he was fairer/'softer' than other Judges. I distinctly remember one of the early stories; thanks to constant high unemployment, people tend to go kinda nuts with little to DO, so a guy goes a little crazy, goes on a spree.

Dredd's response at the end of it all? 20 years Hard Labour(To which the guy is very happy-that's WORK, dammit!). One of the other Judges specifically called him kinder/softer than most would be in that one.

Then other time a kid tried to kill himself and Dredd charged him with loitering, Dredd saved him then changed him 90 days in the penal colony for being a public nuisance. Then another civilian tried to get the sentence lowered and she got charged first 2,000 credits then she talked back and got charged 4,000 for obstruction of justice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Due to all this intrest in Dredd should I or someone else make a thread?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Amazing Spider-man 122 You know the situation and the moment that Mary Jane's character changed for the better

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

Makes me think of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes Nothing in the Dark with Robert Redford as Death disguised as a wounded cop for the sake of gaining an old woman's trust.

"Am I really so bad, so frightening? You've talked to me, you confide in me. Have I tried to hurt you? I had to get you to understand. It isn't me you're afraid of. You understand me. What you're afraid of is the unknown. Don't be afraid."

They did the same thing in the show Supernatural. In fact there is a character that is based on death in it. You can also see a lot of influences from Hellblazer and Preacher in it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 12, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea Supernatural's Death is one of my favorites, he does the whole 'yea I have the power to kill you, I can do that to anyone at any time, it's mundane to me, relax' thing really well. He gets a few really good speeches too where he basically tells people to shut their holes because death gives zero fucks about god and demons and the grand plan for things.

Do not forget the character Tessa who looks and acts like Sandman's death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Do not forget to read Fallout before starting with Miles if you haven't.

Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6