Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Cool! don't make the region too big so it's easy to fill up and doesn't get annoying to make it look good. My favorite region type is a big island so it's necessary to make it self sustained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Make an entire region out of medium sized maps with at least 1 map buffer zone in between cities, and lay out all the highways and heavy rail before you start building. :v:

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Awesome. My favorite part about watching an LP of SimCity is seeing it grow from nothing. And, based on what I've seen so far, you'll be able to make some really amazing cities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KillHour posted:

Make an entire region out of medium sized maps with at least 1 map buffer zone in between cities, and lay out all the highways and heavy rail before you start building. :v:

:argh:

As for my thoughts on SC5, the more info that comes out the less interested I am. The Glassbox simulation is very cool and I still have some hope that it might be fun for what it is, but I'm not expecting much.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
:woop:
SC4 LP is back!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Grand Fromage posted:

As for my thoughts on SC5, the more info that comes out the less interested I am. The Glassbox simulation is very cool and I still have some hope that it might be fun for what it is, but I'm not expecting much.

I don't think any new official Sim City will ever be the city sculptor that Sim City 4 is. Honestly I'm looking forward to a more intricate simulation, but 4 will continue to thrive I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Region.

It's a downloaded one that I cleaned up to my liking. I may add some more mountains.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Grand Fromage posted:

What info has come out that makes it seem less appealing?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't want to spread the bitching out too much but the small disconnected cities, no region customization, forced multiplayer, possibly no modding. They are doing an absolutely awful job of marketing and everything they put out makes the game look worse. I don't know whether or not it is actually poo poo but they certainly aren't saying anything to convince me it isn't.

The underlying simulation engine is really interesting though.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't want to spread the bitching out too much but the small disconnected cities, no region customization, forced multiplayer, possibly no modding. They are doing an absolutely awful job of marketing and everything they put out makes the game look worse. I don't know whether or not it is actually poo poo but they certainly aren't saying anything to convince me it isn't.

The underlying simulation engine is really interesting though.
SimCity: Quaint Neighborhood Edition is all we've been seeing from screenshots. Game looks like a snowglobe simulator.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It's a soul-crushing suburbia generator.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Physical posted:

SimCity: Quaint Neighborhood Edition is all we've been seeing from screenshots. Game looks like a snowglobe simulator.

SimCity: HOA Edition, play the game as the president of an HOA and rule the neighbourhood with an iron fist!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think we're almost presentable. Industrial demand is being kind of weird but this is the first time I've made a region from scratch with CAM so maybe it's doing what it's supposed to.

E: Seems that with CAM and the increased industrial jobs mod I can employ a whole lot of people with a lot less industrial zoning than I'm used to. I don't think anything's wrong. :buddy:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 30, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part 1: Asia-ish?

Welcome to the brand new region of joy.

This one will be sorta Asiany but not straight up Asia. For one, I'm way too lazy to plop rice fields. Farming will look quite American in comparison to what it really is around these parts. Second, I'm also far too lazy to go through my plugins, get out all the Asian ones, and make a new plugin folder of Just Asia for the simulation to draw on. So there will be a wide variety of buildings.

However, I'm going to be having a whole fuckload of trains and mass transit, and things will be going in the direction of Asia-level density. I'm also stealing Asian city names. The region itself is a pastiche, it's clearly based on Tokyo Bay but has some parts of Shanghai grafted in, and if you have a good eye you'll be able to find Hong Kong island just straight up pasted in.

Onwards!

Our very first town is going at this river mouth. I was using IrfanView to greyscale the map file and forgot to turn off the greyscale, so uh. These are pictures from the 1800s. Yes.

Our first little town.

As usual, I begin running rails out across the map. Starting with a single rail line that runs in a circle all the way around the harbor.

Along the way, drop a few towns and spread out the farmlands. It's the key to making a natural looking region. You don't just start an island of skyscrapers in a field, start rural and clump.

And put cities in logical spots. Right now the towns are mostly at river mouths that empty into the harbor.

This is our first industrial town.

This wiped out industrial demand across the whole region until I almost doubled the residential population. CAM, baby.

I have now noticed I was on grayscale and fixed that. This is Kowloon, which will be the anchor of the southwest.

One of the central small towns which will inevitably be swallowed into a conurbation of doom.

Progress on our initial town, Ishii. This is spreading out already into a neighboring tile, hugging the coast.

Miyazaki, the northeast corner of the central area. I think this'll end up being a rich part of town.

And our region, which currently has 350,000 residents. I haven't decided what kind of audience participation to have yet, I'm still kind of setting things up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 2, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That big island in the middle of the bay is begging to be turned into the worst hellhole on earth. Just sayin'.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

paragon1 posted:

That big island in the middle of the bay is begging to be turned into the worst hellhole on earth. Just sayin'.

By worst hell-hole you mean utopia for the rich, right?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

By worst hell-hole you mean utopia for the rich, right?

Nah, the utopia needs to be on the coast, so they can look across at the hellhole on the horizon and smirk at the poor saps they sent there to fuel their opulent lifestyle of excess and luxury.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Grand Fromage posted:

And our region, which currently has 350,000 residents. I haven't decided what kind of audience participation to have yet, I'm still kind of setting things up.

Setting things up and you are at 350,000 residents? How many hours did you put in so far? Can we get a transportationmap for the region? Remember this is SA, the audience will participate wether you like it or not.

Heren
Jul 11, 2012

Keetron posted:

Setting things up and you are at 350,000 residents? How many hours did you put in so far?

No kidding! I'm really impressed with how much work you're willing to put into this, Grand Fromage. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how detailed you updates for the previous areas were, so I'm really looking forward to that this time as well.

It also seems like we have an interesting area with the islands and such. I won't weigh in on anything until you work out how you want to handle audience participation, but I'm sure we'll be able to do something neat with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Keetron posted:

Setting things up and you are at 350,000 residents? How many hours did you put in so far? Can we get a transportationmap for the region? Remember this is SA, the audience will participate wether you like it or not.

Of course, I'd never cut off the goon desire for trains and misery. I just don't know if I want to designate Goon City. I'm leaning toward just playing as I like and asking for input wherever we happen to be at the time.

It's a really big region, I'll post up a couple non-thumbnails when I get home. One with city names and a transit map. 350,000 is just from establishing core cities to build around and gettin' mad cash for building.

I've maybe played 20 hours? I had a few vacation days and no money to spend. It's hard to estimate too because it's the kind of game you can just pop in and out of. I had it running collecting money in my barely-profitable farm town for an hour while I cooked dinner and read the forums. Is that playtime? :iiam:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course, I'd never cut off the goon desire for trains and misery. I just don't know if I want to designate Goon City. I'm leaning toward just playing as I like and asking for input wherever we happen to be at the time.

It's a really big region, I'll post up a couple non-thumbnails when I get home. One with city names and a transit map. 350,000 is just from establishing core cities to build around and gettin' mad cash for building.

I've maybe played 20 hours? I had a few vacation days and no money to spend. It's hard to estimate too because it's the kind of game you can just pop in and out of. I had it running collecting money in my barely-profitable farm town for an hour while I cooked dinner and read the forums. Is that playtime? :iiam:

Might I suggest letting Goons run wild by building the Kowloon Walled City?

Sunlight comes only rarely, with a sliver slicing down between the ramshackle towers. The light here is fluorescent and the people packed sardine tight amongst twisting corridors. Some of the lower levels are widely considered uninhabitable due to trash. Up the street (if it can be called that) there’s a drug parlor with an unlicensed “doctor” open for business upstairs. They exist openly: there are no police because there is no law.

The above is not a description of a dystopian (or utopian) fantasia, but of the Kowloon Walled City which was very real. From 1945-1993, a political loophole created a zone of Hong Kong where there was no law. The resulting anarchic, hodge-podge monolith was the descendant of the pirate utopias of old: a testament to humanity’s ingenuity, greed, violence and tenacity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Maps.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

...I don't suppose you're planning to go and add vegetation to that one completely sparse tile in the top-left? Please? For me?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Freudian posted:

...I don't suppose you're planning to go and add vegetation to that one completely sparse tile in the top-left? Please? For me?

I did since those were taken. Consider it a memorial for the precise moment when I said "gently caress it" after plopping trees for what seemed like forever.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Oh, I see a brown carton in Yokohama!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Opals25 posted:

Oh, I see a brown carton in Yokohama!

I cannot loving find that building. I've searched and searched my plugins.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some pictures I took yesterday. This is a pretty typical light industrial area in Korea. I think I'm going to post more pics like this of ASIAN CITY STUFF since that's vaguely what we're doing now.

Some kinda warehousey thing.

Slightly wider area.

There are even a few plants.

Then you turn around and there's this strip of rice fields between the industrial area and a little low-density neighborhood.

Farmhouse.

A little further on and there's this other warehouse/machine shop kind of thing on the right side of the road.

And this is on the left side, directly across. There's not much flat land in Korea so you get things that would be incongruous in the US. Farms right next to skyscrapers, industrial mixed into neighborhoods. Every flat surface has an old woman growing onions on it.

And there are these Fallout as hell buildings occasionally.

One more rice field. This one's across from three gigantic supermarkets and just south of the airport.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

I've just read through this thread, and I must say your ability to design and build such awesome cities has single-handedly inspired me to reinstall SimCity 4; I doubt I'll manage to approach your creative brilliance, but at the very least I think I'll be free from the "PERFECTLY OPTIMIZED GRID PATTERN" habit that's always stuck with me since the days of SC2k (the plethora of charts and numbers in the brick-sized game guide I owned didn't really help with that). I also like how you showcase the benefits that modding brings to the game, as I had no idea any of it existed and was always stuck with vanilla SC4 in the past.

Also, as an aside, why does the big brown box thing happen? A mod tries to build something when you haven't independently downloaded its image data?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Baconomics posted:

Also, as an aside, why does the big brown box thing happen? A mod tries to build something when you haven't independently downloaded its image data?

A building contains elements of another building which isn't installed. The building that is needed is park of some fuckoff stupid pack that's on some far-flung corner of STEX. So you go and download that pack and it installs a bunch of building which have their OWN dependencies so you have to go off and find the dependencies from THOSE buildings and the cycle repeats forever.

Oh yeah, and none of this is documented.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

A building contains elements of another building which isn't installed. The building that is needed is park of some fuckoff stupid pack that's on some far-flung corner of STEX. So you go and download that pack and it installs a bunch of building which have their OWN dependencies so you have to go off and find the dependencies from THOSE buildings and the cycle repeats forever.

Oh yeah, and none of this is documented.

This is why the SC4 modding community sucks.
Sure, they make some amazing things, but they're hell to get because everyone insists that you have to jump through crazy hoops to get anything. The two (iirc) sites that host SC4 mod archives require you to first of all be logged in to get access to downloading. Then, each download usually takes 3 clicks or so. Then after you download something you have to read the readme file and figure out any dependencies for that. Then you repeat that for the dependencies. Also make sure to check if you already have those dependencies, it's not always straight forward to do so.
This poo poo has been around for 9 years, why hasn't anyone made something simpler to use? They must hate users.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

nielsm posted:

This is why the SC4 modding community sucks.
Sure, they make some amazing things, but they're hell to get because everyone insists that you have to jump through crazy hoops to get anything. The two (iirc) sites that host SC4 mod archives require you to first of all be logged in to get access to downloading. Then, each download usually takes 3 clicks or so. Then after you download something you have to read the readme file and figure out any dependencies for that. Then you repeat that for the dependencies. Also make sure to check if you already have those dependencies, it's not always straight forward to do so.
This poo poo has been around for 9 years, why hasn't anyone made something simpler to use? They must hate users.

Look, it's not their fault if you aren't committed to the game. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Anyone that committed to the game should be committed to an insane asylum instead.

Finding dependencies for stuff sucks/ Especially if the dependent mod itself has been updated. I want to download someone elses mod to play with, not mod the game myself!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Anyone that committed to the game should be committed to an insane asylum instead.

Finding dependencies for stuff sucks/ Especially if the dependent mod itself has been updated. I want to download someone elses mod to play with, not mod the game myself!

And the dependency tree resolution and automatic download and installation is a solved problem by Linux package managers (among other things) for something like 15 years. (And the SC4 version of the problem is much simpler.)

(Of course the real problem is not the technical part, it's the egos of those involved.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's actually much better now than it used to be, I don't know when you guys started and if you saw the original clusterfuck. The majority of the dependencies now are in megapacks, once you have those (admittedly there are like 50 of them) you rarely have to download any other dependencies anymore. Originally you would be searching dependencies for virtually every single building.

It did make some sense then--dialup was still dominant and it could be a significant download savings. Now it's just ego and inertia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part 2: Stadtzentrum

We're in Taito, which is poised to be the middle of everything. I'm planning to do a lot of redevelopment later, but I figured I'd swap out this central road for an avenue now to save a bit of rebuilding.

Also, you know, eminent domain.

Bitches.

More industrial zoning so people don't have to commute so far to work. Some day hipsters will live here.

This new one is in the southern part of town.

Arise, smokestacks.

That's the other industry strip to the north.

Downtown for now, it's getting built up a bit.

the gently caress is that thing

I put up a few blocks of medium density commercial and apparently this skyscraper was put in the wrong density category. Oh well. I don't bulldoze it, we just have a weird incongruous skyscraper.

We also have random Asia neighborhood that grew without any interaction on my part. I've made it historical for now.

Speaking of history, every good giant Asian city needs the ancient (completely rebuilt in the 70s) palace complex in the middle, doesn't it?

So we have one too. I guess this will officially be the center of the city, seems only right.

The big palace doesn't have any night lighting so.

Also built a school. This kind of monstrosity is the standard school in Korea and Japan. Every school looks generally like this, though this one has grass for some reason. It's usually a giant sandpit out front.

I also built some rural areas.

I don't intend to ever build this area up, it's going to remain a rural land between towns, bisected by highways and high speed trains. Forgotten by both.

A bit more attention to the aesthetics since I know I'm not going to just grow a city into this eventually.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 8, 2012

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
That skyscraper is the real center of power, it must never be brought down.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Love the City 17 vibe that the skyscraper gives to the town.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The skyscraper fits perfectly in the architectural mess of most Asian towns. But where's the random driving ranges (never golf courses!) in the middle of nowhere?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sadly I don't think anyone ever made a screen golf building, so we will not have a forest of giant green nets crossing the city. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I bet whoever had that skyscraper built has a very small penis.

So who decided to have all schools in Korea and Japan look like that? Or rather, is there some reason that they all look the same?

• Locked thread