Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I had a much better playoff rate before I started doing these tournaments with people that don't suck as bad as OLers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Also, simleague records get skewed by stupid gimmick teams (for example my all-Dave Kingman team that went like 41-121 or something)

HBD is definitely a different animal, though.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

jeffersonlives posted:

tbf unless you're building heavily polarized teams that are either real good or real bad (which would be me in both games), your playoff record is usually going to be worse than your regular season record due to quality of comp

I haven't even made the finals though in 8 tries, that is kind of lovely luck.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

gardenald posted:

HBD is definitely a different animal, though.

DiMaggio in particular is a different animal.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

saintonan posted:

DiMaggio in particular is a different animal.

DiMaggio is a dachshund with brain damage.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My 9th playoff appearance is about to happen. I've ridden my MDP ripoff team to a 110-49 record so far, and with any luck, i'll win another, or at least get to another world series!

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Not seeing many newbies in here. Please don't be scared off by all the inside talk; we'd love to see you join up.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

My 9th playoff appearance is about to happen. I've ridden my MDP ripoff team to a 110-49 record so far, and with any luck, i'll win another, or at least get to another world series!

Is THAT what that team is? Well, I'll probably wind up running into you in the playoffs, dammit.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gardenald posted:

Is THAT what that team is? Well, I'll probably wind up running into you in the playoffs, dammit.

Yep, and i'm glad you're making the playoffs over lazerhawks.

You're going down. This league is allllll mine!

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
there was also talk (mostly by me) of doing a wis/sas twitter book club and dumping it in here so as to have a greater latitude w/r/t selection

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My 15 last place team is so awesome. It's leading the league in runs scored and has the most runs allowed, going along with a .994 OPS and .970 OPS against. :madmax:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Power of Pecota posted:

My 15 last place team is so awesome.

Leading the league in ERA, only team not to allow a homer, Joe Fuckin' McGinnity.

This season's gonna rock.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Also 2006 Alfonso Soriano: .625/.667/1.500

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Zamboni Jesus posted:

there was also talk (mostly by me) of doing a wis/sas twitter book club and dumping it in here so as to have a greater latitude w/r/t selection

I want to do this

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Yeah, me too.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Bob Shabazz posted:

Yeah, me too.

I'm down.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
My champs and chumps team on a 7 game winning streak. :cool:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

I'm down.

I could get in on this

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I enjoy reading as well. Let's dooooooooo it!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I may also want to get in on it.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I love book

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
first thing then, book suggestions. no restrictions other than that they should be easily found.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Anyone who plays baseball sim games should read The Universal Baseball Association, Inc. J. Henry Waugh, Prop. by Robert Coover. Unfortunately, it's currently out of print. Fortunately, if amazon is to believed, there will be reprint in August.

So not very helpful but everyone remember to check that out if you haven't already.

edit: Robert Coover owns in general. The Public Burning is probably one of the most underrated books ever

gyroball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2011

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
So, after a few months of occasional goading by Bob Shabazz, I guess I'll give this a shot. I have a few questions though:

1. Which kind of league would be best for someone who's a first timer?
2. I will be probably be going on a weeklong vacation this summer. Will my team be totally screwed if I'm gone for a week?
3. This is kind of related to 2, but is there an iPhone app or does the WiS site work well in Safari? I could probably sneak in some basic team tinkering during said vacation.
4. Bob lead me to believe people with lots of credits will give a free season to people who were interested in joining a goon league. I assume I would be helped in this regard?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Groucho Marxist posted:

So, after a few months of occasional goading by Bob Shabazz, I guess I'll give this a shot. I have a few questions though:

2. I will be probably be going on a weeklong vacation this summer. Will my team be totally screwed if I'm gone for a week?
3. This is kind of related to 2, but is there an iPhone app or does the WiS site work well in Safari? I could probably sneak in some basic team tinkering during said vacation.
4. Bob lead me to believe people with lots of credits will give a free season to people who were interested in joining a goon league. I assume I would be helped in this regard?

I use WiS from my iPhone all day every day and it is fine. A week will not kill you as long as you can check occasionally to avoid fatigue hell. Any of our WiS goon leagues are fine for first timers or you can make an OL (open league) team. Those are teams with no restrictions other than you need 25 men and they have to cost less than 80m.

I have no credits to give :(

And welcome. We always like more goons. :glomp: Also, join HBD you can not be worse than Art :v:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If I win the RC World Series I will front Groucho for his first team.

Everybody root for me now!

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

AlleyViper posted:

You're up 3-1, I don't think you need the help :v:

(now that I say this you're hosed)

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Bob Shabazz posted:

You're up 3-1, I don't think you need the help :v:

Sure he does AV and epic playoff collapses go hand in hand.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

And if you don't win, and I end up winning the world series with my MDP ripoff team, I can give groucho his first team!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Groucho Marxist posted:

1. An open league or a Goon run theme league. Open leagues are open to the public and are generally the easiest of WiS leagues. A Goon run league will be very competitive and much harder (and also be more complicated, as the Goon leagues tend to place fun themes and restrictions on the draft), but you get the added bonus of talking with all of us during the season in the thread and learning from a good group of players. You can also run a 10 game exhibition season for free, but it's not of much use beyond getting use to the mechanics of the site itself.
2. Your team should be fine, and as for question 3, I've done entire drafts on my iphone on a train ride to work so you should be OK. There's no mobile alternate, but with a bit of pinching and pulling you can get to all the links OK in Safari. Never looked for an app before so there might be one.
4. Most likely someone would be able to if that's what it will take to goad you into joining us!

A great intro to WiS can be found in the OP of every Goon league thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3404167 OK damnit what happened to the WiS intro bumper? Ahh OK it's at the beginning of every Goon league SIGN UP thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401327

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 9, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Sure he does AV and epic playoff collapses go hand in hand.

boom

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

boom

Forged documents, do not prove a thing :colbert:

I have looked and there is no iPhone app. I even sent emails to them offering to make it for free because I want one and they said no :cry:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Their site is pretty mobile-friendly, though. I can't say I've ever had any issues on my Droid.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's a little clunky doing things on my Blackberry but there are far, far less mobile friendly sites so it's not too bad.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Bob Shabazz posted:

Their site is pretty mobile-friendly, though. I can't say I've ever had any issues on my Droid.

Oh I know but some of the HBD things like roster moves (having to click the tiny checks), making salary offers and searching FA could be vastly improved with an app instead of safari.

But I have 3 year of iPhone development and many apps I have made for the companies I work for, why say no to a free service. They can take my code and if they hate it never use it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here is my Rule V Dodgers team. I'm using Wes Parker at SS, this is going to be a fun season!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Dang, you guys are fast. I guess I'll join a goon league since people will be willing to help me learn the game. When is the next one starting?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Dang, you guys are fast. I guess I'll join a goon league since people will be willing to help me learn the game. When is the next one starting?

We're a quarter of the way through the current one, but we constantly join OL's, so next time there is a goon rush, we'll make it known.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

SimLeague, a couple of months. Hardball Dynasty, a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

SimLeague, a couple of months. Hardball Dynasty, a couple of days.

Would you recommend joining the HBD or being patient and waiting for the SimLeague or an OpenLeague rush?

• Locked thread